Ray Cappo (YOT Frontman) Talks BJJ, 10th Planet...

Aware it's all the rage on the UG to love/hate 10th Planet again at the moment, a fairly topical interview is up over at FIGHT! from legendary hardcore frontman Ray Cappo, of Youth of Today, Shelter and Better Than A Thousand.

He talks of his early BJJ training under the Machados, going no-gi with Bravo and earning a living as a yoga instructor.

It was an odd combination: one of the forefathers of straight edge hardcore training with a jiu-jitsu instructor who was unapologetically devoted to the joys of cannabis. Cappo’s abstinence from drugs and alcohol and his strict vegetarian diet made him the butt of playful jokes inside the academy. “I always felt secure in who I was, and I’m still very secure in that,” he says. “As far as Eddie goes, I felt like he had something pretty valuable, so I thought, I’m just a student and I’ll take what I want and don’t take the other stuff. And I think they respected me—if you put in so many mat hours, they have a type of respect for you as a cultured fighter.”

He also goes into diets, living off juice for 18 days and being the fittest he's ever been as a consequence amongst other stuff.

Check it out:

http://news.fightmagazine.com/disengage-ray-cappo-is-in-the-world-but-not-of-it-3675/

Ray, in his former role.

Pretty slick. Ray has always been a cool dude.

As a semi-controversial statement though I'll say I liked Bold more than YOT.

Iron Yuppie - Pretty slick. Ray has always been a cool dude.

As a semi-controversial statement though I'll say I liked Bold more than YOT.

Saw Bold when they did their reunion tour a few years ago. I preferred the Crippled Youth stuff!

Interesting stuff. I preferred Judge to either Bold or YoT.

I liked Judge, I came out to their cover of Blitz's "warriors" for one of my fights... Judge weren't really Youth Crew like those other guys though. Bit harder.

Ray has one of the hardest guards to pass. When you think you finally passed a foot would somehow be in front of your face blocking you.

as another "straight edge" grappler I train a 10pjj as well but never been made to feel any discomfort about my decisions..

~Grapplechaun

Underdog.

A little west coast, Chain Of Strength!

Bold actually is still kicking with Porcel on 2nd guitar minus Drew and Zulu

I remember their 7" record that you played at a different speed and got a full album... *time warp makes my head hurt...

Great live band... (for a second generation straight edge band not from DC.)

Uniform Choice and 7 Seconds also rock.

You don't see energy like that at today's shows anymore...siiiiigh

Malex1 ftw!

I was a roadie for Better Than a Thousand on their 1998 U.S. Tour. I can attest to the fact that Ray would always try to get us to train with him on patches of grass, on the floor of clubs, etc. He was ALWAYS watching the original Renzo/Kukuk tapes in the van, but we would always make him fast forward the tapes to the end just to watch the fights. Truth be told, he tortured us so much with those tapes that I think one of the guys in the band "lost" the tapes somewhere in Utah or something like that.

^^ Really? Wow. That's cool!

Some interesting input on this thread guys, thanks.

Saw underdog a few years ago on their reunion too, probably the best show I've ever been to, an all dayer in Manchester with loads of good UK/Euro bands. Was insane: Break It Up, Nothing Done, Justice and some more.

This thread needs Gabe Ruediger, big HC man.

skimhead - I was a roadie for Better Than a Thousand on their 1998 U.S. Tour. I can attest to the fact that Ray would always try to get us to train with him on patches of grass, on the floor of clubs, etc. He was ALWAYS watching the original Renzo/Kukuk tapes in the van, but we would always make him fast forward the tapes to the end just to watch the fights. Truth be told, he tortured us so much with those tapes that I think one of the guys in the band "lost" the tapes somewhere in Utah or something like that.

I think I saw BT1k at the Cocadrie in SF on that tour...maybe with the Nerve Agents or Redemption 87? Man that was a while ago! The Lusty Lady was across the street even hahaha...

ttt for YOT and better than a thousand
this is turning into a hardcore thread.

I'm certified; have used Cro Mags, No Warning and Judge as entrance music!

Who's got any good old school stories then?

I have a million Ray Cappo stories...One time we were at a show in Los Angeles, CA and he said "when are we gonna roll, man!". My girlfriend at the time thought he said "MOLE". She asked, "Is that a punk rock term???".

I met a dude years ago who claims Ray Cappo borrowed his entire Pride FC/UFC video collection and never gave it back ha ha.

I have a Youth Of Today (Break Down The Walls) LP test pressing for all you record collecting nerds!!!

PS: Nardcore!!!