Ric Flair's Real Prime

Look, his series with Steamboat and his feud with Funk in '89-'90 were fucking epic, but he had someone great to work with.

The era of pre nWo WCW Nitro is where Flair took his game up another level. He was saddled with Steve McMichael and Boring Benoit and Flair turned that into a great faction. He lost a step in the ring, but his promos became more animated, his references were better, he became the best at cutting a promo because no one around him could talk.

Then, on Nitro, the Horsemen had a roped off VIP Section at ringside. They'd sit at a table with fruit and champagne with models and watch Nitro..........Perfect.

His best promo work was definitely as you said...

i think he wrestled his best and most effortlessly around 1984. his feuds with race, kerry, and even his matches with steamboat and rhodes were top notch american work for the time.

I might be a little overly sentimental about late 80s/early 90s WCW. The mid 80s Flair-Steamboat go 'round was just as good and you're right about his work with Rhodes and Race topping his funk matches.

The great thing about Flair is that for the length of time he was on screen, he was a sportsman and a champion and he made us care about that belt because he did. 

I wish that we got some better Flair-Muta. Sting-Muta was great, but I wish Flair got in there and really worked a proper program where they had a level of comfort.

lol Flair was awesome pre-NWO, and actually, even post-NWO, shit-era WCW when he started going nuts and knee/elbow dropping his suit jackets.

When that shit started, he began to turn the corner into all-time awesomeness.

Bobby Lupo -  he became the best at cutting a promo because no one around him could talk./

I always liked AA's promos, because he really seemed to believe what he was saying. Not the most charismatic guy, but definitely seemed like a tough, blue-collar ass-kicker.

Don't forget the 90 minute house show matches with Windham.

Sans Barksdale - 
Roy Batty - 
Bobby Lupo -  he became the best at cutting a promo because no one around him could talk./

I always liked AA's promos, because he really seemed to believe what he was saying. Not the most charismatic guy, but definitely seemed like a tough, blue-collar ass-kicker.

I actually thought Anderson was a better promo guy than Flair. Flame away.

I wouldn't say better, but I say he was on Flair's level.

Nuckin Futs - 
Sans Barksdale - 
Roy Batty - 

AA wasn't bad on the mic, but he was very one note. There wasn't any depth to his character, Heel AA and non heel AA were the same guy. I had a hard time believing that Flair is hanging out in the club with the Andersons. 

As far as Flairs real prime, I say it has to be when he was the NWA champion and the territories still existed.

He had to go everywhere and wrestle the main person in each place. Not only wrestle them, but carry them to great match. Unlike Hogan who would squash everybody in short order, Flair had to make his opponent look great.

He was leaving the territory after the big match, but the local hero was still going to be there. He left everyone with the thought that hero was so close to winning the big belt.

He got the 60 minute man moniker from that time frame. He would carry practically anybody to a 60 minute match night after night.

Nuckin Futs - As far as Flairs real prime, I say it has to be when he was the NWA champion and the territories still existed.

He had to go everywhere and wrestle the main person in each place. Not only wrestle them, but carry them to great match. Unlike Hogan who would squash everybody in short order, Flair had to make his opponent look great.

He was leaving the territory after the big match, but the local hero was still going to be there. He left everyone with the thought that hero was so close to winning the big belt.

He got the 60 minute man moniker from that time frame. He would carry practically anybody to a 60 minute match night after night.

Gotta say I agree with this. A lot of Flair's greatest work was not documented for further viewing.

Bobby Lupo - 
Nuckin Futs - 
Sans Barksdale - 
Roy Batty - 

AA wasn't bad on the mic, but he was very one note. There wasn't any depth to his character, Heel AA and non heel AA were the same guy. I had a hard time believing that Flair is hanging out in the club with the Andersons. 

Ole was a mack daddy!

Roy Batty - 
Bobby Lupo - 
Nuckin Futs - 
Sans Barksdale - 
Roy Batty - 

Ole was a mack daddy!

If I'm the club doorman, Flair cuts the line Tim Hague style, but I don't want those two bearded and balding Andersons in my club. Flair needed a better crew of Windham, Luger and Tully.

I think Arn was born at age 43.

Just to let you know how fucking brilliant Flair is and how much he cared about that era, my friend was drinking with him a few weeks ago and my boy briefly mentioned a long forgotten promo about where AA was on New Years Eve Eve. 15 years and 15 beers into it, Flair finishes the line..."Mean By God Gene, Double A is at the Marriott drinking a Miller Lite so cold it could freeze the hand of an Eskimo."

My boy was astounded and said that we'd make it a yearly holiday of NYEE and Flair said he couldn't be held responsible for anything that happens during a Flair inspired holiday.