? Re: my son. Electrical or Mechanical Eng'g?

Alright faggots, came here for some OG advice. I know there are a couple of Eng'g peeps that post on here but I want a consensus from the OG. Long story short, my son was in BioChem for 1.5 years with the intent of becoming a pharmacist. He has been working as a Pharm Asst for about 3 years and told me that he can't see himself doing the pharmacist gig after seeing what they do on a daily basis so he decided to switch over to Engineering to follow my path (my background is Mech. Engineering). The first year is general Eng'g meaning all courses are common and he just finished his first year. he is doing really well in school (had a 87% average coming out of BioChem and after this past semester will have close to a 90% avg going into 2nd year). He told me that he wants to go into Electrical instead of taking my route of doing Mechanical and I told him to go for it.

I graduated over 20 years ago and I had friends who graduated Electrical and I remember them telling me it was hard as fuck but doable (as was Mechanical). Anybody here switch over from Mech to Electrical or do both? If so, what were the big differences relative to content of courses, level of difficulty, etc?

TV/VCR Repair

mechanical.. i have EE friends and they all say tech changes too fast and they're constantly having to update their skill set

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. - 

mechanical.. i have EE friends and they all say tech changes too fast and they're constantly having to update their skill set

I was kind of thinking the same thing but the core stuff taught in Mech and Electr don't really change rather things are upgraded. Also Electrical Engineers typically make more money.

Jhay - 

TV/VCR Repair

This man knows what's up. New technology called Beta will be taking over the industry in the next few years, mark my words.

My brother and sister are EE ...you need to be very good at math ....what does your son not like about being a pharmacist ? Being an EE ain't any better 

What does he want to do? He'll be fine going into either field so long as he enjoys the field itself. 

I think electrical is a bit harder than mech but I believe they also get paid a little better. 

I'm mechanical and save for diff eq and a one or two other classes I didn't think the curriculum was THAT tough, hard but I was able to finish 3.0 overall with a 3.7 in engineering and I still managed a lot of fun. 

dios - 

My brother and sister are EE ...you need to be very good at math ....what does your son not like about being a pharmacist ? Being an EE ain't any better 

The thing that turned him off about Pharmacy was seeing first hand the scrutiny Pharmacists go through with corporate (the owner is a franchise owner) regarding cost cutting, employees making mistakes via a wrong script, etc. He also didn't like the fact that your basically stationary for the time your at work, the bs dealing with customers (including those who are prescribed drugs coming off of opiads, etc) and that it was basically a zombie type of job. I told him all corporate type of jobs (including eng'g) had the same bs to some extent but that's why you get paid the big bugs (pharmacists in our area typically get paid $45 - $50 / hr when they graduate was what I was told by recent graduates). The funny thing is that the Pharmacists son basically is doing the same thing that my son is doing and is currently in 3rd year eng'g (this did not have any impact on my son's decision btw).

Regarding math, my son excels in it at the university level. He got a 89% in Differential Calculus, 99% in Integral Calculus and a 95% in Statistics for the Sciences so that is not an issue at all.

clattymine - 

What does he want to do? He'll be fine going into either field so long as he enjoys the field itself. 

I think electrical is a bit harder than mech but I believe they also get paid a little better. 

I'm mechanical and save for diff eq and a one or two other classes I didn't think the curriculum was THAT tough, hard but I was able to finish 3.0 overall with a 3.7 in engineering and I still managed a lot of fun. 

He told me that basically he wants to graduate and start making some serious money (no joke). He does well in all STEM courses to date so he basically could of chose any path but he got sick of all the labs via BioChem which also turned him off. I finished with a 2.9 overall all but I had too much fun fucking around but was able to maintain a half descent average regardless. I agree with Electrical being a bit harder (talking to other EE's and remembering my counterparts talking about it when in school).

Funny thing is I introduced him to a prof who taught me who just finished teaching my son and he basically told my son that if Eng'g is what you want to do, do it but maintain at least a low to mid 80% avg so you can keep options open to do something else after graduating. The prof's son finished Mech Eng'g and after working for a few years, he went back to school and ended up becoming a doctor.

Sell crack

BrckNoHitBk - 

Sell crack

Why sell crack when you can sell drugs legally (pharm) making a shit load of money?

Does your son go to Mac?

shaqitup - 

Does your son go to Mac?

No Windsor. Granted not a Waterloo or UofT but still a half descent program. Also with his grades he should have no issue doing his matters at the above 2 if he chooses to in the future.

^masters = matters because ELM..

The biggest difference between electrical and mechanical engineering in my opinion is that EE deals more with abstract concepts where ME you can always relate concepts physically.  However, today there are so many videos on YouTube that do a very goood job explaining these concepts.