Real reason Anderson used steroids. 100 percent.

Needlemover - 
Jimmy Wrassler -
TheEmperorRises - 
austinjames427 -
camozzi - If you need more time to heal then take more time. Don't fight yet. Simple as that. Phone Post 3.0
Did you read the quotes? Read the quotes. Phone Post 3.0
Did you read what he said..??

For these guys not making Anderson Silva money I get it, but "he needed it to heal faster" doesn't apply to the Spider. Phone Post 3.0

Anderson is older than damn near everyone in the UFC, time is a huge factor when it comes to his career. 

I dont condone what he did, but your statement makes no sense. 

His statement makes plenty of sense.

After his horrific injury Anderson had earned millions, more than most of us will earn in many lifetimes. Plus he would be a celebrity and have the ability to make more money, or be an ambassador to the sport.

If he wanted to fight again and it took him 2 years legally instead of 1 illegally, he had plenty of space. He wasn't in desperate need.

What you are referring to is cheating out of greed. It wasn't a necessity for him to take steroids and return pronto. Nobody even expected him back so soon.

You're post makes no sense. Phone Post 3.0

You're looking at this in a vaccuum.

Everyone around Anderson is cheating. Everyone he competes against. Everyone he has trained with. It's part of the culture. The only taboo is getting caught.

youarewhatiswrong - 
camozzi - If you need more time to heal then take more time. Don't fight yet. Simple as that. Phone Post 3.0

While I agree with you, you know better than anyone that your window of profitability as a fighter is very limited. It's difficult to make a comfortable living in MMA, by the time most get to the big stage they have a lot of miles on them and the clock is ticking. When you only get paid when you fight, any delay in your training is food taken off the table. I'm not excusing Anderson's use, and I am disappointed in the effect this has on his legacy, but I agree with OP that it's completely understandable how such a decision would take place. And just about every fighter than Anderson has beaten has popped positive at some point, so why wouldn't he say to himself "I hurt. . . I take juice. . . it make better. . . ees normal."?

Cool story, bro.

austinjames427 -
camozzi - If you need more time to heal then take more time. Don't fight yet. Simple as that. Phone Post 3.0
I did. I still think the same thing. If your that messed up then don't fight.

The "I need the money" doesn't make total sense. I get it because I need money too and fighters don't make a ton but getting suspended for a year is even worse money wise. Phone Post 3.0

youarewhatiswrong -
camozzi - If you need more time to heal then take more time. Don't fight yet. Simple as that. Phone Post 3.0

While I agree with you, you know better than anyone that your window of profitability as a fighter is very limited. It's difficult to make a comfortable living in MMA, by the time most get to the big stage they have a lot of miles on them and the clock is ticking. When you only get paid when you fight, any delay in your training is food taken off the table. I'm not excusing Anderson's use, and I am disappointed in the effect this has on his legacy, but I agree with OP that it's completely understandable how such a decision would take place. And just about every fighter than Anderson has beaten has popped positive at some point, so why wouldn't he say to himself "I hurt. . . I take juice. . . it make better. . . ees normal."?
I take umbrage with the quote at the end. Just because he doesn't speak good English doesn't mean you have to infantilize him. I'm sure he's capable of forming more complex thoughts than that. Phone Post 3.0

Recovery is a common excuse, yes Phone Post 3.0

I have more magic beans for you op.

austinjames427 - Steroids can be used for other purposes aside from performance enhancing reasons. While Lombard and Chael were obviously using them to build strength and muscle. I honestly feel Anderson used them simply for the healing of his leg.

Chael talks about the vision test. He says andersons physique never changed. Thus, he concluded he has been on steroids his whole life. However, he missed the plausible conclusion that the steroids were not used to build muscle. Rather, to heal.

Stephan Bonnar.

“I was desperate. My right elbow had been bad for a while, and I hurt it bad getting ready for Rashad [Evans on June 28]. Right after that fight, I thought I’d have some time off to do some therapy, rehab and heal. And five days later, I get a call to fight Forrest in a month and a half. I was worried. I was looking for something to speed up the healing. I just was worried I was not going to be able to fight, and they needed me. This wasn’t an undercard fight; it was the main event. Pulling out was not an option.”

