Re-watching cyborg vs Tonya

cyborg is going to break hollys head

AnotherDecision -

cyborg is going to break hollys head

Yes I belive so to,holly can't ko cyborg with a "hiii-yaahhh" so I think she's n trouble lol
mikethecricket -

Great thread.

WMMA really does give us some awesome fights.

It really does and it makes me scratch my head when mma fans say they are die hard fans and then say they can't stand wmma....I'm like wtf? Some of the female fighters are so tough and insanely skilled and fun to watch I just don't understand the hate,how can you hate on joanna? Or thug rose, cat zingano, fucking VALENTINA SHEVCHENKO!!! watching cyborg kill her fellow wmma fighters...I get pumped to watch most of the wmma matchs
AnericanFootball -
Gandhi -
Andersons from the matrix -
Bobby Lupo -

Good breakdown. Let's not forget that Evinger was a replacement fighter who was clearly out of shape, fighting a division up, and relied on toughness and heart in that fight. She's nothing at all like Holly. 

I like Holly for the upset in this fight, but I'll be honest and say that save for the Ronda destruction, she's been an almost complete disappointment in MMA. Holly fought up to her skills exactly one time since turning pro in MMA, and it was against the best women's fighter there is/was. Holly wasn't just a boxer in a cage, she was a complete, brilliant MMA fighter on the night she destroyed Ronda. 

A lot of fans think of that fight as Holly's 'Buster Douglas Moment'. Buster was supposed to be the next Ali/Holmes, but he had trouble pulling the trigger as a pro early in his career. When he fought Tyson in Tokyo, Buster Douglas was everything he was hyped up to be—just like Holly was against Ronda. 

Then Buster got crushed by Holyfield and ate himself into a diabetic coma. 

Holly's subsequent MMA performances reek of 'gym fighter'. She's a skilled athlete, but she hasn't put it all together, before or since Ronda. She should be wrecking Meisha Tate on the feet, and not getting submitted like it's her first day grappling. Holly should be clowning these girls, and she's not. She looks like she's giving 30% and sparring. She even pulls her punches as if bouncing and coming up short on jabs (the Clay Guida method) are going to win her fights. 

So, Holly is either a one-night-wonder, or someone who fights to her competition. It shouldn't take more than 3 minutes to figure out which. 

This is the first time in a decade that Cyborg is fighting a girl close to her size with a pulse. Holly is probably her equal as an athlete, probably close in physical strength, but Holly is a better trained striker with better footwork and fundementals. I would not be a bit surprised if it's Holly ragdolling Cyborg in the clinch. 

Should be an interesting fight. 

I agree with absolutely everything u said until right at the end bro lol. And yes if you look at just the facts she def. Has followed the same kind of path as buster Douglas in mma,she was on top of the world when she beat ronda,everyone was ready to see her in action again,and then it was like she wasn't the same fighter,gun shy,not as active as she was in that fight,sadly I think despite her potential it's because of rondas style that won her that fight in that exciting fashion,ronda was incredibly (almost comically) reckless just coming straight at holly with her chin up like a pissed off teenager and that was exactly what holly needed to shine. So I think she needs a reckless idiot in order to look that great again. otherwise she "hiiiii-yyaahhhs" her way thru the whole fight throwing fients and jabs that never hit the target. old cyborg would probably get destroyed by rushing at holly throwing looping punches,but cyborgs last few fights have shown that's not the fighter that is going to show up on fight night. Also like I said the only point I didn't agree with you is the clinch part,I believe that is cyborgs greatest tool in her arsenal and holly not gonna be able to equal or better her in that area,but that's the beauty of mma and why we watch,is because that's just my opinion and we won't know until fight night lol.

This. It's not that Holly was "on point" the night she fought Ronda but more to do with styles make fights. Same way she wrecked Betch, because Ronda and Betch have nothing for Holly style wise. Holly was beating Meisha 4 rounds to 0 (imo) but has never learned to be comfortable on the ground or atleast in competition setting. Anyways good breakdown and good discussion guys, I'm really looking forward to this fight too!

Meisha is also really good on the ground. That big titted bitch is overlooked so much it's crazy. 

I don’t overlook her lol

You guys overrate Borgs power by a long shot.  She does not have one strike KO capability. Period. Who has Borg ever KO’d with one strike? Nobody. Holly’s head kick is a more powerful attack than any of Cyborg’s strikes.  Cyborg wins by overwhelming her opponent and allowing the ref to stop it.  She never has just KO’d an opponent .

