Refs have to "waive in" soccer kicks?

Can someone please explain this fuckery to me? Either allow soccer kicks or don't. Is the ref like the guy in World Star Hip-Hop videos encouraging soccer kicks at the right time? WTF is an "open attack?"

I saw the headlines and never even heard of this shit. It sounds absurd to begin with.

The most dangerous strike in MMA, IMO, would be when someone is half KO'd on all fours, then someone runs up and soccer kicks them.

Maybe that's why the rule is the way it is.

Seems good in theory, but in practice it's too confusing for the fighters who are in the heat of battle

The ref has to sign a waver, and then waive them in

It is a really weird rule and very hard to control. The reality is that most of the time if a fighter gets another fighter in trouble, it's going to be hard to wait for the ref to waive it in. If somebody's going for the finish, stopping them mid combination is not very realistic. It would take perfect timing from the ref and the fighter, neither of which will happen at the same time constantly. IMHO, allow soccer kicks at anytime during the bout or don't. Phone Post

Foos - The most dangerous strike in MMA, IMO, would be when someone is half KO'd on all fours, then someone runs up and soccer kicks them.

Seems good in theory, but in practice it's too confusing for the fighters who are in the heat of battle

Agreed.

Considering the "open attack" rule was put in for fighters safety, it's strange how Baroni was permitted to grab the fenc with both hands and tee off on his oppenent with soccer kicks and that was fine. Lol.

I watched the rules at the beginning. They failed to mention the soccer kick waive in.

Allow soccer kicks!

Save the "waving in" for when the girls arrive at your after-party.

Confusing and ineffective rule is confusing and ineffective.

Oh fuck, waive. I'm fucking retarded.

The 'open attack' rule utilized in ONE FC that states soccer kicks are allowed only if the fighter that's on the ground is in a position to defend. When the rule is in effect, the referee will literally yell 'open attack,' giving the fighter the chance to dominate their opponent with soccer kicks and stomps.

This is Matt Hume's explanation at the One FC summit.

fight4real -  Allow soccer kicks!

Save the "waving in" for when the girls arrive at your after-party.

Confusing and ineffective rule is confusing and ineffective.

This is what Tim Hague needed on t-shirts. Phone Post

Fucking nonsense rule. Phone Post

LMAO funny thread

So he has to ask the ref before he soccer kick or he has to wait for the ref to say somethin? Dumb Phone Post

Foos - The most dangerous strike in MMA, IMO, would be when someone is half KO'd on all fours, then someone runs up and soccer kicks them.

This is why. They don't want a semi-ko'd guy getting punted horribly.

I am sure I'm in the minority but I kind of like the rule. Phone Post

Tom Lawlor - 
Foos - The most dangerous strike in MMA, IMO, would be when someone is half KO'd on all fours, then someone runs up and soccer kicks them.

This is why. They don't want a semi-ko'd guy getting punted horribly.

I am sure I'm in the minority but I kind of like the rule. Phone Post

I like the intent of the rule, but it's too difficult to enforce properly without controversy.

Big fan, btw. :)

"The rule has worked out great so far"--Roger Huerta

It seems idiotic and it has definitely not saved any fighters from excessive punishment. It's turned it into a gray area, where the fighters end up horribly paying for it with these pathetically ignorant refs. I say just don't have soccer kicks if it comes with this stipulation. Wouldn't the split-second you would have to take to get the green light from the ref make a huge difference most of the time?

I am not against a downed opponent getting punted. If I can do it, he can do it. That's okay with me in combat sports. I understand that, as it is a sport, we want to curb unnecessary damage or life-threatening damage. I just believe that those strikes are neither unnecessary nor life-threatening.

If I have the opportunity to finish a guy with one kick to his (downed) head, it may actually spare him the cumulative damage of me being on top pounding his face while he is only semi-conscious anyway. So you see, the arguments for these sort of rules can really be refuted quite easily.

What it boils down to is what is acceptable in a combat sport. I like more combat, less sport. I also understand that to make the sport more palatable to the mainstream, you sometimes have to make concessions.

It just bugs me when people create more rules for a sport that is supposed to be the last haven for a combat sport that has as few rules as possible so it can resemble real fighting as much as possible.

Just fight...

Arlovski: This is SPARTA! kicks Sylvia
Ref: Wait hold on a second, let's discuss the arrangement and confirm with paperwork.
Arlovski: O_o ?
Sylvia: Stop the fight, I can't find my belt that I wear 24/7. Help me look, ref.
Ref: Sure thing. THIS BOUT HAS BEEN RULED A NO CONTEST.
Arlovski: kicks the OneFC rulebook into bolivian