Rashad Evans: There are many holes in Chuck's game

New interview with Rashad Evans. He talks about his win over Chuck, the criticism he's received about his celebration and his title challenge with Griffin.

On his fight with Liddell...

"I was definitely frustrating him. He was real upset I was moving like that because he couldn’t punch like he wanted to, you know?"

"After he hit me, I was like, 'Ah man, that’s it?' I knew I could take the power of his punch. When he cracked me, I was kind of circling and he dropped the right hand right on my chin and I was like, 'Man, that’s it?'"

"Honestly, I was trying to catch him with that left hook. Yeah, I was really trying to land that because Chuck always finishes with his left hand low so I knew the right combination would catch him."

"Yeah, there are many holes in Chuck’s game. First off, just not bringing his hands back to home base..."

"I knew I had to be the last one throwing punches. I couldn’t be the one to let him finish the combination off on me."

On a title clash with Forrest Griffin...

"If you credit a fighter with anything, you have to credit Forrest’s heart."

"I’m excited to fight somebody a lot like myself. We were both Ultimate Fighters and now its Season 1 vs. Season 2."

On the criticism he's received about celebrating...

"To be honest, I didn’t celebrate at all to be honest with you. I did a little inside joke with my people and that was about it. I didn’t get up and run around the ring with my arms spread out like the Iceman does."

"It’s so funny how people seem to forget how every single time Chuck knocks anybody out, whether it be Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz or Babalu, this dude is running around the ring like a mad man screaming, but when I do what I do, they get mad at me and say I’m cocky for celebrating."

"If you think about it, it’s like this, I’m not a white dude. My fighting style, that’s not how I move and they’re mad at me because I’m black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that’s just how I get down."

"Everybody does something. Like Anderson Silva does his dance, Thiago Silva does the throat slash and Brandon Vera does his Hawaiian surfer dance. Everybody do they own little thing, but they don’t want to say that at all. I do a little dance and they’re like, 'Oh my God that’s excessive.'"

A lot more in the full interview:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3428.html

"If you think about it, it’s like this, I’m not a white dude. My fighting style, that’s not how I move and they’re mad at me because I’m black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that’s just how I get down."

He's a complicated man, and no  one understands him but his woman.

Fear the riddum, IMO.

good interview other than the blatantly stupid race card getting played.

people weren't upset after the knockout because rashad is black, percy.

people haven't latched on to "Sugar" Rashad Evans because he layed & prayed on TUF2 and then his first 3 fights in the UFC.

also because the iceman is a HUGE fan favorite. don't expect to be cheered after knocking out the figurehead of MMA in north america.

Rashad is getting more and more respect with his good performances recently. Hell I'm giving him a good chance to beat Forrest.

I know these days its programmed into a lot of folks (both black & white) to play the race card no matter how rediculous the reason, but please, it's not necessary here.

People were upset after the knockout because they had sand in their vaginas.

Rashad and GSP are an unstoppable duo. Nobody else is innovating new riddum-boosting techniques like they are. The pre-fight nipple tweak is just the beginning.

he pulled the race card and he was correct in doing so. GSP does a backflip and breakdances and nobody says one word. Chuck does some crazy run around the ring pose and the UFC hires people to paint pictures of it.

"To be honest, I didn’t celebrate at all to be honest with you. I did a little inside joke with my people and that was about it. I didn’t get up and run around the ring with my arms spread out like the Iceman does."

He was doing a Fred Sanford imitation, no?

dangerboy12 - he pulled the race card and he was correct in doing so. GSP does a backflip and breakdances and nobody says one word. Chuck does some crazy run around the ring pose and the UFC hires people to paint pictures of it.

GSP hasn't had a boring fight in his Career. Chuck is Chuck. You're missing the point.

ChokeEmOut -  "If you think about it, it's like this, I'm not a white dude. My fighting style, that's not how I move and they're mad at me because I'm black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that's just how I get down." He just showed his ignorance in pulling the fucking race card, I swear to god they must be born with it or something. I didn't see a problem with his celebration or whatever, Hell I was actually waiting for him to do something, he seemed real calm and pacing after KOing Chuck.

Hold up...

RASHAD didn't play the race card...

His comment was in response to this question by the interviewer: "I got a couple phone calls afterwards with people saying they didn't like the way you celebrated and I thought it was comical because everyone seemed to like Wanderlei jumping on the cage and celebrating while Jardine was still unconscious.  I think a lot of it may be a carryover from TUF and I'll keep it real, I think some of it is the fact that you're black."

Again... that was the question...

Here's Rashad's Answer:

That's a lof of... people hate to say that.  They will never say that's what it is, you know what I'm saying?  If you think about it, it's like this, I'm not a wqhite dude.  My fighting style, that's not how I move and they're mad at my because I'm black.  I got sould or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that's just how I get down.  When I used to wrestly, I was the same way and that's just how I get down, but some people feel like I'm supposed to do it like they do it.  Its like, "Oh, that's not how it's supposed to be done." That's not the way you do it, but that doesn't mean that's not how I do it"

Rashad's comments got a bit out of context on this thread.