When she fought Tonya, she was tentative and she got caught with a few strikes.  In my mind she was exposed. Tanya showed no real fear and that screwed Cyborg up a bit.  

I think that Cyborg is an old bag of steroids and one day (maybe not this fight , but maybe so) she is gonna step into the cage with nothing.  Just shooting blanks. Mark my words. Cyborg will lose soon.  Might not be to Holly but it will be soon. 

I’ll take Holly by 4th round stoppage.  

Cyborg is/was so freakishly (and chemically) physically strong, she was able to Rampage-Arona slam a 230lb Tito Ortiz from his triangle (she may have cracked his skull) when they were rolling. 

Like, NBKfan, I don't rate Cyborg as a monster power puncher. She has a good punch, but it's her overwhelming physicality that makes her dangerous...against a class of fighter who lack the necessary skill to do anything about it. 

Holly's footwork and lateral movement might present a problem for this new, patient, EconoBorg version who fought Evinger. Unlike Cyborg's previous opponents: Holly is actually good at something. A huffing and puffing, beer bellied version of Tonya Evinger was able to eat Cyborg's shots and return heavy punches.

The black cloud hanging over Cyborg fights will always be PED and hormones, but does anyone truly believe that Holly passes the eye test? Does anyone belive that she was never on the potion herself?

When I bet by looking at odds that look off. Holly at +300 looks off. I do not believe that Cyborg is 3x the fighter Holly is. Holly has been tested on the biggest stage and passed, then failed spectacularly. Cyborg's only major fight happened 10 years ago, and it was a sloppy mess. I see this as a close-to-even fight, with the advantage to Cyborg because of her ground game, But I don't see it as +300. I bet the +300 fights that seem off. I've hit on a bunch like Coleman-Bonnar and Tito-Bader. The UG laughed, I made money. 

Andersons from the matrix - 
Bobby Lupo -

Good breakdown. Let's not forget that Evinger was a replacement fighter who was clearly out of shape, fighting a division up, and relied on toughness and heart in that fight. She's nothing at all like Holly. 

I like Holly for the upset in this fight, but I'll be honest and say that save for the Ronda destruction, she's been an almost complete disappointment in MMA. Holly fought up to her skills exactly one time since turning pro in MMA, and it was against the best women's fighter there is/was. Holly wasn't just a boxer in a cage, she was a complete, brilliant MMA fighter on the night she destroyed Ronda. 

A lot of fans think of that fight as Holly's 'Buster Douglas Moment'. Buster was supposed to be the next Ali/Holmes, but he had trouble pulling the trigger as a pro early in his career. When he fought Tyson in Tokyo, Buster Douglas was everything he was hyped up to be—just like Holly was against Ronda. 

Holly's subsequent MMA performances reek of 'gym fighter'. She's a skilled athlete, but she hasn't put it all together, before or since Ronda. She should be wrecking Meisha Tate on the feet, and not getting submitted like it's her first day grappling. Holly should be clowning these girls, and she's not. She looks like she's giving 30% and sparring. She even pulls her punches as if bouncing and coming up short on jabs (the Clay Guida method) are going to win her fights. 

So, Holly is either a one-night-wonder, or someone who fights to her competition. It shouldn't take more than 3 minutes to figure out which. 

This is the first time in a decade that Cyborg is fighting a girl close to her size with a pulse. Holly is probably her equal as an athlete, probably close in physical strength, but Holly is a better trained striker with better footwork and fundementals. I would not be a bit surprised if it's Holly ragdolling Cyborg in the clinch. 

I agree with absolutely everything u said until right at the end bro lol. And yes if you look at just the facts she def. Has followed the same kind of path as buster Douglas in mma,she was on top of the world when she beat ronda,everyone was ready to see her in action again,and then it was like she wasn't the same fighter,gun shy,not as active as she was in that fight,sadly I think despite her potential it's because of rondas style that won her that fight in that exciting fashion,ronda was incredibly (almost comically) reckless just coming straight at holly with her chin up like a pissed off teenager and that was exactly what holly needed to shine. So I think she needs a reckless idiot in order to look that great again. otherwise she "hiiiii-yyaahhhs" her way thru the whole fight throwing fients and jabs that never hit the target. old cyborg would probably get destroyed by rushing at holly throwing looping punches,but cyborgs last few fights have shown that's not the fighter that is going to show up on fight night. Also like I said the only point I didn't agree with you is the clinch part,I believe that is cyborgs greatest tool in her arsenal and holly not gonna be able to equal or better her in that area,but that's the beauty of mma and why we watch,is because that's just my opinion and we won't know until fight night lol.

