Read 1984, it will change your world view.

Even though I am fairly well read, I have only just read this book.

My God, it is incredible. Orwell literally maps out how the political landscape is changing. How we are being controlled by the elite so that they can stay in power. If anything I have found it incredibly hard to read as I can see that our world is going in that direction.

Seriously, if you haven't already, read it, you NEED to. Phone Post 3.0

^ It should have been mind blowing. The scary thing is that we are so close to 1984 being reality that it doesnt affect you as it should.

Read it.

It was fine.

That's all I really have to say about it. Phone Post 3.0

Ham and Egger - ^ It should have been mind blowing. The scary thing is that we are so close to 1984 being reality that it doesnt affect you as it should.
Exactly, what should be remembered is that this book was published in 1949. The fact that Orwell got so much right is downright scary. Phone Post 3.0

Its like when kids today watch a movie like Dick Tracy and are not impressed by the communicator watch he uses. They say "So what, we have cell phones."

When time catches up with the message of course it is less dramatic.

My all time favorite book. Really makes you scared for the next couple of years.

Brave New World is also good. Phone Post

So you got the gist of what is happening. Now if you really want to bake your noodle, it's time to read another book.

The Grand Chessboard: American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives by Zbigniew Brzezinski.

ksac - 
Ham and Egger - ^ It should have been mind blowing. The scary thing is that we are so close to 1984 being reality that it doesnt affect you as it should.

No we're not, but it sounds cool and "intellectual" to say we are.

Newspeak, perpetual war, bread and circuses and big brother are all part of present day reality.

And my god, you guys heard of this new playwright, Bill Shakespeare! This guy will be big I tell ya!

edit

"The fact that Orwell got so much right is downright scary."

Same mistake people make with Nostradamus. Orwell was writing about his present day. Great book but it isn't really predicting anything, just extrapolating from WWII & the Cold War.

BarkLikeADog - "The fact that Orwell got so much right is downright scary."

Same mistake people make with Nostradamus. Orwell was writing about his present day. Great book but it isn't really predicting anything, just extrapolating from WWII & the Cold War.

With responses like this, and your posts on the magic thread, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters on the OG. Will VTFU in 24 hours.

Kazp306 - Mean street is awesome, but I always prefered Van halen 1 Phone Post

No love for Ou812? I too hate Sammy Hagar Phone Post

BarkLikeADog - "The fact that Orwell got so much right is downright scary."

I dont think anyone is suggesting Orwell was a psychic. He just noticed trends and wrote fiction about a "what if" scenario.

Footloose came out in 1984. Great movie about Big Brother holding the dancing kids down.

The movie was overrated. Phone Post

Those asleep will remain asleep as long as they choose to.

Let me guess, OP thinks that "Atlas Shrugged" is a groundbreaking piece of literary accomplishment as well as a valid pollitical and philosophical way to live as well.

Ham and Egger - ^ It should have been mind blowing. The scary thing is that we are so close to 1984 being reality that it doesnt affect you as it should.
. Phone Post 3.0

Minus well jump!