I agree that he showed his ignorance by playing that race garbage. It's not because he's black. It's the manner in which he celebrates. Chuck's post fight arm thing is not a taunting, condescending type of celebration, unlike Rashad's. Chucks's just releasing some of that built up testosterone. Rahsad's is more of a cocky, arrogant vibe. That's why people don't like it. Just m opinion.

"He just showed his ignorance in pulling the fucking race card, I swear to god they must be born with it or something."

Who's they?  And born with what?

OmegaPoon - 
MTomlinson - good interview other than the blatantly stupid race card getting played.

people weren't upset after the knockout because rashad is black, percy.

people haven't latched on to "Sugar" Rashad Evans because he layed & prayed on TUF2 and then his first 3 fights in the UFC.

also because the iceman is a HUGE fan favorite. don't expect to be cheered after knocking out the figurehead of MMA in north america.

Rashad is getting more and more respect with his good performances recently. Hell I'm giving him a good chance to beat Forrest.

I know these days its programmed into a lot of folks (both black & white) to play the race card no matter how rediculous the reason, but please, it's not necessary here.
you're an idiot if you don't think any of rashad's bashing has to do with race, come on man.  I'm white, and i know how retarded people are. 

I know people who will look for reasons to not like some black fighters, rashad being one of them.  It's pretty pathetic when I call them out on their hypocracy. 

"but he does , what a piece of shit!"
"ummm, but so does you favorite fighter _________"
"yeah... but.... ummmm"

yeah, because people hate Rampage and hate it when he howls after a fight.

please pay attention. the lack of respect Rashad has going into a fight with Chuck is his own doing. As I've already stated he layed & prayed in TUF2 AND for his first 3 fights in the UFC.

He's earning more and more respect with impressive performances but people aren't going to LATCH on to a guy fighting THE ICE MAN, they don't want to see him knock Chuck out and they don't want to see him celebrate if he does.

"people weren't upset after the knockout because rashad is black, percy."

LOL

That's not even what he referred to when he was talking about being black.

CRE - "that's not how I move and they're mad at me because I'm black"

He's right, I definitely agree.

You could smell the jealous racism on threads after Rashad ghetto blasted Chuck, fuck I mean being all quiet and shocked is normal I was like that also when the crowd was quiet, but the threads on here were hilarious..Then again why do I get the feeling if Anderson had danced all over the place after all of his fights, that it would be so cool or if he did the same thing Rashad did it would be so neato?

It's because Rashad is from the hood and American and Silva is a comic book nerd from Brasil who talks with a high pitched voice.

lol. then your flawed logic would apply to Rampage and Charles Bennett, but it doesn't.

to me it seems the obvious answer Rashad doesn't get a lot of respect is because of his performances, but I guess some people just have it programmed in to play the race card no matter how rediculous the scenario

OmegaPoon - 
ChokeEmOut -  He just showed his ignorance in pulling the fucking race card, I swear to god they must be born with it or something.

And you wonder why some fighters think racism still plays a factor?  lol

Agreed.

LMAO @ complaining about "playing the race card" but following up your sentence with one of the most racist remarks I've read on here.  Hilarious. 

OmegaPoon - 
MTomlinson -

yeah, because people hate Rampage and hate it when he howls after a fight.

please pay attention. the lack of respect Rashad has going into a fight with Chuck is his own doing. As I've already stated he layed & prayed in TUF2 AND for his first 3 fights in the UFC.

He's earning more and more respect with impressive performances but people aren't going to LATCH on to a guy fighting THE ICE MAN, they don't want to see him knock Chuck out and they don't want to see him celebrate if he does.

I never said fans dislike all black fighters.  Even Rashad referenced Anderson Silva's dance.  I simply said that rashad's race DOES play a factor in the hate that some people have for him.

lack of respect Rashad's doing?  He's had 2 brutal stoppages before this fight, and is undefeated in the most prestigious mma org in the world....  how dare some of those victories come via decision.

"they don't want to see him knock Chuck out and they don't want to see him celebrate if he does."

^^^ most ridiculous thing i've ever heard.  You're not supposed to celebrate after the biggest win of your career, and  HL KO of mma's biggest ko artist bc people are fans of him??? Anyone who doesnt go apeshit after that kind of ko, or gives rashad shit for his small celebration- is NO fan of mma.

dude i'm glad Rashad celebrated, he just had a career-defining knock-out and it was an awesome punch.

you've missed my point and I don't know how to state it more directly.

The general fan base will be upset with Rashad knocking out chuck as well as him dancing if he does. The sentiment is what it is because of Chucks popularity level (based on performance) and Rashad's lack of popularity level (based on performance) Whether fair or not, it has nothing to do with the fact that Chuck is white and Rashad is black

The Sultan -  "He just showed his ignorance in pulling the fucking race card, I swear to god they must be born with it or something."

Who's they?  And born with what?

I LOLed at this also

believe me, if Rashad had finished fights, or even had entertaining fights for the first 3/4 of his UFC career - he'd have fought Chuck a lot sooner than he has.

And anyone pretending Rashad wouldn't have 5x as much stock as a fighter if he was white is fooling themselves. It might not mean anything to you, but look at the MMA demographic and say that with a straight face.