I think people are missing the obvious…despite the fact that Ronda has (overall) the best takedowns in her division, she just lacks leg attacks, has bad knees and can’t come underneath and shoot effectively whatsoever. That changes the game completely for a world class striker that’s always going to be playing catch up on the ground against the rest of the division. Ronda has to run through a world champion boxers punches to get anything done, and do it multiple times because Holly is so mobile.

Having to fear someone simply coming underneath your punches means you can’t commit to them, which means your striking is going to get knocked down a BIG peg. All of Holly’s limitations as a boxer are exacerbated when she can’t commit.

I think people wildly underestimate the impact this has. Complete game changer. If she had a few more years on the ground, she could let it fly little more, but as it is, it’s just really dangerous for her, so she fights the way she does.

GladiatorGannon -
Bobby Lupo -

I think people are missing the obvious…despite the fact that Ronda has (overall) the best takedowns in her division, she just lacks leg attacks, has bad knees and can’t come underneath and shoot effectively whatsoever. That changes the game completely for a world class striker that’s always going to be playing catch up on the ground against the rest of the division. Ronda has to run through a world champion boxers punches to get anything done, and do it multiple times because Holly is so mobile.

Having to fear someone simply coming underneath your punches means you can’t commit to them, which means your striking is going to get knocked down a BIG peg. All of Holly’s limitations as a boxer are exacerbated when she can’t commit.

I think people wildly underestimate the impact this has. Complete game changer. If she had a few more years on the ground, she could let it fly little more, but as it is, it’s just really dangerous for her, so she fights the way she does.

And that’s why she will fight cautiously against Cyborg. 

This will be hollys night believe you me! She's consistently fought better competition. This will be one of those "ah turns out she's human after all" moments 

Good thread

Bobby Lupo -

Cyborg is/was so freakishly (and chemically) physically strong, she was able to Rampage-Arona slam a 230lb Tito Ortiz from his triangle (she may have cracked his skull) when they were rolling. 

Like, NBKfan, I don't rate Cyborg as a monster power       puncher. She has a good punch, but it's her overwhelming physicality that makes her dangerous...against a class of fighter who lack the necessary skill to do anything about it. 

Holly's footwork and lateral movement might present a problem for this new, patient, EconoBorg version who fought Evinger. Unlike Cyborg's previous opponents: Holly is actually good at something. A huffing and puffing, beer bellied version of Tonya Evinger was able to eat Cyborg's shots and return heavy punches.

The black cloud hanging over Cyborg fights will always be PED and hormones, but does anyone truly believe that Holly passes the eye test? Does anyone belive that she was never on the potion herself?

When I bet by looking at odds that look off. Holly at +300 looks off. I do not believe that Cyborg is 3x the fighter Holly is. Holly has been tested on the biggest stage and passed, then failed spectacularly. Cyborg's only major fight happened 10 years ago, and it was a sloppy mess. I see this as a close-to-even fight, with the advantage to Cyborg because of her ground game, But I don't see it as +300. I bet the +300 fights that seem off. I've hit on a bunch like Coleman-Bonnar and Tito-Bader. The UG laughed, I made money. 

The thing with PED’s and Cyborg is that other female  fighters seem to use a lesser steroid.  They don’t look like Borg at all.  These other chicks have skills and they want to enhance them with a little juice but not so much so as to turn them into men. 

In my opinion, Cyborg lacks skills and knows that without giant amounts of some sort of D-ball type of roids that Mark fucking Coleman uses, she will get her ass kicked like Baars kicked it. 

She is now fighting someone with skills. I think that Borg loses.  

Andersons from the matrix -
Non N00B -
JustAnotherMMAFan -

Excellent breakdown.

Holly’s style is the same in boxing and MMA. She uses her excellent footwork and cardio to counter and patiently pick her opponent apart. The fact that she’s a southpaw is also a huge advantage.

Problem is this is MMA and Cyborg is VERY dangerous everywhere: on her feet, in the clinch, on the ground.

Holly is a lot like Machida. She won’t engage, nor she will brawl. She won’t expose herself.

BUT she never fought anyone in MMA with Cyborg’s arsenal. That will deter Holly’s offense. Cyborg can knock her out, can take her down, can submit her. She is being very precise with her shots. How willl Holly react after the first bomb lands?

Holly is clinchable. Cyborg will use elbows, knees, punches and kicks, and Holly will be defending takedowns.

It’s an interesting fight, but Cyborg got more tools at her disposal and more ways to win.

