Reading Eddie Bravo's JJ Unleashed

Slapmaster,

I really am still confused about what you mean with your question.  Are you basically asking if Eddie's techniques have been tested in mma or are you referring to some kind of streetfight/self-defense scenario?

In the case of the former I would say that some of Eddie's techniques have worked in mma although I still haven't seen the Rubber Guard really prove out in mma or sub wrestling. 

"and im sure youve never done or will do anything as momentous as eddies win in your life, so you could never understand any of what he was going through."

So you're saying he went into that tournament not expecting to win? Good preparation.

"when bjj goes to all no gi, that will be the moment in the record books that martial arts historians say changed everything, and eddie will be the guy at the head of that revolution."

Please don't refer to what you guys are doing out there as BJJ if you don't use the gi. Didn't Eddie get his black belt training gi?

No gi = sub wrestling not BJJ

Couldn't agree more. The age old agruement about BJJ without the gi. Take a guy that has never trained in a gi and put him in one. See how good he is. That same guy, without the gi could be awesome. Different rules, different training, different alltogether. That's just my opinion.

I love Unleashed. Thanks Eddie. I had a lot of questions and I play almost all half guard. I have since my ACL replacement. BTW, I have been twistering many people at the school. Usually only from side mount though. I can't really play rubber guard, but there is a guy that does. He is hell to deal with. I think Eddie is on to some good shit.

your sarcasm rivals the wit of carrot top

The principles from the book have also improved my butterfly guard and wrestling from quarter position.

"a lot of people have a lot of opinions on eddies game when they have never even stopped by to train with us. its interesting to hear uninformed opinions"

Yet CUO always has an opinion on other guys. Eg. always talking smack about Rickson. Hey CUO have you ever trained with Rickson?

Buy the way, eddie didn't invent shit, a lot of guys use a climbing/high guard, but because eddie holds his foot he is the inventor of the rubber guard. WTF.

Because he uses a standard half guard?

As for the 'Loco plata' even working. Look at pg 139 of jj unleashed. WTF is rogan doing with his left hand, besides just lying there? I'm pretty sure he would use that hand to defend, and push eddies left hand off and release the choke.

Or he can't finish the armbar whilst on the side, (the same as everybody) but calls it the spider web, and CUO thinks hes getting a newly invented move. Pretty sure guys have been getting stuck in this position for years, but I guess if you name it, its a new move.

Then the slide from spider web, Pg 94, so now he actually finishes the armbar, he calls it something else, LOL. Its called finishing the armbar dumbass!

Also check pg. 160, I'm pretty sure we all get told not to put our elbow out like that when passing to avoid the kimura, but i suppose if you call it a new name..

All in all I think Eddie is a great grappler, but saying he has invented new stuff is crazy.

Yes we know, he switches to triangles and Omoplatas from a high guard, just amazing.

In all the time I've been reading Bravo threads, there has not been a single person hating on Eddie who wasn't either

A) a retard,

or

B) someone with a vested interest in disparaging him.

Glad to see thr 100% record is being kept intact.

tycinio the cry baby has arrived. hello there.  you know what, i have not trained at ricksons.  six years ago, i went by there to sign up and he was not there. funny how that works.  then, i was on this forum the day that a post went up from one of his students saying "ricksons back teaching".  many other people saw that post too. i dont criticize ricksons jiu jitsu, but i do criticize his attendance problem, which your guys inadvertently advertise.  btw, he can thank me for one of the kids in his kids class cause i referred them there.  after a year and a half, the kid has never had the chance to really take a class from him but he still goes.  its the only class in the neighborhood

Eddies book is sick as shit. I really like his rubber guard stuff, i'm trying to implement it more into my training.

TTT for Eddie.

OK whoah alot of flaming going on!

Wowutapfast thanks for seeing what I'm trying to ask.

But for ridiculous comments such as these
"also beating Royler Gracie is an amazing accomplishment in itself, after that theres not much more to accomplish."

That pretty much just goes along with what I'm saying, yes he is a good sport grappler with innovative techs but will it work in mma of fighting period?

CUO before you flame that last comment I made let me say this, I really, really like Eddie's book and think it's great for improving many things. Still he presents it as a system not a half-guard improvment book. I think it might work but I study BJJ not for sport but for self-defense. So I also disagree that BJJ doesn't work in the street. That's why it was invented not for MMA, period.

So Bald Tony I guess your calling me a retard?

I am not talking about his attendance. Of course everyone wants to train with him everyday, but my point was in reference to what you said about people criticise Eddie when they have never trained with him, and I replied that it is funny how most do the same to Rickson.

I also noticed how you managed to ignore the rest of my post about how Eddie has just renamed (or given a name to) regular common techniques and positions and you all eat it up like he invented all his own moves. Like I said, the 'rubber guard' is nothing more than a high/climbing guard, but you hold the foot.

