Redzone II Review

Let me start by saying that I rarely eview things I review things. I am not patient enough. But I recently watched Jerry Wetzel's new Redzone tape and thought I would share my thoughts.

Redzone II: Simply Advanced

For those of you who have seen Jerry Wetzel's previous tape on edged weapon defense before you know what a an excellent instructional it was, after watching it I was left to think, I wonder how he'll top that.

well he did, on numerous aspects.

First lets talk about the quality of the video in terms of prododuction. Redzone 1(RZI) was a great tape but clearly was not made on a hollywood budget this did not detract from the tape but there were issues with the sound quality. Now normally this wouldn't bother me but Jerry has a lot of important things to say so I feel it is important that his message come through loud and clear.

On this DVD the audio was clear and unmuddled. The video quality was superb for a martial arts instructinal, and the DVD format helped greatly.

Jerry also spent more time on scenarios which happened outdoors, I liked that, I mean why try to recreate reality in the dojo when you can just go outside and actually film in reality. The scenarios as presented were excellent with verbalization, preconflict, and the whole nine yards.

Jerry as in his past tape spends about 30% of the tape discussing what he is going to do, and his reasonings behind it. Jerry is a man who says what is on his mind and it is refreshing to hear someone speak without worrying about offending thse who don't agree with his position. I feel that Jerry could actually put out an audio CD of his material and it would be as valuable as his DVD's.

Now on to the actual technical information on the tape...

Jerry has divided this tape into various chapters dealing with different attacking scenarios, things such as highline attacks, shanking, and some of the methods which they espouse. He also starts his tape by demonstrating reality versus fantasy, which clearlty showed the direction he was going in.
Overall I was really impressed with the material presented. He delivered it in a logical progression and spent time explains the why's and not just the how's.

it is impossible for me to spend time explaining every nuance of every technique, buy the tape if you want to see it but here are the things that stood out to me.

1) Jerry is firmly grounded in reality
2) These techniques are trained in a realistic manner
3) Jerry covers material not covered by any other tape on the market
4) The techniques have a high margin for error

Now that all being said there are areas where I disagree with Jerry on technique, we all have them, nothing major. Jerry doesn't address the defenes from the point of view of the armed individual and some of the techniques really open up your gunside, but I don't belive that was the scope of what he was trying to accomplish.

Overall this is a great DVD, definately top of my list for those wishing to work on realistic edged weapon defense, and seeking to go beyond what is traditionally taught.

Great review.

I didn't know that Redzone II was available.

Nothing is listed about it on his webpage.

TTT for Jerry!!!

"4)The techniques have a high margin of error"

I'm assuming you meant to say LOW margin of error?

Bryan

I meant high margin FOR error...

ooops.

Marc

Hi guys,

The order info for the new DVD will be up soon. I've been really busy lately.

Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on the video. Your input is always appreciated. With regard to defense from the point of armed individuals and/or opening up the gunside, you're correct. I was not focusing on these areas for this video. I'll leave LEO considerations to those who work in the field or specialize there. Also, I would not put LEO tactics on a video marketed to civilians.

Take care,
Jerry

Hello to All,

Just had an opportunity to review the Red Zone II DVD.

I LIKE IT........I WILL USE IT.......I RECOMMEND IT.

I love instructionals that would show you a handful of easy workable principles and concepts, and then have the rest of the time devoted to showing you how it is applicable in dozens of REALISTIC scenarios.

The Red Zone II video has this.

I am less impressed by someone showing me hundreds of techniques, without the subtle and salient explanations.

I watched this video ONCE, and was able to teach it to my guys........

HOWEVER, one needs to understand from the outset that Jerry addresses common committed knife assaults......and he shows easy workable responsed to THESE attacks. One can forever theories how the video didn't cover this attack or that attack.............IRRELEVANT. Take the video in the CONTEXT that it was supposed to, and you will learn something.

What I liked about this video is an improvement to the entry with the use of DIVE AND DRIVE. That one concept in itself is worth the video in my opinion.

I had trouble with the original entry shown in Red Zone I, in that I have "girly" hands and fingers......so sprained thumbs and bent back fingers were a regular incident. The Dive and Drive helped alleviate that danger

Of course, I will add this to what I ALREADY do, but I think the Dive and Drive will improve my handling of low line threats. I basically enter with my "cross block" position just in case the assailant does a fake low, strike high, but the actual low line pick up is excellent.

The follow ups I do will vary.........but the hard part is getting in and immobilising the knife hand.

I would advise that you get Red Zone I and II for a complete understanding of the principles.

ttt for a great program, a great guy, and such a well produced video.

sounds awesome, best of luck with this project.

Nice review!!!