Reactive airway

Scott ,

Something has been on my mind since discovering ROSS . I have what has been termed a 'reactive airway' . They say I don't have asthma , but this must be the next best thing ! I seem to react to various stimuli such as allergens or airborne particulate with an increase in upper airway mucus and great difficulty with expiration . I don't exhibit the classic wheeze , yet a ventolin inhaler via an aerochamber seems to do wonders for returning my breathing etc to normal . Dykhaniye sounds very intriguing . I was wondering if , in your experience , it has helped remedy 'conditions' similar to what I have described . Specifically , have you seen cases in which folks have been able to abandon their inhalers forever ?

Peace ,

V.

I was mildly asthmatic for a long time, especially when exposed to allergens or respiratory stress,
and nothing has helped as much as the Zdorovye breathing stuff. I only get asthmatic symptoms now if I'm in really close contact with a lot of allergens for a long time while talking loudly, and even then the symptoms go away faster than before, and frankly when my airways constrict it just doesn't bother or hinder me as much. The benefits of simply doing the exercises were pretty immediate; I haven't had to use bronchodialators for a couple years now.

Jon ,

Thanx for the motivating info *S* . One question , are the exercises all done as part of your daily regime , or are there any exercises that you do when you feel your breathing becoming difficult . IOW are they meant as a maintenance for improved respiration or in times of a crisis , or both . If there is an exercise for crisis management , can you broadly elaborate on it without being explicit and giving away too much .

Thanx ,

V.

Oh, I *wish* I did the breathing as part of a daily routine. . . my training is a lot more hapazard and unstructured than that. Mostly 'cause I'm lazy.
I DO start doing the Dykhaniye stuff regularly when I feel like I need to, but mostly it's meant to be integrated into the sphere of everyday movement and awareness.

Mostly what the exercises do for me was allow me to be more aware of my breathing and more relaxed doing it. So if I find myself getting "tight lungs," I'm able to avoid adding further strain by engaging in labored breathing. Continued exposure to a given allegen can still be a problem, but I notice the symptoms a lot less now, either because I'm breathing more efficiently, or because the symptoms actually aren't as strong. It's hard to tell which. (red eyes and sneezing are still in full force, though ;) )

When I'm clear of the allergen, I find the symptoms going away a lot quicker than they otherwise would without drugs, because I can relax more even when I'm constricted. Recovering without asthma medication feels a WHOLE lot better than recovering with it, in my experience.

Being aware of breathing allows me to remove mucus from the lungs easily without coughing violently (which increases irritation and stress, and doesn't really remove obstruction well). Coughing hard is "fear reactivity," and is normally meant to be reserved for when you get a foreign body entering the lung. Just a simple wave-exhale can clear my lungs really well without all the red-faced straning and coughing.

Since doing ROSS stuff I haven't had any non-cat asthmatic symptoms, except once in a while when I go WAY too hard on the heavybag. :0

I used to use the control-pause breathing to open my sinuses, I don't have to do this so much any more.

I may not have had as serious a condition as you, so YMMV. In any case learning how to breathe better can't possibly hurt!