Rattlesnakes..............dog, cat

OK this may qualify for a full OG attack or possibly being labeled the dumbest question on the OG, however, I think have a few other threads that may fit that bill.

Rattlesnakes, TME

Looking at a piece of property/house that sits at the top of small mountain, with very nice views etc.

Someone that lives at the base of the hill/mountain mentioned mucho rattlesnakes in the area. After asking around a bit it is confirmed the area has a lot of snakes especially rattlesnakes.

My main concern would be what type of danger this presents to pets in a yard, dog/cat.

Is this a deal killer ? or typical of any rocky area ?

Recently heard of a rattlesnake vaccine for dogs.

Anyone have info ?

It'd be a tough sell for me. Rattlers are killers.

Have them knock the price down a bit for some pest control!

Rambo,

The area has caverns, and lots of limestone.

I hear the caverns are "breeding grounds" or favorite homes for the rattlers.

Lot of large rocks, bluff like areas in the woods.

About 30 to 50 yards behind the house are large rocks with a ledge or cliff like drop.

Would be very nice to build a flat deck in that area of the woods, but all the talk of snakes is making me rethink that idea...

Im new to snakes too man. We get these fuckers at work, and I find out today, I kid thee not, we dont have antivenom on site.

Fuck those snakes, if it bites me I gotta avenge myself before I die Phone Post

clattymine - It'd be a tough sell for me. Rattlers are killers.

Yep hear ya loud and clear.

The view from the elevated back porch is very nice, as in state park type nice.

There are many things I like about the place, the thing making me hesitate now is the idea of placing a dog in a yard with a reputation for rattlers.

The dog stays inside most of the time, but I want the ability to leave her in a fenced yard when needed.

Locals stress the importance of keeping the yard neatly trimmed/cut.

Rambo John J - twenty gauge works well.

lol figured a Ruger Single Six with the 22 magnum cylinder and snake shot would be a constant companion...lol

Get a honey badger. They will take care of the snakes, they just don't give a fuck. Phone Post 3.0

williepep -
clattymine - It'd be a tough sell for me. Rattlers are killers.

Yep hear ya loud and clear.

The view from the elevated back porch is very nice, as in state park type nice.

There are many things I like about the place, the thing making me hesitate now is the idea of placing a dog in a yard with a reputation for rattlers.

The dog stays inside most of the time, but I want the ability to leave her in a fenced yard when needed.

Locals stress the importance of keeping the yard neatly trimmed/cut.

Well what kind of fence? Chain? Put up a wooden one. Phone Post

Phone Post 3.0

They have schools that train dogs to avoid snakes.

My dogs father was bit on the foot by a rattlesnake and died. He was a big 100 lb Airedale and a boss. Phone Post 3.0

I lost a dog due to a rattlesnake. Horrible experience. Best advice I can give is to go to stop-snakes.com. I killed 7 rattlesnakes in 2 summers. I have not seen one since getting these. Well worth the money if you love your dogs. You can keep your dogs safe. I've done a lot of research and taken precautions on my property. PM me if you have any more questions. Phone Post

Mix6APlix -

Big bad man JJU in action!

I wish I was that fearless. The first one I killed I was throwing rocks and running. Then I hit it with a shovel and it started chasing me. I was totally immasculated by a snake. Phone Post

jju - I lost a dog due to a rattlesnake. Horrible experience. Best advice I can give is to go to stop-snakes.com. I killed 7 rattlesnakes in 2 summers. I have not seen one since getting these. Well worth the money if you love your dogs. You can keep your dogs safe. I've done a lot of research and taken precautions on my property. PM me if you have any more questions. Phone Post
If you don't mind me asking, were you with your dog when it was bit? How long did it take for the effects to start? Phone Post 3.0

Rambo John J -
williepep - 
Rambo John J - twenty gauge works well.

lol figured a Ruger Single Six with the 22 magnum cylinder and snake shot would be a constant companion...lol

Anything will work including a shovel.

Just be cautious of the head even if severed, as it will bite for up to a day after death..

Bury the head as bees will eat it and if you get stung they will have venom in them.

Small rattlers do not control their venom at all and usually are the worst to be bitten by.

If you have a fence Dog should be OK, just no long grass or debris piles.

The rock cliffs and caverns are breeding den territory as they help to regulate a snakes body temp during summer and winter.

JJu is correct that if you go on patrol you are usually able to control the population because the snakes are territorial.

A live snake is worth 25-40 bucks in Northern California to the anti-venom collectors.

I know a dude that catches $500 worth is a couple hours.

Couple things. I don't go on patrol. Sadly I'm not that macho. Those were snakes in my back yard or on my front porch. Fence isn't really any good unless you get snakes fencing about 3 feet high. A snake can get through a hole about the size of a pen. I haven't seen a snake on my property since getting these sensors from stop-snakes.com. Phone Post

TexDeuce -
jju - I lost a dog due to a rattlesnake. Horrible experience. Best advice I can give is to go to stop-snakes.com. I killed 7 rattlesnakes in 2 summers. I have not seen one since getting these. Well worth the money if you love your dogs. You can keep your dogs safe. I've done a lot of research and taken precautions on my property. PM me if you have any more questions. Phone Post
If you don't mind me asking, were you with your dog when it was bit? How long did it take for the effects to start? Phone Post 3.0

I was out of town. Three snake was in my back yard. The person watching her didn't know she got bit. She died in her crate. Phone Post

They legalized rattlesnake hunting for a little while where I live and even put out a bounty on rattlers as they were becoming a big nuisance. Some dudes took it up as their profession and eliminated most of the population, I know it fucked up the ecosystem a bit but I fucking hate rattlers.

My friends German shepard was killed by a rattlesnake, his dog was like 95 lbs. Cant recall age of dog-6 or so. And another friend had a lab, older dog, survived but was sick for like a week. This happened in las vegas. My Dog was stung on the nose by a Scorpion, didnt do much except casuse minor swelling and benadryl is all they told us to give him.

But damn- When I was stung by a baby bark scorpion, my hand was like dead for 3 days- felt as if it wasnt there. Crazy shit

TexDeuce - They have schools that train dogs to avoid snakes.

My dogs father was bit on the foot by a rattlesnake and died. He was a big 100 lb Airedale and a boss. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the info, I have had heard too much bad information, most of which is "dogs just swell up, but don't die from bites."

I know this is not true, but surprised at how many times I have heard these type of comments.

JuicedBeast - 

I'd be very hesitant if making that purchase. I take it you don't have young kids? I'd be very worried about them if they're in your near future. If you buy the house make sure you take your dog and have it snake trained, it's a must. Living and hiking in Arizona I've had mine to snake training and its worth it. As soon as my dogs hear or smell a rattlesnake, they stop and walk the other way. Phone Post

It would be a must, my dog wants to chase and pounce on anything that moves.

The first person to mention the rattlers was a lady at the bottom of the hill/mountain, who suggested not moving there with small children.

Apparently there is a story floating around about a lady sliding/driving off the side of the road. Once her vehicle was trapped in the ravine she was apparently killed by rattle snakes. A state trooper confirmed the death snake bite story.