Of course Holly is dangerous, and can win too. But I see Cyborg winning more often than not.

Holy got hit and wobbled in the Ronda and Miesha fights didnt she? She doesnt seem to have an iron chin either. Of course Cyborg did lose that MT fight and the fight against Gina was super clumsy at times as well, but it was ages ago. 

Yes she did,and also got wobbled by germaine 3 times,so no I wouldn't say she has an iron chin and I'm excited to see how she deals with cris' power for sure.
All three of those women have solid power. Its not surprising she got wobbled. Most fighters known for granite chins have been wobbled and hurt. Most KOd as well. It happens. Part of having a great chin is being able to recover after getting hurt.

Cyborg has power but also doesn’t put people to sleep. They get overwhelmed and get saved by thr ref. Holly has put 2 women out in the UFC. Don’t sleep on her landing and putting Cris out.

It will be an interesting fight to say the least. Cris is the fav and most likely will win. If she gets sloppy she’ll wake up looking at the lights wondering what happened.

NBKfanforlife -

You guys overrate Borgs power by a long shot.  She does not have one strike KO capability. Period. Who has Borg ever KO’d with one strike? Nobody. Holly’s head kick is a more powerful attack than any of Cyborg’s strikes.  Cyborg wins by overwhelming her opponent and allowing the ref to stop it.  She never has just KO’d an opponent .

When she fought Tonya, she was tentative and she got caught with a few strikes.  In my mind she was exposed. Tanya showed no real fear and that screwed Cyborg up a bit.  

I think that Cyborg is an old bag of steroids and one day (maybe not this fight , but maybe so) she is gonna step into the cage with nothing.  Just shooting blanks. Mark my words. Cyborg will lose soon.  Might not be to Holly but it will be soon. 

I’ll take Holly by 4th round stoppage.  

#1. Cyborg was busted 1 time in 2011. Once. There are tons of fighters that have been busted multiple times that don't catch half the shit cyborg does for that one time,haters man. &#2 to say cyborg doesn't have power is ridiculous,she has incredible power for wmma,just because she doesn't 1 shot everyone doesn't mean she doesn't have power,jermey Stephens is considered a power striker yet he only has 6 ko's on his record,the rest are tko. Fucking Romero has power but he has more tko than ko's... and #3. Cris was not tentative in that fight,if you read my breakdown you would have seen that over the past 3/4 fights and since working with parillo she is more technical and more poised in the cage, saying she was exposed because she is learning to be a more technical striker is laughable..
Bobby Lupo -

Like, NBKfan, I don't rate Cyborg as a monster power puncher. She has a good punch, but it's her overwhelming physicality that makes her dangerous...against a class of fighter who lack the necessary skill to do anything about it. 

I agree with some of what you said,I do believe this will be a closer fight then the odds say,but the only time Holm has looked like the world beater she was hyped up to be was against a retarded bullrushing ronda...all her other fights make her look like all gate keeper,that being said she is very good and keeping opponents on the outside and using basic but highly effective southpaw tactics,cyborg has not fought a lot of southpaws which is the big reason that makes me think this fight will be closer than people think, one of cyborgs favorite and most powerful strikes is to dip left away from a jab and come with a right hook or a straight from the outside,this punch will be very destructive against a southpaw like Holm but you have to think holly has seen it and has been training for it,and even if she hasn't been practicing for it,cyborg likes to throw that strike over and over if it lands a few times and holly will make a read on it and counter hard....the closer this fight gets the more excited I am to watch it unfold! I know a lot of people are pumped for khabib,but #1 he has to make it past weigh ins and then make it to the cage after that lol,and #2 while that fight is a good one,let's not pretend that it's 98% likely that khabib takes Barbosa to suplex city lol...holly vs Cris is gonna be a much more back and forth fight and I can't wait!!!
NBKfanforlife -
Bobby Lupo -

Like, NBKfan, I don't rate Cyborg as a monster power       puncher. She has a good punch, but it's her overwhelming physicality that makes her dangerous...against a class of fighter who lack the necessary skill to do anything about it. 

The thing with PED’s and Cyborg is that other female  fighters seem to use a lesser steroid.  They don’t look like Borg at all.  These other chicks have skills and they want to enhance them with a little juice but not so much so as to turn them into men. 

In my opinion, Cyborg lacks skills and knows that without giant amounts of some sort of D-ball type of roids that Mark fucking Coleman uses, she will get her ass kicked like Baars kicked it. 

She is now fighting someone with skills. I think that Borg loses.  

LOL!!!! 

Lesser PED’s. LOL. He pulled that one out of his ass. 