Oh and I forgot, he does it without his gi top, just amazing!

Like I said he does have great jj skills, all I am pointing out is that most of it is standard stuff with a new name.

And how does he get away with saying his guard is better for MMa when he has never fought an MMA match.
Again I am not saying it isn't, just that anytime anyone else (eg. Rickson) comments on the state of MMA he is told 'put up or shut up' that he only fought cans and no one good and he hasn't fought in a long time so he has no right to speak about it. Well at least he has actually had a fight.

Why is it no one tells eddie to 'put up or shut up', or come back and talk when he has actually had a fight.

Like I said I like eddie, I amnot a hater, just not sure on the double standard.

I was initially skeptical about Eddie Bravo and how much was being made of him, but after READING his book...not just looking at the pictures, I have tons of respect for him and his jiu-jitsu. I have been using it since I bought the book.

Also, he doesn't claim to have invented anything. READ it.

I have READ it!

rickson nut rider. he is not using just a high guard.  you know nothing about his system at all, and its obvious.

read his book.  he doesnt really talk about inventing shit. he gives props to everyone who influenced and taught him. 

and i have yet to see anyone do an electric chair as a finishing move aside from eddie.

Wasn't Eddie's whole point to show how he applied gi techniques to no gi work.  He also did credit many people for what he had learned.  The difference he made was in applying techniques of the gi, while not wearing the gi.

Actually I have his book and his twister dvd, and I like eddie as a grappler which I have said numurous times.

Joe Rogan (talking about Eddie in Eddies book) 'He has invented so many techniques...that he has literally created a seperate style of jiu-jitsu'.

While you accuse me of being a Rickson nut rider, it seems very clear that you are the prince of Eddie nutriders (Joe Rogan is obviously the king).

Anyway while we argue it seems the two of them have somthing in common. I was reading Eddie book and while Rickson gets cricified for his MMA comments (even though he has actually had a fight) Eddie makes the same comments in his book.

Pg 11: 'Kickboxers would no longer have to learn to grapple. All they would need to do is to hold on for thirty seconds once the fight went to the ground, and then the referee would stand them back up. Then MMA would become nothing more than a glorified "toughman" competition'.

Seems Eddie thinks that MMA is going the same way as Rickson. That guys are less and less technical and more and more brute strength.

I know guys on here say that is what a streetfight is, but that is only if you are athletic. What if you are not? you need to be able to make it work even when the other guy is stronger than you.

I looked at it and didn't $$ it. Seems good if your little and flexible and great for sport BJJ. But not for a bigger not as flexible person. Model yourself after champions with your simuliar style.

eddie never sad it. joe did.  dont blame eddie for what comes out of joes mouth

I have been attending Eddie's classes since the month he opened. I came from Rickson's school. I left Rickson's because Rickson was never there and the blackbelt at the time never bothered to coach me or even learn my name. I was paying $250 a month to pretty much be ignored by the instructor. Rickson is a great teacher in fact phenominal. Unfortunately Rickson was not teaching at the time. So I left with a somehwat decieved taste in my mouth.

Eddie is also a phenominal teacher. He teaches his JJ class like no other I have seen (or heard of). His step by step process and walkthrough puts the moves to muscle memory. His book is pretty much the way he teaches one step at a time. He controls the class like a drill sargent without the insults. Probably the best teacher I have encountered. I do a lot of travel and have trained at a lot of dif academy's and when the instruction starts I always feel like I am not learning the moves as well as Eddie drives them into us.

Since I have been at eddie's I have had the pleasure of meet/rolling with some greats:

chuck liddel

Dan Henderson

Ryo Chonnan ( he broke my toe)

Drew Fickett

Caro Uno

Jason Chambers

Gerald Strebent

Bang Ludwig

Brandon Vera

Jason Miller

Baret Yoshida

and the list goes on and on. Every one of these guys has been impressed with eddie not only as a teacher but by his skills..

I watched Eddie roll with most of these guys and afterwords they all have nothing but great things to say. It is not uncommon to hear one of them say something like "I am scared to do anything other then hold on." I had one of them say to me privately that they did not expect eddie to be nearly as good as he is and that they were blown away by how well eddie disected his game.

In conclusion... I have trained all over the place and worked with many GREAT instructors. But in the end Eddie has taken me further then anyone else. He gets a lot of smack talked on him by people who don't know him... After Royler eddie was hurt and required surgury to recover. He has since accepted a fight that was canceld due to the Hurricains in floriday. In fact Eddie even volunteered to fly his opponent out to LA so the fight could still take place.

We will see eddie compete again...

If eddie was not legit why would the above names not only come to train but a lot of times return?

All the best

~grapplechaun

I would love to see Eddie put out an instructional DVD...would be AWESOME

IMHO