Renato Babalu Sobral Sign With Bellator

On Friday afternoon, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney announced via Twitter the organization has inked light heavyweight Renato “Babalu” Sobral (Pictured) to a multi-fight contract.

Babalu will enter the organization’s 205-pound tournament in January.

The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion owns an extensive 37-9 professional record. He has alternated between wins and losses over his past five scraps.

The 36-year-old was last seen submitting Tatsuya Mizuno at “ONE Fighting Championship: Destiny of Warriors” in June.

Babalu holds wins over the likes of Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, Chael Sonnen, Robbie Lawler and Jeremy Horn.

Perhaps the highlight of his 15-year career, even though it came in a TKO defeat, was in August of 2006 when he challenged then-champ Chuck Liddell for his crown at UFC 62.

No,his highlight was winning the $50,000 IFC Lt.Heavyweight tournament.

WAR BABALU!

Niiiicccee Phone Post

I got to MMA spar 3-5s with Babalu, before the Mizuno fight, when I was out at Kings for a week and he was a super nice guy, so it's good to hear he signed with Bellator and should be able to fight regularly instead of being screwed around by promoters.

Babalu Vs. Lawal i hope to see that in the Tournament.

Sergio88 -  Babalu Vs. Lawal i hope to see that in the Tournament.

That would be sick. Hopefully they meet in the finals :D

Good move by Bellator signing Seraldo. I wanna see him in the LHW tournament and became their best LHW... of the night.

Good for Babalu & Bellator.