Rastus-OT Prophecies fufilled

Ezekiel 37

The Valley of Dry Bones

1 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the LORD and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. 2 He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. 3 He asked me, "Son of man, can these bones live?"
I said, "O Sovereign LORD , you alone know."
4 Then he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones and say to them, 'Dry bones, hear the word of the LORD ! 5 This is what the Sovereign LORD says to these bones: I will make breath [1] enter you, and you will come to life. 6 I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD .' "
7 So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone. 8 I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them.
9 Then he said to me, "Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe into these slain, that they may live.' " 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet-a vast army.
11 Then he said to me: "Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They say, 'Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off.' 12 Therefore prophesy and say to them: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: O my people, I am going to open your graves and bring you up from them; I will bring you back to the land of Israel. 13 Then you, my people, will know that I am the LORD , when I open your graves and bring you up from them. 14 I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the LORD have spoken, and I have done it, declares the LORD .' "

So the prophet is saying that at some point, the dead will be called back to the living.

"Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel"

Is this to say that only Jews will be resurrected? Or could it mean much more than just the Hebrews?

They say, 'Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off.'

Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel...I will bring you back to the land of Israel.

I believe again we are getting multi prophecies w/in this but many view this as one of many scriptures promising the restoration of Israel. Israel was dispersed in 70 a.d. and in 1948 became a nation again.

No. This is an End of Days prophecy. It refers to the generation lost in the desert, they will be ressurected and brought back.

All righteous souls, Jewish and non-Jewish will be brought back.

MS, do you believe that the "regathering" of the Jews in 1948 is both a fufilment of prophecy and unique and miraculous?

This passage from Ezekiel, actually, illustrates precisely the problem I have with these prophecies - no one really knows what the prophet means.

So we prop the text up with assumptions to mean specific things...but, depending on which assumptions are used, the actual "meaning" becomes as much dependent on the assumptions as it does on the text itself.

I have no idea EXACTLY what the prophet is talking about...whether he's being metphorical, whether he's being literal...basically, I don't really know what he means. I don't know if he's making reference to a specific belief that was popular back then, whose context is now lost in time's evenescent mist, whether there are Hebrew puns lost in the translations...

...and neither do any of you.

It is unique and miraulous but it does not fulfil the prophecy. The prophecy refers to those Jews who died in the generation lost in the desert. When they are ressurected and brought to Israel, it is fulfiled.

"The prophecy refers to those Jews who died in the generation lost in the desert. When they are ressurected and brought to Israel, it is fulfiled. "

martial_shadow,

Was the context made plain in different passages of Ezekiel? How do you know to what the prophet was specifically refering? btw, your explanation sounds tight to me because it minimizes assumptions that prop up the meaning (Occam's Razor).

37:24 And My servant David shall be king over them, and they all shall have one shepherd; they shall also walk in Mine ordinances, and observe My statutes, and do them.

Hence, it is a Messianic prophecy. It is assumed that it is the generation from, thedesert

Many times a prophetic verse is seen as having multiple fufilments. I would definitely say that Israel regathering in 1948 is prophetic. I just don't have time to gather all the verses. What's your thoughts MS.

What is the singnifigance of 1948?

Since in the same chapter he mentions, the King who is a descendant of David, we know it is a Messianic prophecy.

Isn't that when Israel was "reborn" as a nation?

Yes but you are not thinking in terms of Judaism. Remember, we have our own calendar. 1948 = 5709, nothing special that year.

Rooster, I am not saying "You are wrong because...."

I am saying that the entire chapter (including verse 24) indicate that it is an End of Days prophecy to be fulfiled by Moshiach ben-David. For all I know, I and mainstream Judaism, could be wrong. It could indicate that G-d will ressurect the people who died in the time of Ezekiel who were out in the desert too long. Simply, the common belief is that those who died in the desert (everyone except Joshua and Caleb) will be ressurected (minus those sucked into that firey pit).

MS

MS, while the date may not be significant isn't the event significant. Don't' you find it miraculous that israel is back in her own land?

Miraculous?

With that insane war against palestinians?

Your concept of miracle is surely different from mine...

Miraculous in the sense that here was a culture that was dispersed in 70a.d. to the four corners of the earth. Despite intense persecution and genocide (not just with Hitler, but Stalin, Europe at various times, the Catholic Church, Muslims etc.) they were regathered to their original homeland. They did not lose their sense of ethnic or cultural distinction despite being surrounded by varying religions, and cultures. They were not wiped out by inter marriage. Consider that most of their contemporaries are long gone.

Concerning the Palestinians...they were given a chance under the Balfour declaration to have their own land. Israel agreed, and they disagreed and went to war. They lost. They continue to believe they can blow up women and children and old people to get land that was never recognized as theirs. There never was a Palestinian Homeland. The Romans renamed Israel Palestine as a put down of an ancient enemy (Philistines) and the land prior to being Israels was part of a colony of Brits, or Jordan, Egypt, Syria, or the ottoman turks etc.

OK, we are not going to let this thread DEGENERATE into an Israeli-Palestinian discussion- we have the OG for that and it will stay there!

While I think it is miracoulous the Jews lasted as long as they did without a state and maintaining their identity, given our cultural baggage, it was completely possible. We write everything down and teach it to uor kids.

Yes, having Jews from Europe, the Arab world, Central and even East Asia come back under one roof and all at the Kotel is wonderous and gives one a feeling that G-d is near and helping us along, that is all true.

MS

Don't you also believe it is prophetically promised and has been fufilled?

No. It is stated that this will come about when the Messiah sits on the throne, how could it happen before?