Really worried about my Dad.

My dad is 64 years old, about a year ago he had to have surgery on both shoulders and was told he would no longer be able to work which really really depressed him. Lucky for them my mom has a great job. Anyway since he retired he hung out with his brother-in-law pretty much everyday they were also next door neighbors. Well about 2 months ago his bro in law passed away. Now my dad has started drinking very heavily which is way out of character for him. He starts drinking in the morning, and drinks the day away. I'm very worried about him and don't know what to do about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Phone Post 3.0

Well depends on what kind of man is he? Phone Post 3.0

Go hang with him and do projects. It'll at least take his mind off of it somewhat. Phone Post 3.0

n1t0 - Well depends on what kind of man is he? Phone Post 3.0
In my opinion he is a great person, until recently he never drank and has worked hard all his life. Anybody who knows him really respect him and would be shocked if they knew he was drinking like this. Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like he's just using booze as a way to sedate himself cause he's bored.  Gotta find a way to get him to use his time.  

TeleTone - 
n1t0 - Well depends on what kind of man is he? Phone Post 3.0
In my opinion he is a great person, until recently he never drank and has worked hard all his life. Anybody who knows him really respect him and would be shocked if they knew he was drinking like this. Phone Post 3.0

I read an article recently that suggested that addiction is the result of lack of connection in life and lack of purpose. Maybe your father lost both with his friend passing away.

You might want to get your father engaged in some activities during the day that'll give him a sense of purpose and also help him to connect with some people with similar interests.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/the-real-cause-of-addicti_b_6506936.html

Mencken - 

Sounds like he's just using booze as a way to sedate himself cause he's bored.  Gotta find a way to get him to use his time.  

Yes. Been there.

Tell him doctors don't know shit and should never have told him he can't work. Rub some tussin on it and gtfo and find a job. Tell him if he doesn't want the money you can provide him a list of needy people with paypal accounts he can help.

How old are you op? Have you given him any grand kids? Phone Post 3.0

Matt Ward - How old are you op? Have you given him any grand kids? Phone Post 3.0
I'm 32, and yes I have kids one is 12 and my youngest son is 8. Phone Post 3.0

Mencken - 

agreed

Mihow - gotta introduce him to hobbies
It's like he has lost interest in all his hobbies. Up until recently he was an avid outdoorsman. He has a brand new cabin on pick wick lake, which he built himself and never uses it. He has basically just abandoned it. He made living as a carpenter and has always had some sort of project going on, but now it seems he has no interest in anything. Phone Post 3.0

What Mencken said.

Also, I'm guessing he doesn't have many friends. Or those he had are gone.

See if there's any clubs involving his interests he can join.

TeleTone -
Matt Ward - How old are you op? Have you given him any grand kids? Phone Post 3.0
Does he take an active role in their lives? I'm sure not now that he is drinking daily. But before? Phone Post 3.0

He should find a hobby.

Or go back to school, do some type of social work maybe with troubled teens or something. Phone Post 3.0

Matt Ward -
TeleTone -
Does he take an active role in their lives? I'm sure not now that he is drinking daily. But before? Phone Post 3.0
Yeah they used to spend the night with him all the time and he would take them fishing and stuff, but as they got older they're always spending the weekend at a friends house and both play sports so a lot of the time that takes up our weekend. He would absolutely not ever let them see him drinking. Phone Post 3.0

TeleTone - My dad is 64 years old, about a year ago he had to have surgery on both shoulders and was told he would no longer be able to work which really really depressed him. Lucky for them my mom has a great job. Anyway since he retired he hung out with his brother-in-law pretty much everyday they were also next door neighbors. Well about 2 months ago his bro in law passed away. Now my dad has started drinking very heavily which is way out of character for him. He starts drinking in the morning, and drinks the day away. I'm very worried about him and don't know what to do about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Phone Post 3.0
Get him a dog Phone Post 3.0

If he likes to drink and needs a hobby get him into beer and wine making. Phone Post 3.0

guesswhatchickenbutt - Go hang with him and do projects. It'll at least take his mind off of it somewhat. Phone Post 3.0

I'd say this too. Spend time with him, do some stuff together with him, go hiking or golfing or something like that together

I have spent very little amount of time with my father and I see him rarely but I enjoy and cherish the memories of all the good things we have done together

Does he play guitar? Sounds like you do...if he doesn't, tell him the time is now and you're teaching him. Phone Post 3.0