Rather sloppy bloodfest

between Tommy and War.

Good win for Tommy

what heart, that choke looked deep several times. damn that was a sweet cut/knot....

but fuck did he comeback to win the round with 100 unanswered blows. good win

He ground and pound did look really weak, especially for someone who said that was one of his strong points. There's a good chance his arms could've been worn out from defending that choke, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I was pretty impressed with his heart, though. Most guys would've been finished there.

I don't think Tommy won the first round at all. They were both gassed badly. Probably best it didn't go to a third round.

"His ground and pound was terrible."

It couldn't have been that bad. War Machine had to be helped back to his corner at the end of both rounds.

His ground and pound was terrible.

He ground and pound did look really weak, especially for someone who said that was one of his strong points.

I thought his top control was pretty damn good.  He stayed busy, passed guard, went for the submission.  To say it's "terrible" or "weak" makes you sound like a fool.  He took a fairly bad cut, in a tough spot so it bled right in his eyes, very early in the fight.  Then defended the RNC before completely dominating his opponent.  I'd say his GNP worked quite well for him.

I don't think Tommy won the first round at all.

You'd be wrong, then.  Tommy was as close to finishing the fight as War was, and Tommy dominated a longer portion of the round.  War had no answer for the position he was in for the last half of the round and if it weren't for time limits I believe Tommy would still have mount on him.  Hell, the guy barely made it back to his corner.

His gnp did look a little weak.

"You'd be wrong, then. Tommy was as close to finishing the fight as War was"

Didn't Tommy tap? I thought I saw it, and then someone yelled, he tapped, he tapped!

"Hell, the guy barely made it back to his corner."

He was gassed from trying to choke him out for three minutes. Him not making it back to his corner had nothing to do with getting layed on for the last part of the first round.

I've held a choke that long and my arms were rubber after . I'm not sure what these guys do to get past that.

Didn't Tommy tap? I thought I saw it, and then someone yelled, he tapped, he tapped!

I could be wrong, I mean, I've only seen about 10,000 fights, but I don't think the judges can consider a "possible" tap out on their scoring criteria.  He either did or he didn't.  Ref didn't see it.  War didn't say anything about it.

He was gassed from trying to choke him out for three minutes. Him not making it back to his corner had nothing to do with getting layed on for the last part of the first round.

I've tried to choke guys a lot better than me for longer than that and not gassed.  Also, I don't think he had Tommy's back for 3 minutes...I'd go watch again but I already deleted it from my DVR.  I'll just say that it takes a LOT more out of me personally when I have a guy on top of me that I can't get off of me than it does for me to keep attempting the RNC.  Tommy was relentless more than he was devastating from mount and, IMO, that is what gassed War.  I would choose to pick my shots from mount like that and make them all count, but I'm not fighting in the UFC and it seemed to work well for Tommy.  He dominated.

"I've only seen about 10,000 fights, but I don't think the judges can consider a "possible" tap out on their scoring criteria."

Me either. Never said anything about that being part of the decision.

"I've tried to choke guys a lot better than me for longer than that and not gassed."

Good thing Tommy wasn't fighting you tonight.

Good thing Tommy wasn't fighting you tonight.

I said I TRIED to choke guys for longer than that.  Never said I accomplished it.

His wrestling was superb.

"Never said I accomplished it."

But you said you didn't gass, which is clearly what War did.

I thought Tommy's gnp looked like it was lacking in power as well, but
DAMN, he must have lost close to a pint of blood, which IMO took its toll
on his power.

"Tommy was using Hughes "Wet Blanket" style of fighting,what happened to stand ups when theres no action."

Any ref who stands a fight up while a fighter is mounted is retarded. Tommy passed quickly and stayed busy. Sure, he didn't cave his skull in but he was striking and it was unanswered.

Nice win by Tommy.  Good heart by both guys.  Too bad Hughes was the winning coach.

His G'N'P lacked a ton of power. War Machine would've been quick to give-in if he landed a couple of hard shots. Luckily Tommy is working with Hughes, who fits his style.

At this rate though I can't see Tommy going to far, he has heart, no doubt. But if you can't take the guys back then his opponent will use that to their advantage if he gets mounted.

Also good luck in the future to war Machine, looks like he has gone through some tough issues in his life. Especially some self-esteem issues, hope he gets those sorted out cause his fight game can suffer as a result.

I say rematch at UFC Fight Night

So he did tap. Thought so.