Relson's Vale Tudo Guard?

After hearing about Phil Cardella's win in GFC I am very interested in Relson's style of playing vale tudo guard. Does anyone have any footage of the fight, or can someone elaborate on Relson's guard philosophy?

Thanks!

Daniel 'Purosuco' / Carlson Gracie Holland

ttt

There is a reason why Relson doesnt put out videos my freng. Too good to share imo. Lucky for me I trained 10 years with the guy. Great stuff and always attacking.

Every time I watch a UFC and I see I guy get pounded from inside of his guard I always think of the stuff that Relson has shown us from that position. He has great defense and offense from inside of the guard.

watch allan goes vs sakuraba for the best open guard work ever

lol @ "too good to share"

One of Relson's boys should vale tudo guard his way to the UFC title

Mad Tiger= Tough ass purple belt!!

Is it similar to Sperry's vale tudo guard? As in, either keep the guy super tight, or kick him the f%ck away?

My buddy trained with madtiger and said the guy is NUTS with his loop choke and was just great all around.

For you Relson guys, would you characterize Relson's style as being very old school bjj? What kind of guards to you guys play, etc.?

There is not one person with a deep understanding of jj that wiil say that Relson is not the king of vale tudo/self-defense! actually, for someone to come on this thread and doubt the skill of relson or phil (since he most recently fought)shows how limited their knowledge is.

relson does not focus jj on winning sport titles although many of his students do very well in tournaments. rather, he focuses on street defense and also more of a vale tudo approach to mma.

to call relson's approach to guard old or new does not do it justice. he is constanly thinking of new ways to inflict pain and to negate the sporty attacks you see today. relson's jj can be summed up in one word.....PAINFUL! no matter the position he's inflicting pain.

If relson comes to your area you have to attend his seminar. if he has an association in your area you have to stop by and check it out.

it's tight - did 5 seminars and 4 hours of privates with him.

the most similar stuff I've seen is Ryron and Rener at the Gracie Academy in LA and Pedro and Gui Valente at Valente Gracie Miami in Miami (consequently, Relson often gives seminars at Valente Gracie Miami)

Relson has the most punishing "street" striking from any position, even side body bottom that I've ever seen.

poodollar and Fatbuddha summed it quite well. His techniques from any position, but most especially the guard would be very beneficial for todays mma stars. Royce used a little bit of Relson's guard techniques in his earlier fights. Relson was a big part of his training team then too.

Poodollar:
"to call relson's approach to guard old or new does not do it justice. he is constanly thinking of new ways to inflict pain and to negate the sporty attacks you see today. relson's jj can be summed up in one word.....PAINFUL! no matter the position he's inflicting pain. "
-That sounds pretty cool. Could you give some example to give me a better perspective of what you mean?

SavBjj:
"His techniques from any position, but most especially the guard would be very beneficial for todays mma stars."
-Could you give us some examples of the techniques from guard?

FatBuddha:
"Relson has the most punishing "street" striking from any position, even side body bottom that I've ever seen."
-Can you tell us what he did/recommended from bottom side as far as strikes go? Also what else did he teach from a striking perspective that wowed you so much?

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately and most that know will attest to this that in "todays" mma alot of the Relsons street/vale tudo stuff cant be used. As the MMA rules have been changed/softened up over the years.

Which is too bad BUT for that stuff that is is still within the rules....PORRA lol

are we talking about heel kicks to the kidney and spine? Remember rickson vz zulu?

Mad Tiger, nuts loop choke?? I think they have a name for it, Goo
something or other! LOL

i wont go deep into it for a few reasons...1)i am a member of the Relson Gracie Team and i dont want to divulge techniques that really gives us an advantage 2)there seems to be an assult on all things "Gracie" today so giving out information when many dogged the family that evolved jiu-jitsu makes no sense to me 3)to fully appreciate all that Relson does you really need to see it first hand from him or an instructor he endources.

this is what i will share though: Relson trained and believes jiu-jitsu is a self-defense system. therefore, his goal is to inflict damage quickly and in some cases permanently..it doesnt matter if you are in mount or guard. Relson wants to hurt you and knows how.

quick story...one seminar he was talking about vale tudo/street fighting and he was showing us how to control someone in their guard so we can head butt and where he likes to head butt in order to cause the most damage..someone asked him what part of the head does he use. without hesitation or smile he said, "my friend. i use the part of my head where God should have put my horns!" that sums up relson's jj and what he thinks he is when he's forced to use it. its as rough as Carlson's when he needs it to be and as fluid as royler's at the same time...

I've always wonder, since Rorion and Relson are very close in age and since they obviously trained alot together when they were younger (I have a video of them when they were infants, about two or three years old playing jiujitsu), if Rorion's mat skills match or are close to Relson's.

Nice stories on the man.

I'll share one street vale tudo move I learned from Flexa, who learned it from Carlson.

When someone asked him: "How do you pass guard in a streetfight?"

Flexa replied: "I stand up and smash. I don't pass":

1. He keeps his head low

2. Blocks the biceps to prevent punches

3. Throws a headbutt and jumps up to a standing wide base

4. From there he can tee off on the guy's face

5. When the guard opens he drives his knee into the opponent's hip, twisting him up sideways like a pretzel

6. Multiple punches and strikes galore

Lil Perm: It is nearly impossible to hit him inside of his guard. When he is inside of the opponets guard he is smashing the face with his head or his hands.