Redwood lumberjacks in the 1940s (vid)

Fuck, that is fascinating shit!!!

Seriously, that's when men were men. I'm all for getting my hands dirty and hard work but fuck climbing up a tree with just heel spikes and a rope to cut down a fucking redwood!

1 Like

My Dad was a faller in the 40's and 50's. 

Samoa -

Fuck, that's awesome. You don't happen to have any pics of him in action that you'd be willing to share, do you?

I stumbled on this video this morning while taking my morning shit and it sent me down the rabbit hole. Fascinating shit imo. 

Samoa -

You hear about the two Irish guys looking for work who saw a help wanted sign reading "Tree Fallers wanted."

One said to the other "ah, bejeezus, Paddy. But there's only two of us."

I'll be here all week folks. 

1 Like
Nitecrawler -
Samoa -

Fuck, that's awesome. You don't happen to have any pics of him in action that you'd be willing to share, do you?

I stumbled on this video this morning while taking my morning shit and it sent me down the rabbit hole. Fascinating shit imo. 

I will look. Lots of pics. Just gotta get to em. 

Fascinating stuff but God I hate seeing a redwood get cut down.

Incredible though just watching a man with an axe and a saw bringing something that huge down. 

grafzep -

Incredible though just watching a man with an axe and a saw bringing something that huge down. 

Agreed. While I was watching that vid I wondered approximately how many swings of an axe it would take to bring down a redwood. 

When men were men

Nitecrawler -
grafzep -

Agreed. While I was watching that vid I wondered approximately how many swings of an axe it would take to bring down a redwood. 

Yea, the sequoia grove in Yosemite is breathtaking, but I also understand why we'd want to make use of such a valuable and seemingly plentiful resource. 

oldnslow -
Samoa -

You hear about the two Irish guys looking for work who saw a help wanted sign reading "Tree Fallers wanted."

One said to the other "ah, bejeezus, Paddy. But there's only two of us."

I'll be here all week folks. 

Thank you for legit lol

Nitecrawler -
grafzep -

Ask any owl wearing glasses and a tasseled hat.

1 Like

My grandfather was a teacher and in the summer months logged redwoods. Next time I go to my parent's house I'll get some pictures. 

I can't imagine how tiring that would be to use an ax to top a tree while on spikes.  I've used a pruning saw to top a 2 foot tree before and that about wiped me out.  

I wonder how many tree faller's heads were taken off on kick backs.

Most satisfying job in the world?

Nitecrawler - 
grafzep -

First thing I thought..did 2 guys just stand on each side and whack away with an ax until they get it or do hew guys rotate in after an hour? I don't mind working co strutting but fuck standing there all day swinging an axe like that!

prof - Most satisfying job in the world?

Yeah, and one of the most dangerous.  There are a hundred ways to die as a logger.

This is what they call a barber-chair.  The tree splits vertically - usually because the wedge cuts don't meet each other perfectly or the tree is rotted up the middle.  You end up with the tree teetering on one half of the stump high up the tree and you can't predict which way it will fall.  My father-in-law (RIP) told me hundreds of stories about logging back in the 40's in B.C.  He hopped a train going west from north of Toronto and travelled by rail all the way there when he was 17.

Haka Jawaka -
prof - Most satisfying job in the world?

Yeah, and one of the most dangerous.  There are a hundred ways to die as a logger.

This is what they call a barber-chair.  The tree splits vertically - usually because the wedge cuts don't meet each other perfectly or the tree is rotted up the middle.  You end up with the tree teetering on one half of the stump high up the tree and you can't predict which way it will fall.  My father-in-law (RIP) told me hundreds of stories about logging back in the 40's in B.C.  He hopped a train going west from north of Toronto and travelled by rail all the way there when he was 17.

Yikes

Love it

Nature rapers of the 1940s IMO - those ignorant old timers probably didn't understand what they were killing though.