Kit Cope

“I got a complete reconstruction of the AC joint in my shoulder which sucks a lot. After that the doctor a shot a substance called Boldenone and that is an anabolic substance…What that does is basically, in athletes, doctors will give them those substances which increases protein faster and help me heal faster. It was definitely not for performance… This stuff can stay in your system for 18 months, very similar to Nandrolone, which a lot of people test positive for…I only scored a 7 and it’s detectable at 5, so in a few days, a few pisses, it would have been gone. Below 5 it is not findable. It’s not that the substance is not in your body but they test for the trash it leaves behind…so it wasn’t active in my body just the shit it left. Which proves it was very old. So every bit of common sense shows I was not taking it for a performance enhancer.”

Dennis Hallman.
“I took steroids to help my neck injury heal after I had a discectomy on my C-5, 6 and 7. I wasn’t taking them to get huge or strong, just to heal faster. I honestly think that taking steroids is counter-productive for MMA, they do not improve how you punch or how good you are at subs. They actually hurt your cardio which is the biggest factor in MMA. That being said, I made the decision to take steroids, even though I believe that in my circumstance they should be allowed (for healing injuries)… Looking back, it was a good thing getting suspended. It showed me that I didn’t have to fight every time a fight came up. I had fought unprepared and unhealthy many times in my career. The year break showed me that there will be other fights. It kinda made me grow up a little as a fighter.”

Bill Mahood.
“I did in fact start the use of an anabolic agent approximately the third week in August. This was at a time that I thought I was done fighting and was suffering from a chronic joint inflammation of my hip. I did not want to miss the opportunity of fighting for a great promoter like Strikeforce…I do believe that there was no benefit from the amount ingested. I still tested positive and for that I would like to apologize to Strikeforce, Bodog Fight, and the sport of MMA in general.”

Hermes Franca: “I would like to apologize to my fans, the UFC, my students and family. I offer only an explanation and not an excuse. I made a decision during a difficult time in my training for the fight that I regret. About 8 weeks out from the fight, I badly injured my ankle during a training session. For the following week I had rested it, rehabbed it and tried to work around the injury. It was obvious that I could not train as required.

I contacted the UFC and explained my injury and how I could not possibly train to the level I thought I would need in order to be properly prepared for my fight. I asked the UFC if we could push the fight out to the following UFC with the chance that it could happen. They explained that they could not do that and that the card had been set and it isn’t as easy as just moving around a fight. I totally understood their position. They asked me to keep them informed should I not be able to fight…

I had not fought for 5 months. Fighting is literally how I put food on my wife and child’s table and how I pay my bills. As a fighter though, even at this level, I live a simple life and I literally live from fight to fight. Not getting a paycheck for another few months and losing my chance to fight Sean for the title was overpowering. Fighting is the life I chose and I love it…

At this point, I was desperate and needed anything I could to get my injury as close to healing as possible and be able to recover from the daily training regimen I was going through. I made the shortsighted choice to hopefully accelerate the healing process and allow me to keep training. Under the pressure of literally not being able to pay next month’s bills I made a choice. I had to fight and did whatever I could to do so.

I hope my fans, students, the UFC and the public accept my sincere apology. Whatever punishment is dictated by the California Athletic Commission, I will understand. I would like to get through this very difficult time and the times ahead and get back to fighting. All the best to my fans and much thanks to my family and friends that continue to support me during these times.” Phone Post 3.0
You're taking quotes from people who were busted for cheating and using them as honest testimony to prove your point. Don't quit your day job of NOT being a lawyer. Phone Post 3.0

Santo Amaro - 

I agree that Chael was just talking out his fucking ass about Anderson's pysique. Chael is a nice guy (sometimes when not bashing an entire nation and heritige), funny guy too, Charismatic. Knowlegable and intelligent. But that statement was ridiculous. Perhaps miscommunicated?

