Record of Lodoss War

I saw this when I first started to get into anime when I was 12-13 back in the early 90's, but for whatever reason, I kind of forgot about it until recently.

I would have preferred to buy the set, but I've been beyond poor since my house burned down so I just downloaded both the original 13 episode series as well as the 27 episode "Chronicles of the Heroic Knight" series.

I'm around halfway through the first series and I'm completely blown away how amazing this show is - it's one of the very, very few (perhaps the only) anime series that is Western D&D-style fantasy oriented, which, considering how great it is, is kind of disappointing.

Does anyone know if there are any series simi9lar to this that I can track down? I love animation, but I have a mixed history with some series, which just get too goofy and silly for my tastes (I've recently started to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, and I love older series and films like Hokotu No Ken/ Fist of the North Star, The Profession Golgo 13, Crying Freeman, Judge, and Wings of Honneamise, which is one of my favorite films of all time).

Check out Berserk if you're into fantasy stuff

yeah i still have them on disc somewhere in the stack behind my monitor.

SOUL CRUSHER!

although i didnt like how they changed the storyline about the Beld/Fahn fight.

Legend of Crystania(or some shit) was absolute garbage though.

also i still want to know what were all the treasures the ancient dragons were protecting.

Check out Bastard! as well. Dark Schneider is amazingly entertaining!

But, only parts 1-6 exist. It was supposed to go 12 parts (to explain his link to some god) but the cheif writer and sketch artist got arrested in Japan for heroin/coke and he got 20 years for it. They take that shit seriously over there.

Wiki on it

If you like Evangelion, check out Rahxephon.

Thanks for the advice guys.

In general, besides Berserk, Rah Xephon,and Bastard!, what are some other anime series that are worth checking out?

I've sort of picked around the edges of anime and manga for years, but I'd like to delve a little deeper and see some of the great series and films.

Thanks for the advice guys.

In general, besides Berserk, Rah Xephon,and Bastard!, what are some other anime series that are worth checking out?

I've sort of picked around the edges of anime and manga for years, but I'd like to delve a little deeper and see some of the great series and films.

Films:

Anything by Miyazaki

Anything by Makoto Shinkai 

Anything by Satoshi Kon

Series:

Hellsing

Claymore

A Vision of Escaflowne

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Fullmetal Alchemist

Cowboy Bebop

Hellsing

Claymore

.....more later

Hajime no Ippo - brilliant anime TV series about boxing

Shit, it's all on youtube for free

EP Part 1

EP Part 2

EP Part 3

Christ the voice acting is bad!! The original subtitled japanese version is better. Oh well...