Rey Diogo is a BOSS

Carlson Gracie 4th degree black belt Rey Diogo is spending some time with us here in Amsterdam.

Today, he showed up at my morning class. Chilling in the sun on the porch in front of the academy, smoking a huge Fidel Casto cigar. At 9:45 am. Asks if he can join my class. Of fucken course he can. Super funny and humble guy. Does all the warm ups & drills together with the rest of the team. Then I ask him if he'd like to show some positions, he doens't want to intrude on the class, I insist and he shares some BRUTAL uard passes with us.

Dude is 50 years old, shredded, and proceeds to (respectfully) roll with & smash everyone in class. All the while helping everyone to improve their games.

Super inspirational. Just wanted to share.

Hell yeah he is Phone Post 3.0

Rey (and his blackbelts) are awesome! Phone Post 3.0

I don't follow these things closely, but how is he only 4th degree? Wasn't he teaching at Beverly Hills as far back as the late 90's?

Yeah, that's Rey. lol.

Moke - I don't follow these things closely, but how is he only 4th degree? Wasn't he teaching at Beverly Hills as far back as the late 90's?

Hmm,... I have never heard of him teaching at BHJJ. Maybe Andre would know, but I don't THINK so. He did have a school on Melrose or 3rd St callled "Los Angeles Jiu Jitsu". that was in the mid 1990's, but he got deported. Lol.

Rey recieved all his ranks from Carlson Gracie, Sr. Carson promoted him to 4th degree around 2005, IIRC, about a year or so before Carlson passed away.

shen - 
Moke - I don't follow these things closely, but how is he only 4th degree? Wasn't he teaching at Beverly Hills as far back as the late 90's?

Hmm,... I have never heard of him teaching at BHJJ. Maybe Andre would know, but I don't THINK so. He did have a school on Melrose or 3rd St callled "Los Angeles Jiu Jitsu". that was in the mid 1990's, but he got deported. Lol.

Rey recieved all his ranks from Carlson Gracie, Sr. Carson promoted him to 4th degree around 2005, IIRC, about a year or so before Carlson passed away.

My bad, I brain-farted and was thinking about Marcus. I had a friend that lived near Beverly Hills and he trained with Rey...still it was the late 90's though...

I was at BHJCC for a few years and i don't remember rey diogo teaching there. i remember him teaching at carlson's school near the beverly center.

BHJCC had quite a rotation of BJJ instructors. The original instructors were Richard Bresler, Lowell Anderson and Ethan Milius. Then Richard and Lowell left and Ethan and Marc Laimon held down the fort until Fabiano Iha showed up. After Fabiano was fired then they went through a few guest instructors like Joe Moriera. Then finally Marcus Vinicius took over and it still the head instructor there. This is what I remember. I could be wrong.

No I don't believe he ever taught at BHJJ, I was confused. But my point was that he was a black belt in the late nighties and yet only a 4 striper now in 2014. Is he not accepting anymore promotions since Carlson's passing?

He is made of concrete Phone Post 3.0

He got his black belt in 1997. I vaguely remember him saying he's supposed to receive his 5th degree next year but I think technically he is supposed to already be 5th degree?

SpeedKing9 - He got his black belt in 1997. I vaguely remember him saying he's supposed to receive his 5th degree next year but I think technically he is supposed to already be 5th degree?

Technically, I think when Carlson gave Rey his 4th degree, he was a 3rd degree according to the IBJJF timetable. But Carlson, like Helio, promoted according to his own timetable. Now, years later, Rey is eligible --according to the IBJJF timetable-- to be a 5th degree. Honestly though, as you know, Rey has never cared about nor discussed rank much.

Sorry, DP.

I train at an academy in Tucson, Az that is ran by a Rey Diogo bb. Im not too familiar with Rey, but the guys at this academy are killers. Phone Post 3.0

I have never trained with him but have heard lots of good stuff about him. But, he has produced lots of good guys at the lower belt levels and raised home grown talent to Pan and Worlds medalists.

I just remember last year at Pans, he was walking through a crowded hallway on his cell phone just yelling at whoever was on the other side in a ballistic rage. He was livid with whoever it was and did not seem to give a f**k that it was in public. Probably would not want to have been the person on the other side of that phone

Not surprised. He's a hilariously harsh dude.

Rey's dvd set from Island was pretty good

shen -
SpeedKing9 - He got his black belt in 1997. I vaguely remember him saying he's supposed to receive his 5th degree next year but I think technically he is supposed to already be 5th degree?

Technically, I think when Carlson gave Rey his 4th degree, he was a 3rd degree according to the IBJJF timetable. But Carlson, like Helio, promoted according to his own timetable. Now, years later, Rey is eligible --according to the IBJJF timetable-- to be a 5th degree. Honestly though, as you know, Rey has never cared about nor discussed rank much.

This. IIRC 3 yrs for the first two degrees, then 5 yrs for the next couple of degrees. If he got his bb in 97 that'd put him at 4th degree today. His his instructional tapes were awesome back in the day. Phone Post 3.0

The last person to make me hyper ventilate. I was a blue and he did knee on belly to me. He kept telling me not to give up as his knee was touching my spine. Just as I was about to tap he switched to something else to make the torture last longer, lol Phone Post 3.0

Moke - I don't follow these things closely, but how is he only 4th degree? Wasn't he teaching at Beverly Hills as far back as the late 90's?
A lot of the Carlson bb don't take rank anymore since the big fellow is gone. Carlson Junior didn't for a long time but started again from the ibjjf. Phone Post 3.0