Ref ruined the Overeem/Werdum fight

The Ref really could have helped fight if he at least gave Werdum a warning and maybe took a point if he kept on stalling/going doing his odd fake knockdown get Overeem to the ground stuff. Makes one really miss yellow cards.

Nothing Werdum did was illegal.

suess -  werdum ruined the overeem werdum fight

This

If the ref took a point away from Werdum for butt-flopping he would be fired, he has no power in deciding if Werdum was faking the knockdown or not. The ref did all he could do in this fight within the powers the rules gave him, if you want to blame somebody for ruining the fight blame Werdum. The judges also did the right thing by giving Overeem the decision and basically showing buttflopping will lose you the fight.

Fights like that are a gift to MMA fans.  It wasn't boring, it was odd.  I'll remember that fight a lot longer than I remember some of the "better" ones.

Was anyone else reminded of Anderson Silva vs Demian Maia?

You guys are right. I didn't take into account rigid the rules are.

Is stalling not illegal? Phone Post

2JupitersTooMany -  Fights like that are a gift to MMA fans.  It wasn't boring, it was odd.  I'll remember that fight a lot longer than I remember some of the "better" ones.

I didn't think it was that bad. It was Kind of a throw back to style vs style fights of the past.

To be honest I thought it was more entertaining then the last GSP fight

Stalling is illegal. And telling a fighter to stand up 2-3 times in one sitting (lol @ even being able to say that)is stalling. He deserved to at least be warned. If he did it again after the warning, he should have had a point deducted.

Werdum spin team in full effect!

"STALLING ISN'T ILLEGAL!!!"

Imagine if Werdum would have submitted him in the 3rd when there was an extended period of time that Overeem was in his guard. He would be the most hated man in MMA. It would be hilarious.

Dude flops around, makes funny faces, invites people to get in his guard, and wins LOL

Defecation - 
2JupitersTooMany -  Fights like that are a gift to MMA fans.  It wasn't boring, it was odd.  I'll remember that fight a lot longer than I remember some of the "better" ones.

I didn't think it was that bad. It was Kind of a throw back to style vs style fights of the past.

To be honest I thought it was more entertaining then the last GSP fight

I was thinking the same thing about the throwback to style vs style. I was watching Pride 1-3 over the last week and this fight doesn't look so odd in the context of some of those fights.

I have to admit that sometimes I miss the old days. Nowadays more and more fights are fought pretty much exactly the same as each other. It's not bad you have one or two guys that are talented/special but if they aren't it ends up to be on the boring side.

Defecation - I have to admit that sometimes I miss the old days. Nowadays more and more fights are fought pretty much exactly the same as each other. It's not bad you have one or two guys that are talented/special but if they aren't it ends up to be on the boring side.

Just something about the aura of the time. Rickson's fight in Pride 1 was so exciting to watch the first time.. even though it was basically 20+ minutes of extremely slow paced grappling.

A fight like that nowadays would have more action going on in the crowd than in the fight.

need yellow cards...

Calhoon - Nothing Werdum did was illegal.

Fouls
Timidity (avoiding contact, or consistent dropping of mouthpiece, or faking an injury)

Calhoon - Dropping to guard is no more timid than standing up out of guard.

Dropping to guard is not illegal.

Flopping is like running away. Let's be real, this wasn't an Aoki-esque I'm gonna pull guard on your ass and go crab mode on, it was just a plain flop.

gatotwopointoh - 
Calhoon - Dropping to guard is no more timid than standing up out of guard.

Dropping to guard is not illegal.

Flopping is like running away. Let's be real, this wasn't an Aoki-esque I'm gonna pull guard on your ass and go crab mode on, it was just a plain flop.

Not even close.

i think werdum was doing what was called "squat sitting getups"