Rashad Evans: There are many holes in Chuck's game

weldon - "If you think about it, it’s like this, I’m not a white dude. My fighting style, that’s not how I move and they’re mad at me because I’m black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that’s just how I get down."

I agree that he showed his ignorance by playing that race garbage. It's not because he's black. It's the manner in which he celebrates. Chuck's post fight arm thing is not a taunting, condescending type of celebration, unlike Rashad's. Chucks's just releasing some of that built up testosterone. Rahsad's is more of a cocky, arrogant vibe. That's why people don't like it. Just m opinion.

That's truly ridiculous.  Honestly, not a word of that makes sense.

OmegaPoon - 
MTomlinson - believe me, if Rashad had finished fights, or even had entertaining fights for the first 3/4 of his UFC career - he'd have fought Chuck a lot sooner than he has.

Good thing guys like Brock Lesnar are finishing fights to get there title shots!

while you think you've picked a freak anecdote to prove me wrong, you've actually proved me right.

brocks title shot comes paired with a history of success in amazing fashion that, while in the WWE, has garnered him a huge fan-base. Something Rashad has been unable to do at any point in time of his career.

but please, continue with the self-pwnage if you like

"I agree that he showed his ignorance by playing that race garbage. It's not because he's black. It's the manner in which he celebrates. Chuck's post fight arm thing is not a taunting, condescending type of celebration, unlike Rashad's. Chucks's just releasing some of that built up testosterone. Rahsad's is more of a cocky, arrogant vibe. That's why people don't like it. Just m opinion."

FYI, your opinion is incredibly moronic.

"lack of respect Rashad's doing?  He's had 2 brutal stoppages before this fight, and is undefeated in the most prestigious mma org in the world....  how dare some of those victories come via decision."

I totally agree.

"Good thing guys like Brock Lesnar are finishing fights to get there title shots!"

Well played.

lol @ the mental midgets

Midleah - "To be honest, I didn't celebrate at all to be honest with you. I did a little inside joke with my people and that was about it. I didn't get up and run around the ring with my arms spread out like the Iceman does."

He was doing a Fred Sanford imitation, no?

Yes, yes he was but he was also being black and that does not sit well with the fans. He may not want to but if he wants to get respect he is going to have to start training white and hope he gets his black belt in white really soon.

He should train with Goldie, imo

OmegaPoon - 
lol, yes, because everything i post in this thread is meant to be a direct response to you.

never said that, but your quote was in direct response to me hence the reply - LOL

OmegaPoon -

Obviously a fighter needs to be exciting in order to grow a fanbase, which will give them better chances at big fights.

It gets them a better chance at getting people to like them, which TRANSLATES into bigger fights. Rashad is still working on that. Yes, he's gotten much better.

OmegaPoon -

If someone still finds reasons to hate on the guy after 3 brutal victories, I have to wonder what their real reason is.

this "Hate" you think you're seeing is just some demented paranoia that everyone is racist. People were UPSET with the victory and the dance because of who he just did it to, the most popular guy in the sport.

OmegaPoon - But you've done nothing to disprove the opinion that Rashad's being black is ONE of the reasons some fans dislike him or criticize his style, which was my only point.

I've also done nothing to disprove the opinion some people dislike Rashad because of the color of his shorts. but those numbers are too small to be significant, just like the handful of blatant racists that dont like Rashad because hes black. We live in 2008 not 1820.

"My fighting style, that’s not how I move and they’re mad at me because I’m black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that’s just how I get down."

Lol. Rashad does not have soul or rythm. He looks like a goof half the time. He is not graceful in the ring. The two Sugar Rays were the epitomy of grace and rythm in the ring. Rashad having sugar as a nick name is extremely inappropriate.

CRE - "
It's because Rashad is from the hood and American and Silva is a comic book nerd from Brasil who talks with a high pitched voice.

I think this is a pretty good observation. It’s not necessarily Rashad’s skin colour that bothers people but rather his body language and mannerisms, which is that of an average black American.

I think the reason it doesn’t happen to Rampage as much, is popular culture has made “hip hop/ghetto black” mainstream and “cool”.

