Retractable awnings for house TMA/TME

My back patio area gets bombarded with sun all fucking day and while it’s good for my garden and plants it sucks for hanging out. I have a few umbrellas that go through my patio furniture and that’s cool if you’re sitting by the table but if you’re moving around or manning the grill it’s as hot as satans asshole. 

Was looking at those retractable awnings that they have and some of them are pretty nice looking. Never looked into them or did any research so figured I’d ask the OG first as I’m sure at least a few of you have some insight. 

Ok fuckers, retractable awnings for the home; TMA/TME. 

I'm tan privileged 

My old man got one at the behest of my mother. She loved it, he hated the damn thing lol.

I used to work for a general contractor that built $10-$50M homes for (obviously) wealthy clients.

One house had a motion-sensor awning that would deploy when someone walked out onto the patio.

They had to tweak it a bit, because instead of deploying slowly, it would snap out at the person walking by, hitting them in the head, then retract again, then snap again.

In been thinking of getting this vs gazeebo

1 Like

Rahjai MD -

In been thinking of getting this vs gazeebo

Yeah, I’m leaning more towards a retractable awning cause I don’t like the idea of a permanent structure. 

Altofsky -

My old man got one at the behest of my mother. She loved it, he hated the damn thing lol.

You shouldn't say such things of the woman that birthed your ingrate arse.

I put one over our back deck  similar to this but solid beige. I got the hand crank model because I didn't want to mess with all the electric wiring for a power one. You could put it out two feet or 10 feet. You could also adjust the angle it would extend (level, tilted up or tilted down) Roll it in on cloudy days - out on hot days. Loved it.

Had to have it or we would never have used the new deck I had just spent the spring constructing. 

Revenants -

I put one over our back deck  similar to this but solid beige. I got the hand crank model because I didn't want to mess with all the electric wiring for a power one. You could put it out two feet or 10 feet. You could also adjust the angle it would extend (level, tilted up or tilted down) Roll it in on cloudy days - out on hot days. Loved it.

Had to have it or we would never have used the new deck I had just spent the spring constructing. 

Yeah, I’m looking to put up something very similar, crank and about 18 feet long. 

What are the pros and cons? Is maintenance a pain in the ass? How long have you had it? What do you like about it? Dislike about it?

I used to assemble and install them for a living. They are great. Get the electric one tho. Fuck a hand crank 

The only things to watch out for are big wind and tree debris. I didn't have close-by trees (hence the need for it) but autumn leaves laying on it wet would stain it so you have to keep it clean or pitched enough that shit would blow down. Also let it dry before rolling up. Other than that it was one of the most useful things we ever did to the house.

Revenants -

The only things to watch out for are big wind and tree debris. I didn't have close-by trees (hence the need for it) but autumn leaves laying on it wet would stain it so you have to keep it clean or pitched enough that shit would blow down. Also let it dry before rolling up. Other than that it was one of the most useful things we ever did to the house.

Thanks bro, ok I think I may pull the trigger on this shit. 

TFK_Geoff G Electric -

I used to assemble and install them for a living. They are great. Get the electric one tho. Fuck a hand crank 

As far as installation goes the outside of my house is stucco, that shouldn’t be an issue, correct?