recommend VPN router

I'm looking for a VPN router for a site to site VPN.

Must:

Be interoperable with Cisco VPN 3015 concentrator.

Support at least 100 simultaneous IPSec tunnels.

Support IPSec pre-shared keys.

Preferably:

Compatible with MS L2TP/IPsec client that comes with XP and win2k.

Has some facility to change the pre-shared key remotely without a lot of hassle. (Not sure if this last is even possible)

Cost under $1000.

I'm looking at the Cisco 1700 series, especially the 1720. Whaddaya think?

depending on your traffic load and your amount of free time, you could build a fairly strong and fault-redundant offering using an OpenBSD box or SuperFreeS/WAN Linux box.

as far as I know they can all do that.

Soekris offers some embedded boxes that work pretty well as routers.

if you need support, you might want to check out Juniper's offerings, although I think they are more for the ISP and large datacenter.

from what I heard, Juniper makes better equipment than Cisco.

Also, you may wwant to try smoothwall or astaro.

www.astaro.com

www.smoothwall.org

Thanks guys, I will look into them.

"Support at least 100 simultaneous IPSec tunnels."

If you mean 100 inbound connections the Cisco 1700 will not do this.

I don't think you're going to be anywhere NEAR $1000 dollars.

According to

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/1700/prodlit/1721d_ds.htm

" Hardware VPN Encryption Module

All Cisco 1700 models are equipped with an internal expansion slot to support an optional field-installable hardware VPN encryption module. The VPN encryption module offloads encryption processing from the Cisco 1700 Series RISC processor, providing performance up to T1/E1 speeds. The VPN encryption module (MOD1700-VPN) supports a maximum of 100 remote access tunnels. "

According to http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/1700/prodlit/1710s_ds.htm

"Using the Cisco 1710, a VPN can scale to support up to 100 concurrent tunnels or sites in a fully meshed, fully secure global communications web."

I had a good link with a bunch of side by side comparisons of the Cisco VPN routers but I lost it.

"All Cisco 1700 models are equipped with an internal expansion slot to support an optional field-installable hardware VPN encryption module."

I knew there was a VPN expansion module but the one I knew about supported far less inbound connections, Cisco is always coming out with something new. That said, I still don't think it's going to be anywhere near $1000. The 1700 retails at $600 without interfaces I believe.

"What's your budget?" is the correct answer.