Religion

In our world, control is everything

And few things have ever offered the few, the control over the many, as organized religion has.

No matter your denomination, or beliefs, your life has and is affected every day by religion.

As a teenager I walked away from being a pastor, when in a moment of true inspiration I realized the

truth that organized religion is a lie.

The connection with the creator,is an individual one, and no church can make that connection for you, only you can do that!

Agreed but the building can bring people together and as a Pastor you can help lead people to that individual relationship. I say screw denominations and just let God and the Holy Spirit direct you. Phone Post

Agreed, if the shepherd of the building is good.

I must apologize....as I have received the call and must now leave this forum.

Best wishes for you and yours.

I do not believe that spirituality can be an individual pursuit. That said, I do not have any love for what is commonly called organized religion. I believe we learn to love our enemies by being in a supportive community, that has no hierarchy, and no power structures. This is why I am a Christian anarchist following in the tradition of the Catholic Worker, the Anabaptists, the Waldensians, and many others.

rev

I am a Christian but I can tell you that in no way am I religious. I was taught that religion tells you what you have to do in order for you to get closer to God or simply your works get you to God. Christianity has taught me there's nothing you can do to get closer to God. Nothing. Because its already been done, by the blood of Jesus Christ. He went to the cross for you, bridging the gap between you and God. He died for our sins so we can get to God through Him. Acknowledging Him as your Lord and savior is the key to eternal life. Once you do that accepting Him into your life will open your eyes. Phone Post 3.0

that is not actually what religion or religious means

rev

Elaborate Rev? What exactly is a Christian anarchist btw?? Phone Post 3.0

FearHIM - I am a Christian but I can tell you that in no way am I religious. I was taught that religion tells you what you have to do in order for you to get closer to God or simply your works get you to God. Christianity has taught me there's nothing you can do to get closer to God. Nothing. Because its already been done, by the blood of Jesus Christ. He went to the cross for you, bridging the gap between you and God. He died for our sins so we can get to God through Him. Acknowledging Him as your Lord and savior is the key to eternal life. Once you do that accepting Him into your life will open your eyes. Phone Post 3.0

It sounds like you are religious then. Jesus was very religious too.

Actually Gord, there are many examples in the bible that support my beliefs.You should try reading it sometime. I only say that because it shows that you don't read it. if you read the bible youd know that the most religious people of that time were the ones who wanted Jesus killed, and accused him of healing in the name of Satan. And no in no way am I religious, I believe there's only one way to God that is through Jesus. I only follow what the bible teaches, and attend a church that only teaches from an opened bible. No other doctrines or books what so ever. God bless. Phone Post 3.0

You must have skipped james go read it and come back to me you prideful little shit Phone Post 3.0

Rev just a couple things you don't know about me 1) I read my bible daily and yes I have read the entire book of James more than once. 2) im anything but little. I'm actually a large Polynesian man. 3) I am not in anyway full of pride and you don't know me. I actually suffer from a disorder that I feel keeps my pride in check. But like I said you dont know me so don't act like you do. I come to the conclusion that we both are in Gods word but interpret it very differently. I already see what your getting at when you said to go read James. But like I said we both interpret the bible very differently. So there's no reason to argue with you cause ill have my points and you'll have yours. But your last remarks and comments about me in your last post interestingly made a certain scripture jump out of the page at me. And I'd like to end with it.
James 3:9-10
"With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings who have been made in Gods likeness. Out of the same mouth comes praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, THIS SHOULD NOT BE." Phone Post 3.0

I did not curse you and you are prideful. You disrespect my friend saying he doesn't read his bible just because he doesn't agree with your complete false understanding of what the word religion means.

The word region means as system of thought belief and faith in a god including a moral system and creation myth. So Christianity is a religion. Saying its not a religion it's a relationship is like those idiots who say its not a dirt it's a way of life

The word religious means to devoutly follow a religion and its precepts. Therefore like the book of james clearly says religion that The Lord truly accepts cares for the orphan and the widow. Which show right in plain wording that God approves of pure good religion

So stop with your "if you read the bible" millions of people ba e read the bible over the years and don't agree on what it means so don't act all superior like you have the answers

Rev Phone Post 3.0

Idiots that say its not a diet it's a way of life Phone Post 3.0

Rev John,
I was going to make many of the same points, but you managed to communicate them much more succinctly than I could have. My only disagreement would be that "religion" does not necessarily imply either faith in deities or a Creation myth, though these are quite often found in religions.

