Relson-Royce and Renzo practice Muay Thai

Here is a quote from an article publish on BJJEE.com and republished on BJpenn.com. I have heard Relson say this about Royce before at a seminar but never about Renzo:

“I think he and Renzo have forgotten Jiu-Jitsu a bit. Nowadays, you go in the gym and see them fighting Muay Thai, kicking etc. I’ll never use this in my life to fight someone. Helio Gracie would not like that, but Royce trains these things. And Royce lost to Hughes because he changed his style. If he had fought Jiu-Jitsu…”

“I think Royce disrespected my father. I have no more communication with Royce since then. I do not talk to him anymore. It affected me a lot. He took a beating because he was fighting Muay Thai. If he had walked backwards using the stomp, he would had caught Matt Hughes. If he had done it earlier in the UFC … But he changed his coach. Put me out. He never lost with me, ”

“Royce was the most amateur member of the family to fight in the UFC. If someone was to put in there to kick butt it would have been Rickson, me, or anyone who was more of brawler than Royce. Royce was never in a street fight as a boy. He never won a gold medal in Jiu-Jitsu. So, he was the most inexperienced fighter in the world. Royce has fingers like a pianist. But he followed Helio Gracie’s plan, and it paid off. On the day that he began to change, it was over for him”

It seems this quote is mostly about Royce. Heck, he only refers to Renzo once and that's in the first sentence. The rest of the quote is about Royce.

Relson, more or less, said the something in a Podcast not too long ago.

I love whenever someone from this family speaks publicly.  Always going to be entertaining.

It's interesting that other members of the family(Carlos side) like to say that Carlos was always incorperating other styles into BJJ including Boxing, Karate, etc...

I train under Rodrigo Gracie(affiliate). He is big on the SD cirriculum as well but it seems to vary a bit as there is striking involved. From what I understand, his father Reylson also incorperated striking into the cirriculum and would say that Carlos was the one that incorperated it.

I know that both Renzo & Royce have trained extensivly with Rodrigo since the mid 90's. One has to wonder if others are upset for incorperating non-Helio GJJ into the cirriculum.

FWIW, I've always held Relson in high esteem as a top level instructor. Just offering more info to the question at hand.

It's not like jiu jitsu never had any striking. In all pre-WW2 jiu jitsu/judo there was striking. But it was blended into the system. It contained kicks, punches, chops, blocks etc.

I think what Relson is talking about is when you simply add a whole other art to your fighting. Then it's not blending so seamlessly. It's more like when you're on your feet, you're a Thai kickboxer. If it happens to get to the ground, then you're a jiu jitsu fighter.

I'm guessing he'd like to see a more seamless thing where you're a jiu jitsu fighter the whole time. Using strikes where appropriate for damage and for the benefit of the jiu jitsu aspect. In that sense you will never find yourself just boxing for five minutes straight trying for a KO.

Whoops, wrong guy got KO'd.

Cue Springsteen's "Glory Days" and get Relson a beer.

Moke - It's not like jiu jitsu never had any striking. In all pre-WW2 jiu jitsu/judo there was striking. But it was blended into the system. It contained kicks, punches, chops, blocks etc.

I think what Relson is talking about is when you simply add a whole other art to your fighting. Then it's not blending so seamlessly. It's more like when you're on your feet, you're a Thai kickboxer. If it happens to get to the ground, then you're a jiu jitsu fighter.

I'm guessing he'd like to see a more seamless thing where you're a jiu jitsu fighter the whole time. Using strikes where appropriate for damage and for the benefit of the jiu jitsu aspect. In that sense you will never find yourself just boxing for five minutes straight trying for a KO.

Whoops, wrong guy got KO'd.

So you're saying that Hong Kong Fui's judo chop was legit?!

Relson's words are being taken out of context. He likes striking, throwing, etc. he just sees everything through the lens of jiu-jitsu.

Yes taken out of context.  Relson is referring to the abandoning of Jiujitsu for a striking game like muay Thai.  I don't think any of the brothers like to strike more than Relson, it's just the way and manner which Royce did it that he saw as misrepresenting his fathers Jiujitsu style.

Lol at beating Matt Hughes with a stomp kick and moving backwards.
Love Relson but he is just a bit off.