Recommended Reading for Strength and Conditioning

I recently posted a request for advice about starting a career as a personal trainer. I have been doing a lot of research into this and seem to have sorted out a reputable gym that will allow me to work there and build up a client base eventually, additionally to this I have found a qualification that will get me into the field.

The question that I ask is do any of the forum have any recommended reading material on Strength and Conditioning?. With this I don't mean Men's Health nonsense just some decent information on S&C, human performance, anatomy, and anything in between.

Bodybuilding.com forum Phone Post 3.0

Eric Cressey has been posting recommended reading books recently. Phone Post 3.0

Practical Programming for Strengh Training Phone Post 3.0

Way too broad of a question, IMO.

There's so much S&C info out there that you could make a full-time job of reading for years and not even make a dent. If you really want to get something accomplished - and make it something you can use - narrow your focus.

If your primary goals / work will be with soccer moms helping to get them into better shape and to look/feel better, then there's not a whole lot of need to read texts by Russian sports scientists. If you're going to be individually helping guys who want to enter Spartan races (or the like), then programming on peaking for maximal strength/power development will be of minimal use.

See what I mean?

Figure out exactly (or at least for the most part) what sort of training is it you'll be doing / what sort of goals you'll be helping people to achieve. Once you have that down, it'll be much easier to figure out what to read.

Here are some books I think are useful:

ONE:

TWO:

THREE:

TAKU

taku is that how you rate the books? Phone Post 3.0

srld,

The last link actually mentions three books. Those three are excellent resources. The first two for program design ideas etc. The last one just to learn about what is and isnt possible in the world of S&C.

The first two links are just good overall resources. Both are solid but if I had to pick one, I would go with Maxmize your training. It's a compilation of work by a bunch of experienced coaches on a broad array of topics.

TAKU

Look up Strength Sensei Charles Poloquin his literature, and YouTube channel have plenty of information. He also has courses available. Phone Post 3.0

Delaviers strength training anatomy

Thanks Taku I'll look into them Phone Post 3.0

I've been doing a ton of reading lately on the strength side of strength and conditioning. While this may be obvious for some, I wish someone had given me a copy of Mark Rippetoe before letting me near a gym. I would be a lot farther ahead today, and probably less damaged.

Pavel and Dan John's "Starting Strength" was a great bad book. "Bad" because it is a hot mess of poor editing, but great in terms of a ton of information that I found really useful. I left it feeling that it if I was a personal trainer, I would use it a lot to help me design training programs for my clients' need, rather than what I like.

Out of like 10 books on strength training in the past year, those are the two that stand out for me. (Well, also "Enter the Kettlebell" for upping my lean body mas by 5% after years of being stalled - but not really personal trainer fare I would imagine).

What's people's opinions on Pavel's books?
Beyond bodybuilding, etc Phone Post 3.0

Be interesting to see other's comments on Pavel's books. I have read several and my take would be that the down side is that they tend to be pretty slim volumes for price; I find the "tough Russian Drill Sargent" schtick pretty funny, but I can see where some would get tired of it; and there is a lot of cross selling of his other books - "I explain this in Book X, which you can order from....".

BUT I forgive all of that for the high quality information that is presented. If you follow the programs to the letter you will get results. If you study and follow the technical descriptions on how to do the exercises, you will avoid injury.

I got a LOT out of "Enter the Kettlebell", both the book and the video. I go back to them regularly to fine-tune technique. I have gotten significantly stronger following the program, and not just stronger with kettlebells.

I bought Pavels first three books, and found them to have some interesting information. From my personal experience, everything else he's done is bascially just those same three books, broken into smaller pieces and repackaged. In his written work I find him to be a one trick pony*, but that;s just me.

I've never met him nor heard him speak in person etc. I did (years ago) buy a video set from Drgaon Door featuring some talks he gave...It sucked. I sent it back and asked for my money back. Over priced and broken into many tiny volumes which could have easily been on one disc.

TAKU

* Maybe 2-3 tricks.

Ultimate MMA conditioning is one i come back to a lot.

Google "Russian Bear + Pavel" save a bunch of money. Do the work, get stronger.

Bodyrecomposition website in addition to bodybuilding. com forum Phone Post 3.0

The Inner Game of Tennis.