FearHim,
Back when I was a believer, I used to profess that same idea: "it's not a religion, but rather a personal relationship with God!"

Unfortunately, bullshit by any other name smells just as foul (to paraphrase Billy Shakes).

You adhere to moral tenets and perform traditional rituals based on a codified system taught to you by an authority figure. That is the very definition of religion.

And, while you may claim that you do not hold to any doctrines from outside the Bible, the truth is that you very probably DO subscribe to such dogma, without even realizing it.

For example, do you believe in the doctrine of the Trinity?

How about the doctrine that Jesus was simultaneously fully human AND fully divine?

Do you hold to the tradition that Satan was originally an angel, before rebelling against God?

Do you believe that the whole Bible is the inspired word of God? Do you believe that it is inerrant?

None of these doctrines are explicitly taught in the Bible. Phone Post

Rev and Kung Fu again I feel that we all interpret the bible very differently thus our beliefs are entirely different.

Rev call me prideful in whatever way. If I have come across as prideful to you or friend please forgive me. Like I said earlier I do read my bible and I believe that pride is a trait that God often expresses very negatively. So I feel I should suppress my pride as much as I can. But what do I have to be proud of. I am a wretch of man who falls short of Gods glory every minute of the day. I find no pride in that. That's why I need this relationship with Jesus and thankful he died for our sins. Phone Post 3.0

Kind Fu you expressed that these items you've listed are not supported by the
Bible. Forgive me but I fully disagree. I can pin point each of those items you listed in the bible as scripture. and I don't look at the items you've listed as what you claim them to be, to me it's FACT. It's the truth and the way. Phone Post 3.0

For both of you I leave this. Tell the thousands of Christians around the world who hold on dearly to the same ideas that I believe in, that are being martyrd, persecuted, and hated all around this world at this very moment that what we believe in , is as you state BS. You know what?, it wouldn't do any good cause we still believe. We still love Jesus, believe the gospel, and believe he went to the cross so we could have a relationship with our God. And I will not be ashamed or be shaken by any other beliefs or what you have to say about what I believe because the bible tells me that people like you two will try to break me down and make me feel as if there is no truth to what I believe. It clearly says in the bible about what you two stand for. You want to preach what people want to hear other than what they should hear.. The truth. Have both of you forgotten, the truth will set you free. As I write this I feel
Deeply saddened of how we as man have fallen so far away from God. Thank God for Jesus Christ. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks to your church for the bible ridge

Too bad you obviously do t read it or else you too would believe the rhetoric of this humblest of servants

Rev Phone Post 3.0

FearHIM - Actually Gord, there are many examples in the bible that support my beliefs.You should try reading it sometime. I only say that because it shows that you don't read it. if you read the bible youd know that the most religious people of that time were the ones who wanted Jesus killed, and accused him of healing in the name of Satan. And no in no way am I religious, I believe there's only one way to God that is through Jesus. I only follow what the bible teaches, and attend a church that only teaches from an opened bible. No other doctrines or books what so ever. God bless. Phone Post 3.0

I have read it my friend. Actually it's when I really started reading it and looking into its origins in preparation for my journey into pastoral ministry last year that I actually decided to leave Christianity behind me. Before that, I spent nearly every day reading it.

FearHIM - Kind Fu you expressed that these items you've listed are not supported by the
Bible. Forgive me but I fully disagree. I can pin point each of those items you listed in the bible as scripture. and I don't look at the items you've listed as what you claim them to be, to me it's FACT. It's the truth and the way. Phone Post 3.0

Once again, none of the items I listed are explicitly taught in the Bible. If you think they are, provide the Book-Chapter-Verse that proves me wrong. Phone Post