Recommended books to read?

I want to give reading a chance. Other than the required reading throughout k-12 and college, I can't say I've ever been much of a reader. However, I'd like to broaden my horizon and try reading once in a while. I figure this is time better spent than just mindlessly watching TV.

Any recommendations for books you've read and really enjoyed? I don't really have any particular preferences or genres that I want to stick to, so anything is fair game.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask

Fiction or non-fiction?

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Love that book..

Ready Player One
Game of Thrones ASOIAF is great
The Hobbit
The Martian
Dune
The Xanth series
The Book of Five Rings
The Art of War

He's a major douche, I've met him in person and he lives up to it, but his books are hysterical
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
Assholes Finish First

How old are you and what types of movies do you enjoy. That might help narrow down some suggestions. 

Im on book for of the expanse series. Great sci fi books

I'm 30, and I guess I like all kinds of movies lol. Probably too hard to narrow down from my perspective, so if you guys can post some of your favorites so that I can check them out, that would be the easiest.

Just finished 'Please Kill Me: An Oral History of Punk Rock' by Legs McNeil. Ungodly entertaining book. 

Dermaphoria and The Contortionists Handbook by Craig Clevenger

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis 

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer 

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote 

Bust by Adam Resnick 

The Universe Doesn't give a Fuck about you

If you like gross crime books, anything by Mo Hayder.

Friday Night Lights- high school football in Texas Colleges teach classes on this book.

Murder in the White City-serial killer HH Holmes at turn of the century during World's Fair in Chicago.

Empire of the Summer Moon-brutality of the Comanche indians.

Calvin & Hobbes

1984 by George orwell

God is not great by Christopher hitchens

the haunted by chuck palahniuk

Art of the deal by Trump

Same age as you and never read much either. Audio books work for me.

Papillon by Henri Charriere 

youre welcome 

1984 seems to be appropriate in these times.  would highly recommend reading it if you havent 

Helter skelter is probably the best true crime book I've read.  written by the prosecutor in the Manson case.  Not for the faint of heart 

Let the right one in/Let me in John Ajvide Lindqvist

If you liked the movie makes sure to read this.  let me in is the English version both in book and movie 

I am Legend by Richard Matheson 

If you were disappointed in the movie, read the book.  man the ending in the movie pissed me off

The Book of Animal Ignorance - John Lloyd, John Mitchinson

Just Visiting This Planet - Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Big Book of Gross Stuff - Bart King

Motivational book for all facets of life:

The Oz Principle  

Literally changed my life. Had all my GM's read it one year and our sales went up 15% during the recession.

I recommended it to a lady I worked with who's husband physically and mentally abused her. A couple years later she had divorced him, got a promotion at work and ended up marrying a doctor hahaha.

Not saying it's the greatest book ever or the secret sauce. But it does definitely trigger something within your thought process that doesn't typically occur to most people on its own.