rare book collecting?

anyone else caught that bug?

i'm about to spend a few hundred of a limited edition 1953 copy of six nonlectures signed and by e.e. cummings. i spend $300 on a set of emerson books and an illustrated A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

To a nerd like me, owning either of these would have as much value as the beard of jesus would have to a believer:

"Universally hailed as the most influential work of modern times"

ULYSSES , WITH EXTREMELY RARE INSCRIPTION BY JAMES JOYCE

OYCE, James. Ulysses. Paris: Shakespeare and Company, 1924. Square octavo, contemporary full maroon cloth, black morocco spine label, marbled endpapers; original paper wrappers bound in. Housed in custom slipcase. $25,000.

or:

"ALL THIS YOU WILL SEE, AND MUCH MORE,
IF YOU ARE PREPARED TO SEE IT?IF YOU LOOK FOR IT"

"Manuscript Edition, handsomely bound and illustrated, number 349 of 600 copies, with manuscript leaf from his journal, entirely in Thoreau's hand, in Volume I.

THOREAU, Henry David. The Writings. Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin, 1906. Twenty volumes. Octavo, contemporary three-quarter dark green morocco, raised bands, marbled endpapers, top edges gilt, uncut. $22,000

wish a gift certificate, I just ordered a book about book collecting and collectors called "Among the Gently Mad." That title describes what i mean.

Thoughts?

I respect the hobby but it's not my thing. I am more interested in the information contained therin than the container itself.

I'm with Shibby. I almost bought some signed books by more recent authors on ebay but then realized I really don't need to start an expensive hobby right now.