Relson on his feud w Royce & Rickson's record...

interesting

pcuzz - Weird what he says about Royce, I could see him saying that about Renzo fighting Hughes since it looked like a bad kickboxing match but I dont remember Royce trying to really stand with Hughes.

Relson said that Royce did not train with him or with any of the family members instead he trained in Muay Thai and some other stuff with some other guys and that is why he got his ass kicked.

one thing I cannot take seriously is when Relson's bio says he was Brazilian National champion 22 years in a row. That is like, unprecedented domination of a sport never heard of, in any sport for that matter.

And then there is the part where the first Brazilian Nationals took place in 1993.

Another thing about his claims that are fishy. Relson has all these tournament credentials and championships. Then there are other BJJ instructors out there that have come up from around the same generation as Relson and yet in their biographies, claim few titles and championship credentials because in part there were not much competitions around at that time. If Relson had been 22 years champion, who were his challengers? Who took 2nd place to him, 3rd, so on? You don't hear any other person advertising or claiming in any participation against the great undefeated 22 year champion.

Something just doesn't add up

ttt

Most of the Gracie's lie about their exploits.

Relson was never family champion, as far as the brothers. That title belonged to Rolls and then Rickson.

Revisionist history by Relson.

no disrespect to relson but i prefer the gracies (and people in general)that don't have to inflate or even mention their accomplishments (i.e. rilion gracie). something to be said about being humble and purposely not being in the public eye Phone Post

brixx139 - 

no disrespect to relson but i prefer the gracies (and people in general)that don't have to inflate or even mention their accomplishments (i.e. rilion gracie). something to be said about being humble and purposely not being in the public eye Phone Post

Agreed and ttt for Master Rilion.

The Gracie spin/PR machine is in full effect here.

http://www.bjjeasteurope.com/2012/08/relson-gracie-on-sport-jiu-jitsu-roger.html

I read this and all I could think was "wow, how delusional" Phone Post

I really like the guy but he is completely delusional.

12 -
dannybjj -  I find it quite surprising that he still believes you can be a top competitor in today's mma with only jiu jitsu, and that royce lost to Matt Hughes because royce fought using karate! And you wont get your face punched if you only use gracie jiu jitsu! :-\ Phone Post

i dont think any of them believe that.thats not the point.rickson told ralek it be better to lose with just gjj then to change everything he's been taught.something like that

Perhaps! I know you are much more in the know when it comes to that. Just commenting on what I read! Of course my reading comprehension may have not been on to well! Phone Post

Team Python - 
pcuzz - Weird what he says about Royce, I could see him saying that about Renzo fighting Hughes since it looked like a bad kickboxing match but I dont remember Royce trying to really stand with Hughes.

Relson said that Royce did not train with him or with any of the family members instead he trained in Muay Thai and some other stuff with some other guys and that is why he got his ass kicked.

Exactly. When Relson was watching that fight, he was laughing saying, "Look, Royce forgot how to escape back mount!".

one thing I cannot take seriously is when Relson's bio says he was Brazilian National champion 22 years in a row. That is like, unprecedented domination of a sport never heard of, in any sport for that matter.

well that's a straightforward question anyone can ask him at any seminar. I'm pretty sure you'll get a simple answer.

As I understand it, the "National Championship" in those days was the tournament at Gurilandia Clube in Botafogo. It was the most prestigious tournament in its day. Relson was champion of this tournament from 1963 to 1985 when he retired from competition.

Obviously times have changed, but he did compete in the toughest divisions of the biggest tournaments of his time. Also, look at what guys like Pedro Sauer said about him: "the toughest guy you will ever meet."

Relson has always been loud, brash, and aggressive but he has devoted his entire life to the practice and promotion of jiu-jitsu. Hopefully that will temper your appraisal.

Moke & The Mat Pimp is on point here. Relson is an opinionated old man these days, it's dangerous for him to do interviews like this, hard to put his words down with out a filter... A little kid at the Relson seminar last week I hosted looked at me smiled huge & said, "I couldn't understand a thing he just said!" Same little kid wasn't going to back up and say "take it easy man" before achieving the clinch. It was pretty epic.

dannybjj - 
12 -
dannybjj -  I find it quite surprising that he still believes you can be a top competitor in today's mma with only jiu jitsu, and that royce lost to Matt Hughes because royce fought using karate! And you wont get your face punched if you only use gracie jiu jitsu! :-\ Phone Post

i dont think any of them believe that.thats not the point.rickson told ralek it be better to lose with just gjj then to change everything he's been taught.something like that

Perhaps! I know you are much more in the know when it comes to that. Just commenting on what I read! Of course my reading comprehension may have not been on to well! Phone Post

im sure thats what you read,im just going by what i heard.maybe relson could be the 1 guy left that thinks that.

GrapplerX - 
303 - I am proud to be a member of Team Relson Gracie. He gets overlooked a lot but he was the world champ, and family champ for 22 years. I am lucky to have a instructor who lived with Relson in Hawaii. I know I am biased, but the best Gracie Jiu Jitsu as taught be Helio comes from Relson Gracie.

Have you trained with all the other Gracies to know? Phone Post

No I have not and I understand how that can be a broad statment, but what other Gracie also teaches Gracie Combatives as part of the curriculum? It is no secret Relson keeps it as close to Helios teaching as just about anyone. To be a BB under Relson you must obviously have master Gracie Jiu Jitsu, but also ALL of the Gracie Combatives. Helio saw BJJ as a self defense art, that when you enter a fight you should be ready to fight for 3 minutes, or 3 hours. Most other BJJ gyms teach competition specific BJJ, and there is nothing wrong with that. A goal of mine after beating cancer is travel around and train as many gyms as possible.

I guess I was a bit over zealous in saying I am proud to be a member of Team Relson Gracie and Gracie Humaita, and love the differences between our team and others. That's all, no disrespect meant at all.

While I agree he's kinda delusional, i would still love to train with him.

I am a big Relson fan but to not talk to your brother cause he lost a fight, ridiculous. He should be thanking Royce for what he did to put Gracie Jiu Jitsu on the map with his UFC victories. Kind of like Carlson said after he avenged Helio's defeat by Santana, if it wasnt for him, the family would be picking fruit somewhere, same applies to Royce!

303 - 
GrapplerX - 
303 - I am proud to be a member of Team Relson Gracie. He gets overlooked a lot but he was the world champ, and family champ for 22 years. I am lucky to have a instructor who lived with Relson in Hawaii. I know I am biased, but the best Gracie Jiu Jitsu as taught be Helio comes from Relson Gracie.

Have you trained with all the other Gracies to know? Phone Post

No I have not and I understand how that can be a broad statment, but what other Gracie also teaches Gracie Combatives as part of the curriculum? It is no secret Relson keeps it as close to Helios teaching as just about anyone. To be a BB under Relson you must obviously have master Gracie Jiu Jitsu, but also ALL of the Gracie Combatives. Helio saw BJJ as a self defense art, that when you enter a fight you should be ready to fight for 3 minutes, or 3 hours. Most other BJJ gyms teach competition specific BJJ, and there is nothing wrong with that. A goal of mine after beating cancer is travel around and train as many gyms as possible.

I guess I was a bit over zealous in saying I am proud to be a member of Team Relson Gracie and Gracie Humaita, and love the differences between our team and others. That's all, no disrespect meant at all.

the combative was put together buy torrance gracie with help from all the instructors.relon sent rhalan to torrance to learn it.did relson teach a lot of the sd,yes but so did rorion