rashad's striking WAYYYY overrated

he has some quickness and some power but technically, he is not that great...particularly with that cat like front hook he throws out there.

for those of you that think he could actually stand with machida ask yourselves this...when is the last time rashad has had a SUSTAINED successful striking period during a match? against brad imes?

I think he has improved. I think he will do well (far better than many have) and possibly even win.

i agree

It's hard to measure the level of overrated-ness with things like this, but he still has some of the best striking at 205.

I think that much has been proven.

Of course there are still things he needs to work on.

ok...the most recent fight was against forrest...where clearly rashad was losing the standup battle...is machida inferior to forrest in terms of striking?

no. bascially forrest now tries to be what machida is...that technical, elusive striker that mixes things up

the only way rashad wins this is if he can take and keep machida down...imo rashad's wrestling is about equal to titos

I think Lyoto wins this, but Rashad has improved his striking and has decent power. Best of all is that he has Jackson gameplanning every fight. He has a pretty darn good chance IMO.

goku - ok...the most recent fight was against forrest...where clearly rashad was losing the standup battle...is machida inferior to forrest in terms of striking?

no. bascially forrest now tries to be what machida is...that technical, elusive striker that mixes things up

didn't he drop forest during that fight, leading to the stoppage on the ground?

dropping someone like that IS winning the stand up.

"for those of you that think he could actually stand with machida ask yourselves this...when is the last time rashad has had a SUSTAINED successful striking period during a match? against brad imes?"

When was the last time Machida had a SUSTAINED successful striking period? One straight punch and one weak leg kick per 90 seconds of dancing is not a sustained period.

forrest tired to kick rashad and got taken down

"When was the last time Machida had a SUSTAINED successful striking period? One straight punch and one weak leg kick per 90 seconds of dancing is not a sustained period. "

in every single one of his fights...sustained doesnt mean punching every 2 seconds, it means winning a whole round or multiple rounds that involves a lot of striking

this is in contrast to rashad, who basically only wins stand up excahnges via one-hit knockouts

this is relevant to determine overall striking ability

Pretty over rated KO'd Chuck, TKO'd Forrest, pretty tought fighters. IMO Rashed's boxing is better then Machia, but not better then Rampages!!!!!

Pretty over rated KO'd Chuck, TKO'd Forrest, pretty tought fighters. IMO Rashed's boxing is better then Machia, but not better then Rampages!!!!!

id completely disagree except IMO bisping outpointed him

yea...forrest oustruck him and he is precisely overrated b/c he kod chuck, who has forever been known as THE super striker in the ufc...well guess what, everyone kos or drops chuck these days...and chuck was winning the standup b4 he got kod

goku - "When was the last time Machida had a SUSTAINED successful striking period? One straight punch and one weak leg kick per 90 seconds of dancing is not a sustained period. "

in every single one of his fights...sustained doesnt mean punching every 2 seconds, it means winning a whole round or multiple rounds that involves a lot of striking

this is in contrast to rashad, who basically only wins stand up excahnges via one-hit knockouts

this is relevant to determine overall striking ability

Actually that is not what sustained means. It may be what you meant but it is not what sustained means.

ttt

"
Actually that is not what sustained means. It may be what you meant but it is not what sustained means. "

really... enlighten me webster

Most MMA fighters aren't technically great at striking anyway, they just get the job done ala Liddell.

Rashad is "good" enough to hurt Machida bad

Rashad will take away elements of Lyoto's game. Lyoto will probably figure out that those foot sweeps wont work on a guy with Rashads center of gravity and quickness. Lyoto may also fear kicking Rashad to prevent takedowns. I do think that Lyoto will win though. Rashad will have a hardtime counterstriking with a guy that has the reach-quickness-approach of Lyoto.

Rashad's best bet is to revert to wrestling and hope that Lyoto isn't to elusive to avoid it.