Red Light Camera Ticket *Question*

It says on the ticket that it's a non moving violation, that it won't affect my insurance.  The fine is 125.00. 

It says if I don't pay it they turn me into collections.

The thing is, I don't even know if it's valid. It says 43 in a 25 mph zone.  No fucking way.  I just don't do that kinda thing. idk.

Any outs for these type of tickets??

There is only one way to find out if it is valid. Drive through the same intersection at 43 MPH and ask yourself "Does this feel familiar?"

If the answer is no you could question when the last time the radar was calibrated...

Fight it in court. Cameras cant prove it was you driving. Ask to question your accuser (the camera). Phone Post 3.0

I've fought 3 and won them all Phone Post 3.0

xDODZILLAx - Fight it in court. Cameras cant prove it was you driving. Ask to question your accuser (the camera). Phone Post 3.0

If it's a non moving violation they don't have to prove who was driving, only that the car was actually there.  It's basically no different than a parking ticket.  If you lend your car to someone and they get a parking ticket, the owner of the car is still responsible for the ticket.  

TFK_Geoff G Electric - I've fought 3 and won them all Phone Post 3.0
What was the process to fight it? I just got one and its a $500 ticket and says I have to do traffic school.... I don't want to do that. Phone Post 3.0

angryinch - 
xDODZILLAx - Fight it in court. Cameras cant prove it was you driving. Ask to question your accuser (the camera). Phone Post 3.0

If it's a non moving violation they don't have to prove who was driving, only that the car was actually there.  It's basically no different than a parking ticket.  If you lend your car to someone and they get a parking ticket, the owner of the car is still responsible for the ticket.  

Pretty much this. From what I understand, like a parking ticket it is considered a civil matter and not criminal and therefore the same rules do not apply. It amazes me that these are not banned, they have proven themselves to INCREASE accidents.

Where did you get it? Lots of people in LA just ignore them since apparently they cant do shit if you don't acknowledge it

Golden Stater - 
TFK_Geoff G Electric - I've fought 3 and won them all Phone Post 3.0
What was the process to fight it? I just got one and its a $500 ticket and says I have to do traffic school.... I don't want to do that. Phone Post 3.0

What th ehell were you doing to get a $500 ticket and forced traffic school?

Sogsteel - Where did you get it? Lots of people in LA just ignore them since apparently they cant do shit if you don't acknowledge it

A lot of those people have shitty credit and apparantly don't give a shit.

Yo, some seriously bad advice in this thread, haha.

Check the ticket, the appeal process varies by state. For example, in Maryland I have to go to court to appeal, which isn't worth the time I would have to take off work. But in DC, you can appeal by mail. I've gotten off with a written excuse, and then used that same excuse and not gotten off, so it depends on who reviews your claim I guess. But in DC, if it is your first ticket, it almost always gets dismissed, so it may be worth contesting in that off chance. If you go to court for it, and don't have prior tickets, there is a good chance the judge will tell you to drive safer and throw this one out or reduce it. Tell him that you're a broke student in court.

Pugilist82 -
angryinch - 

Pretty much this. From what I understand, like a parking ticket it is considered a civil matter and not criminal and therefore the same rules do not apply. It amazes me that these are not banned, they have proven themselves to INCREASE accidents.
They installed them in school zones in Nassau County (long island) for like 2 months then they disabled them because enough people complained about it and how there were never accidents in the school zones till the cameras were put in Phone Post 3.0

Al Cappucino - 
Sogsteel - Where did you get it? Lots of people in LA just ignore them since apparently they cant do shit if you don't acknowledge it

A lot of those people have shitty credit and apparantly don't give a shit.

WTF does credit have to do with anything?

http://www.laweekly.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ignoring-red-light-camera-tickets-5146123

"So, cutting right to the chase: You can still ignore them with little consequence, experts say. And, no, a recent California Supreme Court red-light camera ruling in People v. Goldsmith does not change that, our sources say.

We hope that this update will allow you to carry on without emailing us for legal advice (we don't have time to respond--sorry) or asking one of our experts if a certain area qualifies as being within L.A. County (get a map!). Here's pretty much everything you need to know about ignoring L.A.'s red-light camera tickets:

-- Yes, you can still ignore L.A.'s red-light camera tickets with little consequence, says Southern California attorney Mark A. Gallagher.

In this instance, L.A. is defined as any jurisdiction or city within Los Angeles County. If you don't know what that is, see this. So you got a red-light camera ticket from park police or an odd-sounding municipality? If the ticket asks you to respond to an L.A. County Superior Court branch, then, yes, this applies, Gallagher says."

Money grabbing bullshit. When I lived in Queens, some locals were shooting the ones installed on Queens Blvd. Now I live in NJ again, and the one thing the state did right in the last few years was shut down all the red light cameras.

I no longer see these anywhere. I thought they were found to be illegal? Phone Post 3.0

Got my licenses suspended while being a broke ass college student because of one of those. Was driving through fucking Bakersfield and of course the one street I pull off on to get gas has one.

Fuck those fucking things. Phone Post 3.0

flying_flamingo_kick - 
Pugilist82 -
angryinch - 

They installed them in school zones in Nassau County (long island) for like 2 months then they disabled them because enough people complained about it and how there were never accidents in the school zones till the cameras were put in Phone Post 3.0

Tell me about it, I pass East Meadow High School on my way to work and I got hit with like 5 within a couple weeks. They were hitting me with 5 mph over. Then a letter came shortly after saying that they were all dismissed.

Good thing I wait until the last minute to pay these kinds of things.

it depends on your state and what the courts have decided. In some states you can ignore them and the court has agreed.

Trial by declaration fellas. Beat a $480 red light ticket passing thru Baldwin Park, CA that way. There's a site I got info from, let me see if I can find it. Phone Post 3.0

http://www.highwayrobbery.net is the site. Might be useful if you're in California Phone Post 3.0