Rashad doesn’t fall into that category. He’s just a regular black guy. He doesn’t have a grille or rap (to the best of my knowledge) but he’s not white-washed either. Apparently he doesn’t fall into what is acceptable for black people to be like.

Compared to Chuck, Rashad is extremely soulful and rhythmic.

theraydiator - 
ChokeEmOut -  "If you think about it, it's like this, I'm not a white dude. My fighting style, that's not how I move and they're mad at me because I'm black. I got soul or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that's just how I get down." He just showed his ignorance in pulling the fucking race card, I swear to god they must be born with it or something. I didn't see a problem with his celebration or whatever, Hell I was actually waiting for him to do something, he seemed real calm and pacing after KOing Chuck.

Hold up...

RASHAD didn't play the race card...

His comment was in response to this question by the interviewer: "I got a couple phone calls afterwards with people saying they didn't like the way you celebrated and I thought it was comical because everyone seemed to like Wanderlei jumping on the cage and celebrating while Jardine was still unconscious.  I think a lot of it may be a carryover from TUF and I'll keep it real, I think some of it is the fact that you're black."

Again... that was the question...

Here's Rashad's Answer:

That's a lof of... people hate to say that.  They will never say that's what it is, you know what I'm saying?  If you think about it, it's like this, I'm not a wqhite dude.  My fighting style, that's not how I move and they're mad at my because I'm black.  I got sould or rhythm or whatever you want to call it, but that's just how I get down.  When I used to wrestly, I was the same way and that's just how I get down, but some people feel like I'm supposed to do it like they do it.  Its like, "Oh, that's not how it's supposed to be done." That's not the way you do it, but that doesn't mean that's not how I do it"

Rashad's comments got a bit out of context on this thread.

Niagra is the hood?

ill admit that did take me 5 minutes. lol.

i think i've made my point clear. people latch on to favorites because of their performances in the octagon.

Legends like Chuck will always be the fan favorite and unfortunately whoever faces them will be the "villain" in this case, Rashad.

what drives me batshit crazy is when people can't see the obvious reasons why Rashad recieves the criticism he does and instead puts their retard cap on and cries racism.

people don't have a problem with Silva or Rampage, and no matter how many dumb reasons people try to explain that hole in their theory (i.e. CRE saying Silva is too nerdy to be black), it remains true and defiant of any lame race card argument played for Rashad.

ChokeEmOut - He just showed his ignorance in pulling the fucking race card, I swear to god they must be born with it or something.

Those people.

I'm an admitted Chuck nuthugger and Rashad did absolutely nothing wrong, before, during or after the fight. He was not taunting, or mocking the Iceman in any way.

CRE - 
MTomlinson - believe me, if Rashad had finished fights, or even had entertaining fights for the first 3/4 of his UFC career - he'd have fought Chuck a lot sooner than he has.

Instead he fought tough ass competition, finished those who he could finish and won against those he could not, he had a draw with former Champion Tito Ortiz and he has improved since then.

Nobody wants to give him credit, if this was Shogun there would be 20 threads about how Pride owns the UFC and Shogun is the best p4p fighter > A.Silva.

I am sorry to inconveniently expose your racial and TUF bias, the truth is this, Rashad is better than your favorite Pride fighter and Rich Franklin would do the same thing CroCop did to Wanderlei.

UFC UFC UFC

lol dude, I give, and have given Rashad a lot of credit in this very thread. I also think Rashad is a great fighter, and predicted him to be champion. Do you read everything? or just pick & choose?

My efforts in this thread have been to point out the complete lack of substance behind the race-card argument used to explain Rashad's respect level (or lack-thereof) within the UFC fanbase (both hardcore and casual).

I find it highly ironic that you just called me a racist, despire having said nothing at ALL racist within my posts. That's what I mean behind the whole "programmed race card playing" thing people have.

I wonder if you even realize the irony.

MNFAN - I'm an admitted Chuck nuthugger and Rashad did absolutely nothing wrong, before, during or after the fight. He was not taunting, or mocking the Iceman in any way.

ditto

i was really starting to like rashad and giving him a chance then he pulls this race bs. way to make a mfer not like you asshole. he didnt celebrate any more than any other fighter. hes been finishing fights. then he goes and says dsome retarded shit like this. im from liking him alot to now, hes ok, cause of one dumbass comment.