Dude also said Conor would one shot / k.o. Mayweather. 

Ignorance is a bliss. 

Bobby Lupo -

I agree with some of what you said,I do believe this will be a closer fight then the odds say,but the only time Holm has looked like the world beater she was hyped up to be was against a retarded bullrushing ronda...all her other fights make her look like all gate keeper,that being said she is very good and keeping opponents on the outside and using basic but highly effective southpaw tactics,cyborg has not fought a lot of southpaws which is the big reason that makes me think this fight will be closer than people think, one of cyborgs favorite and most powerful strikes is to dip left away from a jab and come with a right hook or a straight from the outside,this punch will be very destructive against a southpaw like Holm but you have to think holly has seen it and has been training for it,and even if she hasn't been practicing for it,cyborg likes to throw that strike over and over if it lands a few times and holly will make a read on it and counter hard....the closer this fight gets the more excited I am to watch it unfold! I know a lot of people are pumped for khabib,but #1 he has to make it past weigh ins and then make it to the cage after that lol,and #2 while that fight is a good one,let's not pretend that it's 98% likely that khabib takes Barbosa to suplex city lol...holly vs Cris is gonna be a much more back and forth fight and I can't wait!!!

I beleve that Cyborg is riding very high with her boxing confidence. She's worked with the absolute best female pro boxer, recent Olympic gold medalists, and retired champions. And by all accounts and video, Cyborg has not looked out of place, and has hung with these ladies. 

I've always been wary of when a top fighter turns their training camp into an immersion course of what their opponent does. We've seen this backfire time and time again. Ronda brought in legit female boxers and former Holly opponents to Edmond's and put the focus on boxing. We saw how that went. 

If Cyborg followed Braekus to Holland and or headed back to Thailand to work her clinch game along with sharpenng her knee and elbow attacks, or if she went to Brazil to sharpen her BJJ, I'd be fully confident in her ability to win this fight 7/10. I don't like that she seems to be preparing to box with an experienced boxer. 

I'm much more condifent when fighters use their camp to get fit as fuck and sharpen the skillset that got them their in the first place. 

Patient, cautious Cyborg trying to land big overhand rights over Holly's pawing jab might be in for the boxing lesson she didn't get in sparring and preparation for Holm. 

But, as my friend who reads matchups like a psychic reads tea leaves says: clean boxing without power is practically useless in MMA when your opponent can just beast you. The one who hits harder beats the one who hits prettier....especially if they're better on the ground.

JustAnotherMMAFan -

Ignorance is a bliss. 

Put the crack pipe down bitch.  I never predicted that Conor would KO Floyd with one punch.  I may have said that he could or something but I didn’t even pick Conor to win.  I said that I HOPING that Conor would win but that Floyd was the favorite in boxing.  I may have said that Conor would KO Floyd in mma but that’s about it.  Come up with the thread where I seriously said this.  Not when joking around.  

JustAnotherMMAFan -

Ignorance is a bliss. 

Are you a retard? Have you ever heard of Anavar or Winstral? Of course not because you are an idiot. You have been sucking the nasty Borg teat for a long time and you don’t know shit. 

Bobby Lupo -
Bobby Lupo -

I beleve that Cyborg is riding very high with her boxing confidence. She's worked with the absolute best female pro boxer, recent Olympic gold medalists, and retired champions. And by all accounts and video, Cyborg has not looked out of place, and has hung with these ladies. 

I've always been wary of when a top fighter turns their training camp into an immersion course of what their opponent does. We've seen this backfire time and time again. Ronda brought in legit female boxers and former Holly opponents to Edmond's and put the focus on boxing. We saw how that went. 

If Cyborg followed Braekus to Holland and or headed back to Thailand to work her clinch game along with sharpenng her knee and elbow attacks, or if she went to Brazil to sharpen her BJJ, I'd be fully confident in her ability to win this fight 7/10. I don't like that she seems to be preparing to box with an experienced boxer. 

I'm much more condifent when fighters use their camp to get fit as fuck and sharpen the skillset that got them their in the first place. 

Patient, cautious Cyborg trying to land big overhand rights over Holly's pawing jab might be in for the boxing lesson she didn't get in sparring and preparation for Holm. 

But, as my friend who reads matchups like a psychic reads tea leaves says: clean boxing without power is practically useless in MMA when your opponent can just beast you. The one who hits harder beats the one who hits prettier....especially if they're better on the ground.

I agree except for this: out of the two women, Holly’s head kick is by far the most dangerous weapon that either fighter has.