resurection Sunday message

Today is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. The cornerstone of the Christian tradition. The promise of new life, not just life after our passing, but the promise of life after death in many ways. But do we really believe this? Is it just a nice story, that makes us feel good? Is it a mythic fable that gives us an excuse to have the family over, and think religiously for a day? Or is it the very foundation of belief in our lives?

It is easy for most of us to continue along in life, and even in our faith without truly living according to our beliefs, our values and our own personal truth. So I ask again, do you really believe it? Do you believe that Christ conquered death, that He conquered hate, that He conquered selfishness, that He was victorious over all that we face? And more importantly do you believe that He desires to do the same in and through you?

Jesus taught that death is necessary for life to come. Through His death we received life, and more than just life but the power of resurrection ourselves. But do we live with this truth at the center of our lives?

Today, and for the last few weeks I am packing my bags, throwing out excess, giving away much, and putting a few important belongings in storage. And, saying goodbye to people we have spent the last five years in close community with. It feels a little like dying. Life as we know it is changing, but the truth is, it is an end, but also a beginning. Our little church will not survive our leaving. This would seem by many a colossal failure, or the certainty that we are making a mistake. Why would God have you leave a perfectly good church to die, to start another on the other side of the globe? Good question.

I would answer that by saying, that only after a thing dies can we truly experience resurrection. The truth is our church probably would not survive even if we stayed. People are getting married and moving away. Others have left to pursue ministries of their own. Some have left for school, or the Army, or other jobs. But as our little church dies, it becomes the life of God to so many more. Because each person, carries with them what they took from this little church, and brings it to a new community of people. The leaving, the dying is painful as hell. And I have spent some time mourning, and there is more mourning to come. But I believe in the resurrection. I believe that only when we die to ourselves, and our comfortability can we truly see God's life made manifest on earth.

But this is not a special occasion, this is each and everyday. Do you really believe in the resurrection? I would say if you really believe, then you should be dying everyday. You should be experiencing the leaving of your own wants, your own comfortableness , your own security and experiencing the power of resurrection.

I will tell you with the certainty of experience, that God does great things, in dire circumstances. I can tell you from experience that it is the painful things in life that yield the most beautiful and powerful growth. It is not the great moments of friendship, romance, connection that has made my marriage a truly amazing relationship but the times of pain, and death, that become the strength, the proven character, and the hope of our lives. I can tell you that it is the reaching out, and risking, and failing, that becomes the power of God on this earth.

The fact is, you don't deserve a break today. The fact is you are not what you own. The fact is your car, your house, your job do not define you. You are made for so much more than the creature comforts of life. You are designed and destined for the resurrection. So do you believe it? Do you believe in the resurrection of Jesus? Do you believe in the resurrection of yourself? Do you believe the same power that rose Christ from the grave lives in you? If you do, do you live like that is true?

Unfortunately the answer for myself is too often no. Today reminds me that this should change.

The rev

"You should be experiencing the leaving of your own wants, your own comfortableness , your own security and experiencing the power of resurrection."

I am more than you can imagine.

Good message.

Nice! Thanks Rev!

Puzzled

"I will tell you with the certainty of experience, that God does great things, in dire circumstances. I can tell you from experience that it is the painful things in life that yield the most beautiful and powerful growth. It is not the great moments of friendship, romance, connection that has made my marriage a truly amazing relationship but the times of pain, and death, that become the strength, the proven character, and the hope of our lives. I can tell you that it is the reaching out, and risking, and failing, that becomes the power of God on this earth."

Thanks Rev. I really needed that.