Renting with a roommate at 50. Am I a loser?

I am selling my house and finding cheap rent with a roommate to live. Does that make me loser?

i’m sick of my huge mortgage and HOA dues. Housing market in this state sucks in will continue to decline some not purchasing real estate .

Yes.

Al Cappucino - 

Yes.

Hahahahahaha

Absolutely.

You’re only one if you think you’re one. 

At your age not having a home is probably not a smart move. Maybe sell the home and buy in a better state. Being that close to 60 and not having your home paid off or at the very least quickly approaching that point would terrify me. I wouldn't go as far as calling you a loser but it doesn't sound like you are making a smart decision. 

'Loser' can be a subjective term.. but the answer is yes.

bullybull -

At your age not having a home is probably not a smart move. Maybe sell the home and buy in a better state. Being that close to 60 and not having your home paid off or at the very least quickly approaching that point would terrify me. I wouldn't go as far as calling you a loser but it doesn't sound like you are making a smart decision. 

I would be hoarding cash in order to make a no mortgage cash purchase in the future, likely in a different state.

Did you find this roommate off Craigslist?

Since93 -
bullybull -

I would be hoarding cash in order to make a no mortgage cash purchase in the future, likely in a different state.

I could only hope it works out that well brother. Be careful. Ones retirement is nothing to play with. To many seniors find themselves in horrible situations. I'd say make a five year plan to own a home outright. Then spend the next eight to ten years stuffing your pillows and mattress with cash.

Al Cappucino - 

Yes.

Since 1993 apparently...

bullybull -
Since93 -
bullybull -

I could only hope it works out that well brother. Be careful. Ones retirement is nothing to play with. To many seniors find themselves in horrible situations. I'd say make a five year plan to own a home outright. Then spend the next eight to ten years stuffing your pillows and mattress with cash.

If his retirement doesn't work out and he finds himself in a cashless situation, he can always call Magnum....

Image result for tom selleck mortgage

Indubitably 

Al Cappucino - 

Yes.

First post nailed it!

I wouldnt say loser, you seem to be doing whats right with you.  I cant imagine youre going to much enjoy living with someone else at this point tho.

Separated and that fucking ex she kept the house, I tried to find female roommates. It's hard when you've been the boss, the man, to share a place and actually be second fiddle if you rent from them. Probably easier with most guys but even so. It makes sense financially but not much otherwise. These were houses to share too. Younger yeah I had male roommates and it was always fairly smooth sailing. IDK if I'm older and less tolerant or what, but it didn't work.

Now I live with a new GF and her daughter. It's her place in the legal way but well, a man takes over. We just do.

DCgavemetheBBC -

have the future roommate move in with you, and he pays half your mortgage

This.

If you own a home currently, you aren't a loser. If you were some couch surfing 50 year old vagabond type dude , yes.

Make sure you find a roommate that is more of a catcher than a pitcher. This will at the very least make you feel not as much of a loser for a few minutes of the day.

NKcell -
DCgavemetheBBC -

have the future roommate move in with you, and he pays half your mortgage

This.

If you own a home currently, you aren't a loser. If you were some couch surfing 50 year old vagabond type dude , yes.

OP

Image result for dude on the couch

Since93 - 
bullybull -

Then not a loser at all. You're making smart decisions for your future