RE: Commission in Sask.

Prince Albert is looking at setting up a city athletic commission, because we don't have a provincial one.

source: http://www.panow.com/node/154326

"For Dionne, the move is about taking a step forward where the province has yet to. There are talks to create a provincial commission but in its absence, something is needed, he said.

“At the end of the day, it should be a provincial commission because they’d be self-sufficient if they governed the whole province,” he said. “We’ve been asking the province two years and the bottom line is they’ve just been dawdling on the issue.”

With council’s approval, the commission will now slowly come into existence.

Dionne also made a motion last Monday to prevent any city-run facilities from being rented for fighting sports until the commission is created. Council also agreed on that."

So... will this help get a provincial body in place, or hinder the process? Thoughts?

Personally I'm hoping that it really is a step in the right direction.

what shows even happenin PA? Any?

There's a show called "R U Tuff Enuff". I don't know anything about it, but some people have mentioned it in the comments.

And, what a bunch of ignorant comments. Some people seem to think a commission is a bad idea and will drive fight shows away from the city. They also seem to think it is reasonable to let the fighters worry about their own health and safety.

Some people need to be educated on safety.

Could be a good thing if the right (knowledgable) people are involved with the commission.

I really haven't heard much about MMA in PA,except for a few shows that basically let any untrained guy fight for them. If it helps promote shows like that then i think it's a bad thing. Phone Post

bravo13 - 
Some people seem to think a commission is a bad idea and will drive fight shows away from the city. They also seem to think it is reasonable to let the fighters worry about their own health and safety.

Some people need to be educated on safety.

That's scary.

Any commission set up in Sask to regulate PRO fighting is illegal whether it be a municipal commission, provincial commission or your grandmas commission as there is NO Prov legislation allowing it at this time.

Once legislation is passed then a system will be developed to regulate Pro MMA here. It will be decided by the Gov if the commission will be a Prov one overseeing the entire province (Manitoba) or allow for municipal commissions to regulate their cities (Alberta).

Even if a mayor and counsel of a city in Sask wanted to create a commission for Pro MMA it still would not be legal until the legislation is in place.

Chris, glad you are part of the discussion as you know this stuff.

What about for amateur mma? Can a city commission oversee amateur events?

I know pro events are a ways off here, and we have some great amateur events, like the one in Regina last weekend.

Ammy is obviously a grey area however my understanding is that a municipal commission could oversee Ammy MMA if that commission were recognized by a Prov Gov agency. For example, the SMA works with SaskSport and is insured/sanctioned, etc by same. So the SMA oversees all of its members events whether the event be a grappling tourney, Karate tourney, ammy kick boxing, ammy MMA etc. If an ammy promotor outside of the SMA were to approach a Gov agency such as the sports/parks and rec dept, SaskSport etc and make arrangements with them to put on an ammy event where all the proper precautions etc were met then it could be done.

We all know that there are some very shady events that take place in Sask. Ideally when legislation is put through it will allow for a commission to cover both PRO and Ammy events making it actually "illegal" to put on an event outside of the commission and enforceable by police.

bravo, who's the motivator behind the commission? is this a promotor driven attempt at regulation?

as chris said though... its all illegal anyways.

jkennedy - bravo, who's the motivator behind the commission? is this a promotor driven attempt at regulation?

as chris said though... its all illegal anyways.

Excellent point.

The problem with a lot (not all) of promotor driven attempts at commissions is that the promotions interests are priority not the fighters or the sports. Corners get cut to meet the promotions needs and wants at the cost of the fighters and inevitably the sports as well. You end up with the promotor policing his/her own events, makes no sense. I'm not going to take "The Word" of a promotor that my opponent has completed medicals, has a legit record, etc. Only a third party which has the best interests of the fighters and sport as priority can be put in that position if MMA is going to be viewed as a safe and legit sport. The really good promotors don't even want to be put in that position anyway, they don't need the liability.

That's the thing that really bothers me. You get promoters who genuinely love that side of the business and may have at one time truly understood the position of the fighter but that's not how they put food on their table anymore. Once you make the move to that side of the table your focus becomes, as Chris stated, your own priorities which can run into conflict with fighter safety.

I've been on fight cards where I had to take 'the word' of a promoter where it came to medicals and what not. Never again.

The push for this is coming from a city councilor. Now, I don't know if he is involved in a promotion of any kind or not.

I agree that the object of a commission needs to be the safety of the fighters. And I can see where a promoter being involved could be either real or perceived conflict of interest as Chris said.

For me, I look at this strictly as a fan. An informed fan who is genuinely concerned about fighter safety. I can see a day in Sask where a commission could be self-sustaining and provide doctors, judges and refs for events.

I have been fortunate enough to see some Manitoba events from behind the scenes. It was quite interesting and educational. There is a commission guy in each dressing room overseeing the taping and gloving. There are two doctors on site as well as EMS. etc. etc. I talked with one of the commission guys that was in the same dressing room I was. He didn't seem to know a lot about fights or mma, but he knew his duties for that night. No extra gauze or tape that wasn't supplied by the commission. He checked to make sure the taping job was done as Big John had instructed. That sort of stuff. The fighters were taken straight to the doctors room following their fights to be checked out.

It all ran very smooth. It was cool to see things from that perspective as opposed to a fan sitting in the audience.

That's greats that a city counsellor is getting on board, and it's even better that the city solicitor is involved according to the article. Its even better that it's being looked at in PA as that city has hosted and continues to host a ridiculous amount of unsafe events in Sask. Every event I have seen held in PA has been embarrassing to MMA, Ammy or otherwise. I wouldn't classify those events as MMA but rather old school Tough man fights. I can only hope they involve people who are educated in the MMA world to assist in setting this up.