Respiratory Therapists or Rad Techs in the house?

I've applied to both programs. Back and forth on which of the two I want to pursue. Any RTs or Rad Techs willing to offer any advice?

Hey! My sister is a respiratory therapists!

I'm not though, so I don't really have any advise or input.

She is always broke though. Hmm... Phone Post 3.0

Not going nursing? Think about it. Not a knock on the techs, but the nurses end up with much better jobs imo.

The techs i work with get shit on. Phone Post

choadler - 

Not going nursing? Think about it. Not a knock on the techs, but the nurses end up with much better jobs imo.

The techs i work with get shit on. Phone Post

Nah, wife's a nurse. Seems to be a very saturated field right now. From all I've seen, the job outlook is really strong for RTs and the pay is comparable to nursing.

Logan Stantons finger - Hey! My sister is a respiratory therapists!

I don't know, man. Starting pay here is around 50/yr. Lot of overtime. Not going to get rich but it's a comfortable living. Does your sister work in America? (Only cause you said "advise")

Maybe get a manly job? I kid I kid...depends on where you live. Here resp techs make way more than rads

Now make me a sammich Phone Post 3.0

TheOneDylanThomas -
Logan Stantons finger - Hey! My sister is a respiratory therapists!

I don't know, man. Starting pay here is around 50/yr. Lot of overtime. Not going to get rich but it's a comfortable living. Does your sister work in America? (Only cause you said "advise")
Shit, typo. Advice*

And yeah, we're in 'murica.

Not sure what she's getting paid, but she's always hitting up the 'rents for something. Phone Post 3.0

GS27 - Maybe get a manly job? I kid I kid...depends on where you live. Here resp techs make way more than rads

Now make me a sammich Phone Post 3.0

Lol. I'm a brick mason contractor now.

Now you go make me a sandwich.

My wife is an RT. She makes just under 6 figures and could make more if she took more hours. Shes been doing it for almost 15 years and loves it.

Im a rad tech, ive been doing special procedure/ angio for 6 years and I enjoy it. Currently trying to get into a Cath Lab but my city is oversaturated with healthcate professionals.

Being a tech is fun because you get to take all the xrays and do all the neat things without having to wipe asses and deal with alot of nasty things.

When you graduate xray school you can go into CT, MRI, Rad Therapy, Nuclear Medicine, Angio, Cath Lab etc etc.. Theres alot of options, i recommend getting your bachelors in Healthcare Adminstration if you want to move up in a department/hospital.

You can make alot of money in radiology and you can also get into sales if you get Angio/Cath Lab experience.

Theres alot of career options, more than respirstory IMO Phone Post

Nursing definitely is a broad field. Not sure where you are located that's saturated but there is a shortage everywhere else.

Having said that, rad tech can be great, too. Depends on the job, though. Cathlab or MRI are great fields for rad techs. Phone Post

Rokko - Nursing definitely is a broad field. Not sure where you are located that's saturated but there is a shortage everywhere else.

Having said that, rad tech can be great, too. Depends on the job, though. Cathlab or MRI are great fields for rad techs. Phone Post

Saturated in my city. Shortages are often overstated Phone Post

Thanks for the responses, guys. Much appreciated.

E55, what state are you guys in, if you don't mind?

YVEL MACHIDA - 

Im a rad tech, ive been doing special procedure/ angio for 6 years and I enjoy it. Currently trying to get into a Cath Lab but my city is oversaturated with healthcate professionals.

Being a tech is fun because you get to take all the xrays and do all the neat things without having to wipe asses and deal with alot of nasty things.

When you graduate xray school you can go into CT, MRI, Rad Therapy, Nuclear Medicine, Angio, Cath Lab etc etc.. Theres alot of options, i recommend getting your bachelors in Healthcare Adminstration if you want to move up in a department/hospital.

You can make alot of money in radiology and you can also get into sales if you get Angio/Cath Lab experience.

Thanks Yvel. Great information. Exactly what I was hoping for. Any idea what the job outlook is for rad techs in three years?

I'm LLRT. Can't find a job Phone Post 3.0

TheOneDylanThomas -
YVEL MACHIDA -  Im a rad tech, ive been doing special procedure/ angio for 6 years and I enjoy it. Currently trying to get into a Cath Lab but my city is oversaturated with healthcate professionals.

Thanks Yvel. Great information. Exactly what I was hoping for. Any idea what the job outlook is for rad techs in three years?

It varies city by city. When i graduated in 06 i was hired right away. Now, there are not alot of openings in my city due to too many colleges graduating 30 techs every year. Theres atleast 4 colleges graduating that many techs.

The rumor is that it will open back up soon.

Rad Techs will always be needed its almost a sure bet to land a job post grad. You cant say that about alot of careers Phone Post

YVEL MACHIDA - 
TheOneDylanThomas -
YVEL MACHIDA -  Im a rad tech, ive been doing special procedure/ angio for 6 years and I enjoy it. Currently trying to get into a Cath Lab but my city is oversaturated with healthcate professionals.

It varies city by city. When i graduated in 06 i was hired right away. Now, there are not alot of openings in my city due to too many colleges graduating 30 techs every year. Theres atleast 4 colleges graduating that many techs.

The rumor is that it will open back up soon.

Rad Techs will always be needed its almost a sure bet to land a job post grad. You cant say that about alot of careers Phone Post

Thanks. I owe you a VU.

Seriously haven't met a rad tech yet who didn't enjoy their job.

I dont EVER want to shot pn the techs. I could argue that as people, they are perhaps more quality people than the nurses i work with. Very hard working, thoroughly enjoy them.

Im a 17 yr nurse, pulling down about 150k in a procedure area. The techs i work with top off at 80-90k.

Not saying its fair at all, but that is just how it is here.

A guy in nursing, in a special procedure area (not on a floor), can completely clean up. No wiping ass there. Probably havent seen a turd at work other than my own, for about 15 yrs.

Trying to give my advice, give a lot of respect and credit to the techs. Underappreciated group, but thats not a good pay group to land in. Phone Post

choadler - I dont EVER want to shot pn the techs. I could argue that as people, they are perhaps more quality people than the nurses i work with. Very hard working, thoroughly enjoy them.

Im a 17 yr nurse, pulling down about 150k in a procedure area. The techs i work with top off at 80-90k.

A guy in nursing, in a special procedure area (not on a floor), can completely clean up. No wiping ass there. Probably havent seen a turd at work other than my own, for about 15 yrs.

Trying to give my advice, give a lot of respect and credit to the techs. Underappreciated group, but thats not a good pay group to land in. Phone Post

I dont believe for a second that you are pulling in 150K as an RN in specials...if you are dont ever leave because i doubt most of the country is paying that Phone Post

YVEL MACHIDA - 
choadler - I dont EVER want to shot pn the techs. I could argue that as people, they are perhaps more quality people than the nurses i work with. Very hard working, thoroughly enjoy them.

I dont believe for a second that you are pulling in 150K as an RN in specials...if you are dont ever leave because i doubt most of the country is paying that Phone Post

Forget the RN, 80-90K for a tech?!? Where do you live? I'm moving there tomorrow.