Reality mma shows?

With all the other reality tv shows on network television that are successful why do reality mma shows fail or lose ratings in your opinion? Phone Post 3.0

Because without that bullshit drama and ridiculous challenges (which the hardcore mma fan seems to hate) they can't draw in anyone other than the small base of mma fans. Phone Post 3.0

Bruham - Because without that bullshit drama and ridiculous challenges (which the hardcore mma fan seems to hate) they can't draw in anyone other than the small base of mma fans. Phone Post 3.0
I understand this but why not let the fighters do as they please like the other shows instead of locking them in a house for 6 weeks or however long it is and make it mandatory to be there for practice maybe add something to for other people on the outside to grasp on too or perhaps left all the fighters train where they live and follow all of them. Kind of like a count down show and have all of them fight on a card at the end and all the winners get contracts. Give the general public a view inside a fights live before they make it to a huge promotion? Phone Post 3.0

Bruham - Because without that bullshit drama and ridiculous challenges (which the hardcore mma fan seems to hate) they can't draw in anyone other than the small base of mma fans. Phone Post 3.0

well said

I actually thought the model for that goofy MMA show 'Caged' on MTV could've been cool if they had better fighters on it. Fighters real lives probably have far more drama to it than any contrived nonsense they can put together in a house Phone Post 3.0

newman2020 - 
Bruham - Because without that bullshit drama and ridiculous challenges (which the hardcore mma fan seems to hate) they can't draw in anyone other than the small base of mma fans. Phone Post 3.0
I understand this but why not let the fighters do as they please like the other shows instead of locking them in a house for 6 weeks or however long it is and make it mandatory to be there for practice maybe add something to for other people on the outside to grasp on too or perhaps left all the fighters train where they live and follow all of them. Kind of like a count down show and have all of them fight on a card at the end and all the winners get contracts. Give the general public a view inside a fights live before they make it to a huge promotion? Phone Post 3.0

16/8 camera crews. You realise how much that would cost to produce?

trok -
newman2020 - 

It can be done in many different ways a certain promotion just paid 45000 dollars in a drug test I'm sure they could afford it. Phone Post 3.0

newman2020 - 
trok -
newman2020 - 

It can be done in many different ways a certain promotion just paid 45000 dollars in a drug test I'm sure they could afford it. Phone Post 3.0

But let's be real. Whole point of reality show = they are cheap to produce which means more income. And logistics for let's say 8 camera crews (accomodation, travels etc) would not make sense production wise. It sure would be cool but just doesn't sound possible.

sssfRyan - I actually thought the model for that goofy MMA show 'Caged' on MTV could've been cool if they had better fighters on it. Fighters real lives probably have far more drama to it than any contrived nonsense they can put together in a house Phone Post 3.0
I agree with this I think they went wrong on focusing on the one small town full of fighters that no one really knew, that concept would probly work if they expanded it to fighters from around the country or even the world. You could gather more fans this way cheering for the hometown guy just like some other reality tv shows. Phone Post 3.0

trok -
newman2020 - 
trok -
newman2020 - 

But let's be real. Whole point of reality show = they are cheap to produce which means more income. And logistics for let's say 8 camera crews (accomodation, travels etc) would not make sense production wise. It sure would be cool but just doesn't sound possible.
If there's no risk it's not worth it I mean they took a gamble on the first season of tuf an look what it did for the sport. Or maybe have crew follow a gym it's self that has many fighters train for big fights all at the same time.? Phone Post 3.0

newman2020 - 
trok -
newman2020 - 
trok -
newman2020 - 

If there's no risk it's not worth it I mean they took a gamble on the first season of tuf an look what it did for the sport. Or maybe have crew follow a gym it's self that has many fighters train for big fights all at the same time.? Phone Post 3.0

Sure, in most cases there's no revenue if you're not willing to take a risk. I just think in mainstream view that "whoah this is something new and exciting" which surrounded 2004/2005 is gone so no reality show could prolly do what tuff1 did back then. I could be wrong. I just think their agenda is to expand TUF to worldwide regions (south america, europe, asia etc) and make easy money that way.

I allways wondered what was that big risk people talk about TUF1? Was it the tuf house that they invested in alot of money or what? Health insurances? I remember contender show (boxing reality show) didn't really do well..

I believe that no matter if TUF1 succeed or not, MMA would prevail sooner or later in US. It was allready massive in Japan.

trok -
newman2020 - 
trok -
newman2020 - 
trok -
newman2020 - 

Sure, in most cases there's no revenue if you're not willing to take a risk. I just think in mainstream view that "whoah this is something new and exciting" which surrounded 2004/2005 is gone so no reality show could prolly do what tuff1 did back then. I could be wrong. I just think their agenda is to expand TUF to worldwide regions (south america, europe, asia etc) and make easy money that way.

I allways wondered what was that big risk people talk about TUF1? Was it the tuf house that they invested in alot of money or what? Health insurances? I remember contender show (boxing reality show) didn't really do well..

I believe that no matter if TUF1 succeed or not, MMA would prevail sooner or later in US. It was allready massive in Japan.
The big risk for tuf 1 per Dana himself was the money the funded everything spike basically just said here's the slot you get with no advertising at all so basically the UFC took all the risk for tuf 1 financially. Spike basically did not give then the time of day besides actually putting it in the air and then spike went they the roof after TUF Phone Post 3.0

newman2020 -
trok -
newman2020 - 
trok -
newman2020 - 
trok -
newman2020 - 

The big risk for tuf 1 per Dana himself was the money the funded everything spike basically just said here's the slot you get with no advertising at all so basically the UFC took all the risk for tuf 1 financially. Spike basically did not give then the time of day besides actually putting it in the air and then spike went they the roof after TUF Phone Post 3.0
And I totally support them wanting to grow the sport globally with international tuf. I just feel you should completely lock down "home base" completely before spreading yourself too thin. And I'm not so sure it would have without tuf one I mean honestly how many people knew about pride? Unless you stayed up til lime 3 am it was mostly unknown. Not know king pride at all I love and miss it. But tuf put mma on the map IMO. Phone Post 3.0