remember full contact karate?

i dont know people still think all karate is tma crane kick kataness when many k1 and mma guys (not to mention the one of the bases of shooto) are from karate.

Date: 01/05/07 11:08 PM
903 Total Posts Ignore User

I remember those south florida kickboxing matches. There use to be a lot of them at the Omni Hotel in WPB in the early to mid 90's
I also remember the fights at the WPB auditorium.

Good stuff. I have many pictures of these events from the 70's and 80's (they are my fathers).

Is there any chance you could scan some of those pictures and maybe post them somewhere or even sell them or something ?

"And 79...damn, I could barely use sentences."

***And this is different now because...(Just kidding)
Sparred with Bob Thurman in Kansas City a lot in those days.

I remember sitting in a pizza place at about eight years of age watching Benny Urquidez kick the snot out of some guy on television. I thought to myself, "Hey, I want to try that!"

Ironically, even after roughly 25 years in the martial arts, I still have yet to formally study any form of karate.

Bob "Thunder" Thurman vs. Jean Yves Theriult was considered a "Dream Match" of it's time. Match was won by Jean Yves.

I saw Zab Judah's dad (Yoel)fight in the 80's.

Was a really good kickboxer.

Saw him demolish Roy Kleckner then lose a close fight to (Anyone Remember) Paul Vizzio.

i slightly remeber those names celtic

jean beat steve sheperd 3 times if i remember correctly

some guy with a weird name, (i was young!)

beat steve sheperd like 3 times in wpb

only guy that us homers saw who beat steve

it was a young guy i know that, early 80's

jcblass - Thanks for the reply. My e-mail is Kbxfan@aol.com And you're right, Shepherd never fought Theriault

shootfightermike - The guy with the weird name - John Moncayo maybe ? Moncayo is the only guy that beat Shepherd more than once.

maybe!!!!

like i said i was young

but that name also rings me old bell

I remember the financial channel that latter became cnbc use to have kick boxing on sundays. I used to like watching Dennis Alexio. How does he rate against the top kick boxers.

Strikeforce always had a few Full Contact Fights on every one of their cards.

I remember watching kickboxing and Full Contact karate matches alot, on Wide World of Sports, back when I was a young kid (Timeframe 76 - 82).
I used to go to the school and community Library and check out every Karate/Martial Arts book I could find. I would do the karate (or whatever art it was)techniques for hours outside in my yard or in an empty room. People always asked me why I was punching air (lol, idiots). I couldn't afford karate, but what I had seen on tv really made me want to learn. I also had 3 brothers, 4 step brothers and tons of cousins to practice on/with. Great way to take my mind off pretty rough home life.

I do not remember alot of specifics about the fights, because I was young, but I remember that the Karate fighting was pretty good, with alot of pretty brutal action.

Man brings back some memories. I really wish I could remember some of the fighters I watched. I knew Bill Wallace and a few of the more well known guys of that era. The fights weren't shown alot so you couldn't really watch on a regular basis (At least I couldn't). Back then Bill Wallace was the man and Chuck Norris was God (much Like Today. :) )

What about Javier Mendez? He was a 2X World Champ. I hear he is the go-to-man at AKA which has an incredible stable of MMA fighters.

Paul Vizzio!!! Guy used to do kickboxing matches with combat boots and bag gloves.

Kirik you ignored my private msg and I cried.

Combat boots and bag gloves!? Kirik, PLEASE tell me you have video of that!

Th old PKA had ome great fights, would love to see a marathon of them on cable.

Especially RAY McCALLUM, Paul Vizzio. Benny the Jet, Demetrius Greek Havanas, Troy Dorsey, Billye Jack Jackson, Jean Yves Thierault, etc.

JOE CORLEY of Battle of Atlanta probably owns so great old fights he could share with us.

Date: 01/07/07 06:01 AM
1689 Total Posts Ignore User

Combat boots and bag gloves!? Kirik, PLEASE tell me you have video of that!

I have an old magazine with an article about this. Vizzio used to fight in some full contact kung fu matches in New York Chinatown, his record was 55-0 or something like that with all of his wins by KO. I think they were desert boots and not combat boots.

"Vizzio used to fight in some full contact kung fu matches in New York Chinatown"

***he did. Tough fucker.