Recommend a good Linux distro

I've been using Mandrake for a couple of years now but some changes* they made in 9.2 have ticked me off to the point of looking for a better distro. Prior to using Mandrake I was using RedHat but it didn't work with the video driver on a PC I bought at the time so I switched to Mandrake which worked much better. Now I suppose that a switch back to RedHat is out of the question since they've announced their new business plan. Anyway, I looking for a relatively easy to install distro. I'll be running Apache 2 with php and mysql with ssl enabled. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

* Mandrake 9.2 (unlike 9.1) hid the root login when logging into a GUI. To add root to the GUI login menu you had to boot with KDE and dig through some obscure configuration screens, none of which was documented anywhere I could find on Mandrake's web site. Mandrake also changed some of the base install programs so that to run install php for Apache you had to manually install some other apps like flex which was a huge, and unnecessary, PIA.

www.gentoo.org

I second Gentoo.

gracias, I'm downloading the iso's right now

Make sure that you follow the installation guides because they're very nearly idiot proof. Even a beginner with a little linux experience could follow them.

i heard that suse was the best

"Make sure that you follow the installation guides because they're very nearly idiot proof. Even a beginner with a little linux experience could follow them. "

I think the install is a bit more difficult than you make it sound, but by no means impossible. If you compare it to the GUI installation programs used by Mandrake and RedHat for example, just having to use a command prompt to install a precompiled stage for example makes the Gentoo install more complex. I installed it on my PC (and yes I did print out and follow the Gentoo Handook Installation Instructions on the Gentoo site) but was more difficult than I expected and I've used linux for several years. For many converted Windows users, this install would probably just be too much trouble IMO.

Have you tried Debian?

http://www.debian.org

bringiton,

Gentoo forces you to actually learn a little about the behind-the-scenes stuff of Linux, and how it is installed. It is very valuable experience, which you'll end up using at one point or another.

"Gentoo forces you to actually learn a little about the behind-the-scenes stuff of Linux, and how it is installed. It is very valuable experience, which you'll end up using at one point or another. "

I'm not arguing that it doesn't force you to learn about the behind the scenes of linux or that it is not valuable - just the opposite actually. To install Mandrake or RedHat you have to know practically nothing about linux or have much command-line experience of any kind. That is not the case with the Gentoo install. My whole point, which apparently was not made clearly enough given your post, is that Gentoo is not an 'easy' install as HeavyHands portrayed it, particularlly for someone with little previous Linux experience or who is a long-time Windows user. I've taught thousands of students about computing over the last 10 years and I'm feel pretty confident that I'm not just whistling in the dark here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I appreciate you giving yours.

No problem...I'm not trying to be a dick...I was a long time Windows user, and Gentoo is the first distro I ever installed. I learned a shit load of stuff about it, which is what I was after. In hindsight, it was valuable experience.