Anyhow - Anderson got busted. I hope you are right. But for me his past exploits are not tarnished anyway because there is zero proof of past abuse. If some comes to light then I'll reassess

Brittle bones being a side effect of the roids....

youarewhatiswrong -
Needlemover - 
Jimmy Wrassler -
TheEmperorRises - 
austinjames427 -
Did you read what he said..??

For these guys not making Anderson Silva money I get it, but "he needed it to heal faster" doesn't apply to the Spider. Phone Post 3.0

Anderson is older than damn near everyone in the UFC, time is a huge factor when it comes to his career. 

I dont condone what he did, but your statement makes no sense. 

His statement makes plenty of sense.

After his horrific injury Anderson had earned millions, more than most of us will earn in many lifetimes. Plus he would be a celebrity and have the ability to make more money, or be an ambassador to the sport.

If he wanted to fight again and it took him 2 years legally instead of 1 illegally, he had plenty of space. He wasn't in desperate need.

What you are referring to is cheating out of greed. It wasn't a necessity for him to take steroids and return pronto. Nobody even expected him back so soon.

You're post makes no sense. Phone Post 3.0

You're looking at this in a vaccuum.

Everyone around Anderson is cheating. Everyone he competes against. Everyone he has trained with. It's part of the culture. The only taboo is getting caught.
The discussion was taking it to heal up.

Taking it to be competitive against other cheaters is a different debate.

A boy is in a shop and the shop owner turns his back for 2 minutes. Does the boy steal some bread if:
1. He is starving?
2. He has a shitload of bread, but only 2 minutes to get more?
3. Everyone else has a shitload of bread, and he wants more than them?

Whatever combination of above you think it is reasonable to do something illegal, they're all different reasons. And all still illegal. Phone Post 3.0

Hi Dana Phone Post 3.0

U should listen to FRB last podcast where he has an expert talk about the situation. Phone Post 3.0

austinjames427 - Steroids can be used for other purposes aside from performance enhancing reasons. While Lombard and Chael were obviously using them to build strength and muscle. I honestly feel Anderson used them simply for the healing of his leg.

Chael talks about the vision test. He says andersons physique never changed. Thus, he concluded he has been on steroids his whole life. However, he missed the plausible conclusion that the steroids were not used to build muscle. Rather, to heal.

Stephan Bonnar.

“I was desperate. My right elbow had been bad for a while, and I hurt it bad getting ready for Rashad [Evans on June 28]. Right after that fight, I thought I’d have some time off to do some therapy, rehab and heal. And five days later, I get a call to fight Forrest in a month and a half. I was worried. I was looking for something to speed up the healing. I just was worried I was not going to be able to fight, and they needed me. This wasn’t an undercard fight; it was the main event. Pulling out was not an option.”

Kit Cope

“I got a complete reconstruction of the AC joint in my shoulder which sucks a lot. After that the doctor a shot a substance called Boldenone and that is an anabolic substance…What that does is basically, in athletes, doctors will give them those substances which increases protein faster and help me heal faster. It was definitely not for performance… This stuff can stay in your system for 18 months, very similar to Nandrolone, which a lot of people test positive for…I only scored a 7 and it’s detectable at 5, so in a few days, a few pisses, it would have been gone. Below 5 it is not findable. It’s not that the substance is not in your body but they test for the trash it leaves behind…so it wasn’t active in my body just the shit it left. Which proves it was very old. So every bit of common sense shows I was not taking it for a performance enhancer.”

Dennis Hallman.
“I took steroids to help my neck injury heal after I had a discectomy on my C-5, 6 and 7. I wasn’t taking them to get huge or strong, just to heal faster. I honestly think that taking steroids is counter-productive for MMA, they do not improve how you punch or how good you are at subs. They actually hurt your cardio which is the biggest factor in MMA. That being said, I made the decision to take steroids, even though I believe that in my circumstance they should be allowed (for healing injuries)… Looking back, it was a good thing getting suspended. It showed me that I didn’t have to fight every time a fight came up. I had fought unprepared and unhealthy many times in my career. The year break showed me that there will be other fights. It kinda made me grow up a little as a fighter.”

