Reason why I haven't started jitz or Muay Thai.

Hey guys, so this is kind of my rant thing about the whole martial arts and mma thing being dominated by douches. Of course, this is all my opinion, but here goes. I feel like a lot of people have lost their way when it comes to martial arts. It use to be for competition and self defence, but now I see people abusing it by trying to pick fights with others. I would love to go learn jiu jitsu and Muay Thai, but I feel like the classes would be dominated by assholes. Do any of you get that feeling? Sorry for FRAT or not enough detail. Had a few drinks Phone Post 3.0

OP you're drunk, go to bed.

Assholes are unavoidable in life. Don't let them stop you from what you want to do.

Cheers.

The good gyms with legitimately tuff guy's is nothing like that! I have walked in to a few.

edit typo

BJJ weeds out the assholes after 1 or 2 classes. Their egos can't handle being tapped out by 100lb girls. BJJ class is usually a good environment. Same as MT.

I've trained at several MMA gyms over the years. That hasn't been my experience at all. The guys I train with (especially the more advanced ones) are some of the nicest and most humble people I know. Phone Post 3.0

For BJJ, at my gym atleast most of the D-bags that come in never last. They're ego can't take it.

But as stated above you'll find a few in almost any walk of life, go in there, train, go home. Phone Post 3.0

They tend to gravitate to certain schools in an area. If you live in a bigger city try out a few gyms to get the feel before you join.
I am a woman who has trained both for years and aside from one bad experience my training has remained douche free.

Interesting to note that if I go to a regular gym to lift and do cardio I am surrounded by them and they are far more aggressive.

Go train before you start to sound like one of those guys who likes to list off reasons why they don't, just to cover their embarrassment when they find out I can hurt them. Phone Post

My BJJ gym has some of the nicest guys I ever meet

Sounds more like you are scared to get roughed up imo. Just go you will have tons if fun. Are you on shape? If not you may throw up, but a lot of people do if they're new, but just go man. Phone Post

You will not find a more humble group of guys than guys at my BJJ school. There is literally not a single douche. Best part is we have medalists from every major tournament but you'd never know it unless you googled their names.

When your good, there is no need to act like a clown. Phone Post 3.0

JOB - BJJ weeds out the assholes after 1 or 2 classes. Their egos can't handle being tapped out by 100lb girls. BJJ class is usually a good environment. Same as MT.
. Phone Post 3.0

Dude I don't mean to be harsh but pull your balls up and go to a session. If you go and the guys are douches then find a different school. I was intimidated the first time in an mma gym, but after the first session it was clear my apprehension was silly.

You can't have never been and call everyone douches that's hypocritical as shit. Phone Post 3.0

OP is actually right. A lot of students do bully other people. Mostly kids and college aged students. But, that is the fault of their parents and instructors, not martial arts Phone Post

Arlovskis Chin - Dude I don't mean to be harsh but pull your balls up and go to a session. If you go and the guys are douches then find a different school. I was intimidated the first time in an mma gym, but after the first session it was clear my apprehension was silly.

You can't have never been and call everyone douches that's hypocritical as shit. Phone Post 3.0

This. It sounds more like you are making excuses for why you are not training instead of getting off the couch and TRAINING. You are making far sweeping over generalizations while not training while others are working together and getting better. Now if you just don't want to train that is fine, but stop with the over reaching crap though. And there are douches everywhere in life so unless you become a hermit learn to deal w them. Remember, you go and train for YOU and not for anyone else in the end.

Just go and train and forget about people who act up.... If you think they are assholes it is very probable many others in the class think the same.

Assholes are like that... they think the way they act impresses people and gains friends, but really everyone secretly thinks they are assholes but are nice to them nonetheless.

I just graduated college and literally the only friends I made in four years were from my BJJ school. Greatest group of guys I've ever met. I've stopped by a few other places and trained, I will say some schools are kind of "cliquey" but if you come in and genuinely want to learn, everyone will be cool. Phone Post 3.0

In BJJ and boxing everyone has always been nice. I'm sure some of them are assholes in real life, but when it's class time a good instructor won't put up with that shit.

Just go and see how you like it. It sounds like you're making excuses because you're scared.

"Because they might be mean" is a really silly reason not to try something. Worst comes to worst, you leave and don't come back. It's not like you're going to boot camp or something and you're going to be stuck there with them for weeks.

I think you're masking other, more mundane reasons (laziness for example) for not trying it with this ridiculous stuff. If you really wanted to do it, you'd just do it.

Pitbull3744 - 
FightToLive - The good gyms with legitimately tuff guy's is nothing like that! I have walked in to a few.

edit typo
This and in fact most gyms mine in particular weed those guys out we don't vote them off we beat them off. Seriously though they usually don't last. Phone Post 3.0

That's my kind of gym. I'd love to get beat off at the gym while learning.