Record of D. Cardinal shoots....

I got this off an old wrestling fourm board of a match with Dick and another fellow shooter by Mark S Hewitt.

"Sorry, I was relying on my addled memory.
The Dick Cardinal/ Glen Detton shoot took place in 1953. It occured in Puyallup, WA. Cardinal was the policeman on August Sepp's athletic show and handled all the shoots. Most were against cowboys, lumberjacks, etc.-tough guys but with minimal wrestling skill. Sepp had beaten out rival promoter Glen Detton's bid to set up the athletic show at the fair, a very lucrative venue. Detton (claimed to be related to Dean and Gene, but not sure) swore to get even and show up in the midway crowd vowing to beat every wrestler in Sepp's stable. Detton had a reputation as a tough shooter. Sepp agreed to let Detton try his luck with Cardinal to settle the promotional rights in Puyallup ( I'm unclear if the bout took place in private, as part of the at show or in a local house venue...I'll try to gather more details). The two shooters cautiously circled one another for several minutes. Finally Dick took Detton down with a single-leg, back-heel combination. Dick seized a toehold but couldn't lock it out. After more grappling about the mat, Dick secured a reverse Nelson and forced Detton to submit. It had taken twelve minutes.
Dick Cardinal was a master catch-as-catch-can shooter."

WOW all i can say is Dick is a real F*cking Bad ass it's no wonder not a lot of guys in pro-wrestling with hooking skills wanted to mix it up with him and Benny sherman.

thanks

Cardinal needs to release his own DVD set. Most of these Catch greats are up there in age and I hate to say it, but its only a matter of time before they pass. He needs to leave something behind so that when that day does come, he knows his Catch knowledge will live on.

True

Drew price knows dick cardnial well.Hopefully he can talk dick into a dvd!

Yeah, it's a shame no one has put Dick Cardinal teaching on DVD yet!

"Cardinal needs to release his own DVD set. Most of these Catch greats are up there in age and I hate to say it, but its only a matter of time before they pass. He needs to leave something behind so that when that day does come, he knows his Catch knowledge will live on. "

a lot of the old fellas guard there craft...reasons unknown a shame so much the world will loose because of this way of thinking. As you well know i'm not the biggest Karl Gotch fan that being besides the fact Karl knows CATCH-AS-CATCH-CAN if it be your beloved art why take it to the grave when you can share it with the world and thus you and it will be Immortal in name as well as fame?

LOL @ Jake's comment!!!

For some Cardinal material on DVD go here: http://www.scientificwrestling.com/products/item8.cfm

Karl Gotch isn't taking anything to the grave! He's taught all over the world.

He doesn't seek the limelight and believes you must first do conditioning and then learn to wrestle in person. Not through a video.

Karl is single handedly responsible for keeping it alive at all, that doesn't sound like guarding secrets and taking them to the grave to me.

If Karl had died in the WW2 concentration camps, there would not have been the whole Japanese scene. We wouldn't even be talking about Catch right now. We'd be sitting here talking about our pet dogs ears getting clipped or something!

Karl has spread it more than any other single man has. PERIOD.

I know that Dick Cardinal was on the Submission clinic with Fujiwara that Jake put together. What I mean is a VERY detailed and indepth series. Wicks needs to put one out too.

"Karl is single handedly responsible for keeping it alive at all, that doesn't sound like guarding secrets and taking them to the grave to me.

If Karl had died in the WW2 concentration camps, there would not have been the whole Japanese scene. We wouldn't even be talking about Catch right now."

That's funny...some of us learned Catch Wrestling from Billy Wicks...so how could karl be single handedly responsible for keeping it all alive...hmm...

"Karl is single handedly responsible for keeping it alive at all, that doesn't sound like guarding secrets and taking them to the grave "

also Billy robinson,Lou thesz, Toots mondoon and a few others... Karl just so happen to be popular thats all...

I think a couple of you missed my point.

There are others, but not that spread it on a major scale. Shooto, Pancrase, Rings, Pride, Erik Paulson, the Shamrocks, Sakuraba, etc, etc, etc, would not exist had Gotch not spread his knowledge.

I was simply trying to counter the "Gotch taking his stuff to the grave" statement.