Reflections on Silva vs Weidman I

Man you're the best, thanks!

Love your work Jack :) Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

"Weidman had, however, shut Silva's counter game down well throughout the fight. He did this by first creating uncertainty with his attacks and then correcting the distance between himself and Silva between engagements."

- Im not sure why it was but people do certainly seem to overlook this fact.

Im not if Jack or others have mentioned enough of Anderson's loss of control though. Anderson admitted it, he acknolwedged fighting with his corner, someone just pointed out how Feijao was screaming at Anderson in the 2nd round. Another thing people seem to be overlooking is how Anderson was taunting Weidman after the R1 bell. This was completely uncharacteristic and that is what made me seem he lost control watching live.

Weidman comments on that in the preview. I think the over the top clowning in R2 was in part to make up for Andy's insecurity that he wasnt on and losing the fight....though the nuance is that it was working to an extent, he just took it too far and because he had lost control.

I feel like im one of the few guys who is a fan of both. Im an Andy fan first and foremost though so will be rootting for him but i think Weidman is the real deal and is perhaps the most complete MW ever (between him and Busta).

I also like how Jack acknowledges the double up but that it was just one piece of the puzzle.

"With many of Silva's opponents one can almost sense them bolstering their courage for a big push just before they step in and Silva douses their lights. It doesn't matter what fighting discipline you come from, or indeed what sport you are competing in, smoke and mirrors is the name of the game. If every time you step in you throw yourself into a committed attack, a good counter fighter will be able to tell what you're going to do before you even do it."

This reminds me of the verse on deception in the Art of War.

"Successul war follows the path of Deception. Thus when you are act to act, feign incapacity; when deploying, feign inactivity; when you are close, appear to be far off; when you are distant, appear close. When your opponent seeks an advantage, lure him further; if he is in disorder, crush him; if he is organized, be ready for him; when he is strong, avoid him; when he is angry, goad him further; if he is humble, be overbreading; if he is resting, harry him; if his armies are united, split them. Attack where he is unprepared, appear where you are least expected. Thus you may see that in war, suprise is the key to victory."

I think its clear Silva clowns for the above reasons but Weidman also "crushed" Anderson when he was in "disorder." I think Silva tried to be "overbearing" against the "humble" Weidman but it didnt work (fully - he did lure him into the striking game) but Weidman ultimately kept his cool which is no small feat since it was his first title fight against the GOAT.

Cool read. Thanks for expanding my experience. Phone Post 3.0

Quality as always Phone Post 3.0

Jack, you mentioned the flawed nature of Weidman's finishing combination; an overextended charge exposing him to counterstrikes, but do you think Weidman may have intentionally attacked that way because Anderson wasn't expecting it? Is it possible that Weidman lured Anderson into overcommitting to his baiting antics, and then charged in with a sloppy yet effective combination when Anderson fell into the trap?

TTT!

Stephen Holder -
Wasa-B - "Weidman had, however, shut Silva's counter game down well throughout the fight. He did this by first creating uncertainty with his attacks and then correcting the distance between himself and Silva between engagements."

Im not if Jack or others have mentioned enough of Anderson's loss of control though. Anderson admitted it, he acknolwedged fighting with his corner, someone just pointed out how Feijao was screaming at Anderson in the 2nd round. Another thing people seem to be overlooking is how Anderson was taunting Weidman after the R1 bell. This was completely uncharacteristic and that is what made me seem he lost control watching live.

Weidman comments on that in the preview. I think the over the top clowning in R2 was in part to make up for Andy's insecurity that he wasnt on and losing the fight....though the nuance is that it was working to an extent, he just took it too far and because he had lost control.

I feel like im one of the few guys who is a fan of both. Im an Andy fan first and foremost though so will be rootting for him but i think Weidman is the real deal and is perhaps the most complete MW ever (between him and Busta).

I also like how Jack acknowledges the double up but that it was just one piece of the puzzle.

Was Silva compensating for his insecurities/deficits when he began clowning against Griffin? How a bout Bonnar or Maia? The only other fight you can compare Anderson to when he was in huge trouble as of late is the first Sonnen fight.. And there was zero clowning. So where is the context for your insistence that Silva was clowning out of desperation. We have tons of examples of Anderson getting overconfident and acting goofy but none where he gets scared and resorts to clowning, why would you assume this?

Part of why this is so confusing for many to understand is how people evaluate the fight up to the ko. If you see Weidman as being dominant then you obviously think Anderson was frustrated. I personally think that Anderson was expecting Chris to be like Sonnen 2.0 and he just wasn't. Sure Chris was winning on the scorecards but the way everyone was talking leading up to the fight they made it sound like Silva was gonna get suffocated on the ground. By the time of the ko Silva was already stuffing Chris's tds. There's a part on the flashback segment where they intentionally show Anderson's facial grimice after the last td stuff. Regardless of how you asess the fight, Silva was in his mind moments from victory when he did the excessive clowning. It blows my mind that people don't see this.
Great article Jack, but I saw it like this too. Phone Post 3.0

Subbed. Jack, less TTT and more A's to the Q's :-) Phone Post 3.0

Stephen Holder - 
Wasa-B - "Weidman had, however, shut Silva's counter game down well throughout the fight. He did this by first creating uncertainty with his attacks and then correcting the distance between himself and Silva between engagements."

Was Silva compensating for his insecurities/deficits when he began clowning against Griffin? How a bout Bonnar or Maia? The only other fight you can compare Anderson to when he was in huge trouble as of late is the first Sonnen fight.. And there was zero clowning. So where is the context for your insistence that Silva was clowning out of desperation. We have tons of examples of Anderson getting overconfident and acting goofy but none where he gets scared and resorts to clowning, why would you assume this?

Part of why this is so confusing for many to understand is how people evaluate the fight up to the ko. If you see Weidman as being dominant then you obviously think Anderson was frustrated. I personally think that Anderson was expecting Chris to be like Sonnen 2.0 and he just wasn't. Sure Chris was winning on the scorecards but the way everyone was talking leading up to the fight they made it sound like Silva was gonna get suffocated on the ground. By the time of the ko Silva was already stuffing Chris's tds. There's a part on the flashback segment where they intentionally show Anderson's facial grimice after the last td stuff. Regardless of how you asess the fight, Silva was in his mind moments from victory when he did the excessive clowning. It blows my mind that people don't see this.

Weidman is definitely nothing like Chael on the ground or anywhere else for that matter. Chael is a snuggly blanket, dispatching little rabbit punches from time to time to not get stood up.

Weidman on the other hand is a dynamic and aggressive juggernaut looking for a finish every second of the fight. He dropped some bombs on him before diving for that sub.

Think about what that does to the mind of Silva. Here's this guy that should fear your stand up and has you right where he wants you and instead of holding on to that position for dear life that fucker is playing it loose, even giving up his position to finish you, the P4P best in the world, in the first fucking round.

I think it's safe to say he was at least a little bit irritated after that happened. The difference between R2 in the Weidman and Sonnen 2 fight was that Silva wasn't afraid of getting taken down by Chael for one round or another but he wanted no part of Weidman taking him down and quite frankly having his way with him, because that's what happened in R1 and it blows my mind when people don't see that.

Stephen Holder - 

Something to keep in mind regarding Anderson keeping the fight on the feet is that John Danaher mentioned that they planned to let Anderson have underhooks in the clinch so Weidman could simply lean on him in order to tire him out.

One more bump!