Rate this workout.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beginner-to-advanced-bodybuilder-in-12-weeks.html

I started on this yesterday and I was wondering what you guys think.

Thanks.

Stopped reading after phase 2... I would never do anything off bodybuilding.com nor would I get any of my own fighters to follow a program like it.

Theres too much of a rest to work ratio and extremely non-functional. Especially with so many flies and crunches... Try the forums there to see if it works ;)

SandC - Stopped reading after phase 2... I would never do anything off bodybuilding.com nor would I get any of my own fighters to follow a program like it.

Theres too much of a rest to work ratio and extremely non-functional. Especially with so many flies and crunches... Try the forums there to see if it works ;)
I see. Thanks! and yeah, I'll be checking the forums there ahah

Leigh - rate it for what?

Just needed your opinion on it. Well the title should have the word "opinion" rather than "rate". My bad.

It's not a bad bodybuilding routine. Too much volume if you do other sports, but you're just concentrating on improving your appearance this could work well.

I honestly don't have a problem with isolation exercises as he's recommended them -- doing light sets of 12-20 reps of flys and laterals after heavy pressing is good for shoulder health provided you don't take them seriously and push your luck with the lbs.

Honestly, any meathead gym rat could put together a program like that in 30 minutes or so.  That is great he has a lot of paper credentials, but there is absolutely nothing different in that than any other lame bodybuilding workout.  Here are some of the problems I have with it:

1.  You are telling me that this is a muscle building workout plan, and nowhere in the 12 weeks does it suggest you do deadlifts?  The single most important muscle building movement (imo)?  Really? 

2.  One of the major focus of the workout plan seems to be training the small muscles rather than the big ones.  Some workout days have 4 arm specific movements.  Calf raises?  Get the f out of here. 

3.  Why so much focus on bodyweight abs if you are trying to build muscle? 

4.  The plan suggests that you have at least 50 minutes of rest for some of the workouts.  Either cut down the rest, superset or use fewer movements per workout.  Most people cant spend their entire day at the gym. 

Its cool this guy has a great resume, but this workout plan will not help you get stronger or more athletic and I would say it is questionable that it will spur muscle growth any better than you average mens fitness workout plan. 

Mark Rippetoe has what, some college and that's it? And yet he routinely destroys exercise science Ph.D. folks in discussions of weightlifting.

Guy's credentials are nice and suggest he may not be a total moron, but on the flip side, I don't think Steven Hawking would be the best bet for writing you a new routine...

RDL is a fine substitute for conventional deadlifts -- typically the preferred DL varation of Olympic lifters.

If you're not interested in powerlifting there's almost no point in deadlifting off the floor. Breaking the bar off the floor is where most noobs fuck up and hurt themselves anyway.

The problem for most powerlifting dudes is they think how 'they' train is how everyone should regardless of goals.

turducken - 

he has you doing squats, bench, overhead press, barbell rows and romanian deadlifts, but i guess those are all worthless isolation exercises because they are in a bodybuilding.com routine.   and what is wrong with bodyweight ab exercises or calf raises?  its fucking ridiculous to say that this program will not help you get stronger or spur muscle growth.  you guys are just blinded by your bias against the website hosting the program. 

We get it dude, is this guy your buddy or something? 

I think you missed the point.  My point is that there is way too much volume and that there is not enough focus on major muscle groups.  I didnt say that every movement in the workout plan was a bad movement. 

I dont even care about the website posting it.  I go to plenty of different websites and read articles.  The thread is asking what we thing and I was just stating my opinion, and that was that this workout plan is shit.  

HarryLime - RDL is a fine substitute for conventional deadlifts -- typically the preferred DL varation of Olympic lifters.

If you're not interested in powerlifting there's almost no point in deadlifting off the floor. Breaking the bar off the floor is where most noobs fuck up and hurt themselves anyway.

The problem for most powerlifting dudes is they think how 'they' train is how everyone should regardless of goals.

If you injure yourself doing sets of 10-12 reps doing deadlifts, you probably have an underlying issue you need to address before lifting anyways. 

I dont think your last statement is entirely true.  Of course, there are meatheads of all variety who believe their method is the only method, but myself and almost all of the other guys I train with who have a powerlifting mentality have an open mind to alternate styles of training.  I use olympic lifts, plyo's, I sprint, I box.  They are all tools to acheive whatever your goal is. 

This workout program is like using a hammer to build a house rather than a nail gun.  There are much more efficient ways to get the job done.  Yes, I am sure you will see some kind of results from this.  But there are much better ways to get the result in a more efficient fashion. 

turducken -  getting your phd in exercise physiology and going on to become a fellow at yale medical school studying the effects of exercise and diet on muscle tissue is pretty damn impressive and relevant....lol @ saying he "may not be a total moron"

Good, so you got my point, hyperbolized as it was :-P

To make it closer - who would you trust to train a BJJ'er, Rickson (who has a HS diploma as far as I can tell) or the average exercise science Ph.D.?

The folks with doctorates often know a lot about a field in general, and they often research one specific thing pretty closely, but to suggest that any particular degree conveys some magical level of knowledge - I guess I'm just too much of a skeptic, esp. when it comes to exercise. I've heard too many academic types say things like "squats are bad for your knees" and that's the extent of their knowledge on it, etc.

And he's from Yale - so what? How many bodybuilding champs came from Yale? How many Olympic lifters? How is Yale any kind of mecca for weightlifting? Who is so bad-ass at Yale in the field of lifting that a degree from them is that impressive?

Don't get me wrong - I have a doctorate myself, please don't think I'm bagging on academics. Then again, maybe I am, I know far too many of my own colleagues who think their degree in one area makes them an expert in something else entirely ;-) And as far as Yale goes, I attended Harvard before finishing my degree elsewhere, and I can think of no discernible difference between Harvard and the schools where I finished my undergrad degree or my doctoral training...