Reverse curls and Judo

do you think reverse curls better suit the needs of Judoka because they seem to me to more closely mimic the pulling movements in Judo than standard curls?

focus your training on compound movements.. deads squats military press bench press and rows after that you can mix in SOME curls if you want and ff your doing the compound movements you wont notice much of a difference between one and the other

Training for grip strength needs to get a lot of attention in Judo, but focus energy on the body core first.

I liked reverse curls because they work the forearms well, I did both back when I lifted weights.

Ben R.

i dont do reverse curls. id rather hang from a gi on a pull-up bar for as long as possible or do pull-ups/pulley-work with a judogi or a ton of other pure strength and endurance stuff we do for grips.

if its the ability to hold the gi you are worried about, you need to work with a gi as much as possible.

-resnick

"do you think reverse curls better suit the needs of Judoka because they seem to me to more closely mimic the pulling movements in Judo than standard curls?"

You dont wanna know how I do em....but bangbus.com is a great supplement I use to fuel my workouts..

"You dont wanna know how I do em....but bangbus.com is a great supplement I use to fuel my workouts.. "

I am sure you get a good wrist/hand workout from that but not very applicable to Judo I think.

"do you think reverse curls better suit the needs of Judoka because they seem to me to more closely mimic the pulling movements in Judo than standard curls?"

yes, yes I do. But as mentioned. There are other more sports specific ways to train your grip.

A pretty good one, though not really based on the gi grip, but gripping limbs (though I think it helps for both) is to get rounded wood (like a pre table leg or some other cheap dowel from a lumber store). Make sure the dowel is big enough that you have to grip it hard just to hang on to it (ie you shouldn't be able to get your hands all the way around it). Get a lenght of rope tie it to a weight. Chuck the weight across your training area and real it in back to you. You can change hand positions and so on.

this is alot like the grip roller deals, but the thing that makes the biggest difference is you not only have to move the weight with just your grip, you've got to grip like a mad man just to hang on to the pre-table leg or dowel.

a warning. You may want to do this after your done with your workouts as your grip will be shot after ward.