REALITY CHECK - 10-11 Inch Reach Advantage

For all of you that are saying Machida has a chance against Jones, as if he is somekind of Achille's Heel for Jones, it doesn't seem like any of you are considering the 10-11 inch reach advantage that Jones has over Machida.

How the fuck is Machida going to beat Jones, unless he goes for an out of the this world-superpowered-crouching tiger and hidden dragon type-flying karate kick or.....something?

Has this ever been done before? A fighter negating a 10 + inch reach advantage? I sense that Jones is going to use that reach advantage every chance he gets, don't see Machida taking Jones down either.

Machida proponents-EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

Reality check - Jones' arms are not 10 inches longer than Machida's

the reach measurement is Wingspan bro, while he does have longer arms, they're no where near 10-11in longer each. gotta factor chest length as well Phone Post

GCT - Machida proponents-EXPLAIN YOURSELF.
To be honest, its not so much that i'm a big fan of machida, its more that i really don't like Jones.  Machida will grab one of those freakishly long arms and put it in an armbar.

The reach advantage would scare me more if it was a really experienced and savvy striker like Anderson, who is a master of distance and range. Jones is still relatively new to the striking game, and while he's fun to watch and flashy with those spinning elbows, he probably doesn't use his reach advantage to its maximum potential yet. 

Give him a few years, and he'll really be scary. 

What if his fingers are just super long, making it seem more significant than it is?

First of all it's a reach DIFFERENCE. This isn't Boxing. If reach was an advantage Wes Sims would have become champ long ago, and Stefan Struve would be champ right now. Not every fighter fights tall and long and even if they did, it's not like it's the only attribute and things like timing, rhythm, aggression, and style don't exist. It's yet another stupid aspect of Boxing that MMA uses....the worst and first being the 10 point must system.

ShanTheMan - What if his fingers are just super long, making it seem more significant than it is?

I bet his girlfriend would see otherwise.

slamming - 
ShanTheMan - What if his fingers are just super long, making it seem more significant than it is?

I bet his girlfriend would see otherwise.

By the way he talks, you'd think rogan was his girlfriend

GCT - 
Has this ever been done before? A fighter negating a 10 + inch reach advantage?

Peter Aerts vs Semmy Schilt
Badr Hari vs Semmy Schilt
Pretty much anyone who has beaten Semmy Schilt
Fedor vs Hong Man Choi

ausgepicht - First of all it's a reach DIFFERENCE. This isn't Boxing. If reach was an advantage Wes Sims would have become champ long ago, and Stefan Struve would be champ right now. Not every fighter fights tall and long and even if they did, it's not like it's the only attribute and things like timing, rhythm, aggression, and style don't exist. It's yet another stupid aspect of Boxing that MMA uses....the worst and first being the 10 point must system.

Fantastic post!

MattBenwa - 
ausgepicht - First of all it's a reach DIFFERENCE. This isn't Boxing. If reach was an advantage Wes Sims would have become champ long ago, and Stefan Struve would be champ right now. Not every fighter fights tall and long and even if they did, it's not like it's the only attribute and things like timing, rhythm, aggression, and style don't exist. It's yet another stupid aspect of Boxing that MMA uses....the worst and first being the 10 point must system.

Fantastic post!

Really because using Wes Sims and Stefen Struve as examples, makes for an fantastic post? Stefan with the physical abilities of GSP, would be a terror. But the truth is Stefan gives up some advantages, because of his height.
But you can't use a example of one fighter and say it applies to every fighter.