RH kicks on pads vs on heavy bag

Hi all,

Are the roundhouse kicks done on thai pads and roundhouse kicks done on the heavy bag the same technique?

Usually on the heavy bag I execute my roundhouse kicks more on a horizontal plane with a lot of hip and foot rotation. But I notice on the Thai pads the RH kicks are done more on a sharp upward angle looking more like the kyokushin style kicks in the old thread here before. I've checked out some youtube clips and it seems to be like this as well.

When I kick the thai pads I don't feel like I can get much hip or feet rotation in. Should it be like this?

Obviously I should be asking my coach but I won't see him til tomorrow night and would like to practice as much before then to get the hang of it.

Thanks all!

the technique should be the same for both, but I've found that with a heavy bag many times you do have the habit of kicking on a horizontal plane instead of an upwards angle.

The upwards angle is actually more practical. Shorter kicking angle, faster, harder to defend. I've found that there is a heavy bag I use at the gym that is hung higher than others... the bottom of the bag is at my hip level. I kick this bag on an upwards angle.

Thing is, when you kick on an upwards angle, you should still be rotating into the kick as if you've kicked on the horizontal. If you're not doing this, you're shortchangting your kick, IMO....

perfect example!!!!

notice that as I'm demonstrating this kick, I'm only kicking thigh level. Lazy, IMO..... (I'm also fat)

(after watching this clip again, kicks #3 & #4 are pretty bad.... the others are "ok". Not great, though)

In this clip, I think I'm kicking pretty decently. Kick kinda begins its trajectory on an upwards angle before cutting over...

The angle should actually be on a slightly more upwards angle for my tastes, though

Interesting demos - thanks KK.

Khun Khao, so I should do a sharper upwards angle and when I make impact on the thai pads the force should be cutting through on a more horizontal plane which happens because of the rotation?

Thanks for the clips. You're not fat :).

IronMonkey....

Yes, exactly! The kick launches on an upwards trajectory, but when you reach the target is when you roll your hip over and the trajectory changes.... It'll cut across horizontally, and even back downwards as the hip rolls over.

I was still fat in the 1st vid clip... around 220 (or more) at the time. I'm 190 now.

nice work - 190!!

Trying to get back down in the mid-180's

Not a bad kick. It is the way I would instruct it. Another thing I like to stress is to consider acclerating the kick thru the curve. When the right hand passes the right rear knee try to acclerate the kick by turning your hips over. Just try it and everybody should see their kicks improve. Kick starts and ends slightely slower than at the striking area.

Everybody follow?

Thanks all for the tips. I think I still suck at it on the Thai pads but practice makes perfect.

Thanks for the tips Khun Kao and hitmeharder.

hitmeharder - good tip - that defs adds a little extra "snap".

One thing I'd like to point out too is that little variations in technique are a GOOD thing. You will kick a little differently on the pads than you do on the bag...and you will kick a little different when shadow boxing, sparring, etc.

Play with the angles a bit. As KK points out the 45 degree kick is very useful--it works really well if someone likes to keep their elbows high for instance, and it works well when thrown to the lower ribs.

For leg kicks you really need to turn over more to get the most power, and with head/neck kicks you (generally) need to turn your hip over a lot more to get thru a guy's guard.

Although I have been playing with the Cro Cop/kyokushin high kick lately. It's a nice change-up and if you watch Peter Aerts' fights he uses a similar style of kick as he backs out of the clinch.

Good point WT - the kicks I throw fighting are def different to those in training (pads, shadow, whatever) cos of going for what is effective more than what looks good....