Bill Mahood.
“I did in fact start the use of an anabolic agent approximately the third week in August. This was at a time that I thought I was done fighting and was suffering from a chronic joint inflammation of my hip. I did not want to miss the opportunity of fighting for a great promoter like Strikeforce…I do believe that there was no benefit from the amount ingested. I still tested positive and for that I would like to apologize to Strikeforce, Bodog Fight, and the sport of MMA in general.”

Hermes Franca: “I would like to apologize to my fans, the UFC, my students and family. I offer only an explanation and not an excuse. I made a decision during a difficult time in my training for the fight that I regret. About 8 weeks out from the fight, I badly injured my ankle during a training session. For the following week I had rested it, rehabbed it and tried to work around the injury. It was obvious that I could not train as required.

I contacted the UFC and explained my injury and how I could not possibly train to the level I thought I would need in order to be properly prepared for my fight. I asked the UFC if we could push the fight out to the following UFC with the chance that it could happen. They explained that they could not do that and that the card had been set and it isn’t as easy as just moving around a fight. I totally understood their position. They asked me to keep them informed should I not be able to fight…

I had not fought for 5 months. Fighting is literally how I put food on my wife and child’s table and how I pay my bills. As a fighter though, even at this level, I live a simple life and I literally live from fight to fight. Not getting a paycheck for another few months and losing my chance to fight Sean for the title was overpowering. Fighting is the life I chose and I love it…

At this point, I was desperate and needed anything I could to get my injury as close to healing as possible and be able to recover from the daily training regimen I was going through. I made the shortsighted choice to hopefully accelerate the healing process and allow me to keep training. Under the pressure of literally not being able to pay next month’s bills I made a choice. I had to fight and did whatever I could to do so.

I hope my fans, students, the UFC and the public accept my sincere apology. Whatever punishment is dictated by the California Athletic Commission, I will understand. I would like to get through this very difficult time and the times ahead and get back to fighting. All the best to my fans and much thanks to my family and friends that continue to support me during these times.” Phone Post 3.0
Uhhhh.... What you're saying isn't a revolutionary thought. 99.9% of guys using aren't using to have bodybuilder physiques and build muscle. They're using to make it thru hard ass training camps and heal faster with the physical beatings they take on a daily basis.

Anderson used to heal his leg faster. It's not different from a guy using to heal faster in between trainijg sessions so he can train more. Phone Post 3.0

All of you who think he used to heal his leg faster have got to be stupid. Its been pointed out a billion times the drugs he got popped for are NOT rehabbing tyoe steroids, and there are rehab steroids.

It is what it is. Really. Phone Post 3.0

Soup and Beer -

Ok OP, let's entertain the notion he juiced for healing purposes.  Even though that argument has already been proven to have no merit.  Why did he give an interview three months before he was busted trashing other fighters who use steroids?  Why did he say anyone caught using them should be "banned for life" when he was almost surely injecting himself with steroids at the time of the interview?

I think he was referring for use to enhance performance and get stronger, bigger, faster. Phone Post 3.0

What he did was bad. No doubt. I'm not giving an excuse. I'm giving a reason. Phone Post 3.0

This argument is limited. He isn't using them to increase the heal time of an injury. Not as a PED. Phone Post 3.0

Shiloh - All of you who think he used to heal his leg faster have got to be stupid. Its been pointed out a billion times the drugs he got popped for are NOT rehabbing tyoe steroids, and there are rehab steroids.

It is what it is. Really. Phone Post 3.0

cognitive dissonance is a hard shell to break

The ones he was caught with are not for healing injuries.

austinjames427 - Steroids can be used for other purposes aside from performance enhancing reasons. While Lombard and Chael were obviously using them to build strength and muscle. I honestly feel Anderson used them simply for the healing of his leg.

Stephan Bonnar.

Kit Cope

Dennis Hallman.

Bill Mahood.

That's great and all but it doesn't mean a fucking thing.

I already made this exact thread Phone Post 3.0