Richest athlete in sports history

What about Jordan with all that Hanes money!?

e. kaye -

FYI:  http://www.celebritynetworth.com/list/top-50-richest-athletes/

Arnold Palmer

Wow good find.
$675 million dollars net worth!!!
Holy shit! Phone Post 3.0

Nick Diaz Fan -
MMA Lives Here -
MMALOGIC -
Nick Diaz Fan - Will a mma fighter make it in the top 50 list eventually? Phone Post 3.0

no.  In my opinion the most an mma fighter will ever make is 20m (in todays dollars) - and Im being generous.

Zuffa doesnt pay a fighter what he's worth in the UFC... Zuffa pays the top fighters what they'd be worth in the open without the UFC name, distribution, marketing, roster, etc... plus a little bit more to make it a no brainer to stay in the UFC.

GSP gets 4m a fight because that's a little more than what he'd make on his own... without the UFC name, distribution, roster, marketing, etc...

and when you look at it from that perspective you realize a fighter's value will likely never be more than 20m outside Zuffa, no matter how big the UFC gets.

Who's getting mexico, brazil, china, india TV deals? who else is getting fox level money? 

Nobody has yet to even crack ppv in the mma space other than zuffa.   

it may not even get as high as 20m (in todays dollars)... maybe 10m to 15m.  UNless someone else can figure out how to monetize mma talent even remotely close to Zuffa there will be very little upward pressure on UFC pay.

Right now zuffa is creating the pressure on it's own pay... the better it promotes fighters the more their value increases in the open market.  Wanna know why the brand is first and fighter second?  that's one of the reasons.

You have to properly manage a fighters value in the open market until you reach a certain point where you've virtually  monopolized the talent pool (so they cant get opponents in the open market), monopolized the distribution (so they cant get the word out).  monopolized the revenue streams (lock down the venues that produce the big money gates, lock down and saturate the ppv, etc...) 

Zuffa has pretty much reached that point and that's why you are now seeing more fighter focused promotion.

Your best post in months. Phone Post 3.0
True but if big competition comes along and offers more to the mma fighter thats going to be the likeliest way, say like a rich arab family gets involved but i dont see it happening Phone Post 3.0

This. Someone with that Arab money needs to come in and literally start picking off ufcs roster if there is going to be any sort of competition. Anyone trying to come from the groubd up and compete with entry level fighters is going to have a really tough time. Phone Post

It's a shame that Mayweather has zero$ in endorsement.

What Money made in one fight is what a billion would earn you tax free at 5% interest per year. I doubt he is gaining on anyone who has close to a billion, Tiger maybe?, and owns equities, real estate, tax free muni's, etc..... Phone Post

Chomas - Mayweather spends it like he makes it, and he doesn't have the endorsements like Tiger or Jordan.

"Speaking of his bank account, Tim Keown of ESPN The Magazine saw for himself that Mayweather has $123 million in a single account, and it stands to reason that there is much more where that came from."

If you count Bernie Eccelstone's early career as a driver, then he is the richest by far.  His net worth is at least $3.8 billion.

Nick Diaz Fan -
e. kaye -

Top F1 driver's are among the biggest earners in any sport. 

Hamilton and Alonzo are paid $25 million this season.

Alonso made $38 million last year. 

And that is without outside pay or endorsements.

And soccer.  Renaldo just signed for $40 million a year I think.

I know gareth bale cost madrid 100 million i wonder what his salary is Phone Post 3.0

He gets £300k a week. Not sure what that is in $. Phone Post

hedfunk -
Nick Diaz Fan -
e. kaye -

I know gareth bale cost madrid 100 million i wonder what his salary is Phone Post 3.0

477 000 accord8ng to google., not including sponsers and he was a big deal in uk sport. Phone Post

MMALOGIC - 
Nick Diaz Fan - Will a mma fighter make it in the top 50 list eventually? Phone Post 3.0

no.  In my opinion the most an mma fighter will ever make is 20m (in todays dollars) - and Im being generous.

Zuffa doesnt pay a fighter what he's worth in the UFC... Zuffa pays the top fighters what they'd be worth in the open without the UFC name, distribution, marketing, roster, etc... plus a little bit more to make it a no brainer to stay in the UFC.

GSP gets 4m a fight because that's a little more than what he'd make on his own... without the UFC name, distribution, roster, marketing, etc...

and when you look at it from that perspective you realize a fighter's value will likely never be more than 20m outside Zuffa, no matter how big the UFC gets.

Who's getting mexico, brazil, china, india TV deals? who else is getting fox level money? 

Nobody has yet to even crack ppv in the mma space other than zuffa.   

it may not even get as high as 20m (in todays dollars)... maybe 10m to 15m.  UNless someone else can figure out how to monetize mma talent even remotely close to Zuffa there will be very little upward pressure on UFC pay.

Right now zuffa is creating the pressure on it's own pay... the better it promotes fighters the more their value increases in the open market.  Wanna know why the brand is first and fighter second?  that's one of the reasons.

You have to properly manage a fighters value in the open market until you reach a certain point where you've virtually  monopolized the talent pool (so they cant get opponents in the open market), monopolized the distribution (so they cant get the word out).  monopolized the revenue streams (lock down the venues that produce the big money gates, lock down and saturate the ppv, etc...) 

Zuffa has pretty much reached that point and that's why you are now seeing more fighter focused promotion.

If Anderson Silva, pre knockout loss, fought GSP on a ppv outside the UFC, I guarantee they would make more than what the UFC pays them.

Tiger was the highest paid athlete in the world for like 10 years. I'd be surprised if it wasn't him. Jordan is probably up there with how much Nike money he continues to make. Buying the Bobcats probably lost him quite a bit of money though Phone Post

e. kaye -

FYI:  http://www.celebritynetworth.com/list/top-50-richest-athletes/

Arnold Palmer

So many flaws in that list Phone Post 3.0

Michael Jordan has to be up there.
And I'm sure Wayne Gretzky is too. Phone Post

American Football is terrible to watch. Sorry. I grew up on it, played it into college. From the time I was 8 or so until I was 22 I don't think I missed a Super Bowl OR a Grey Cup and if my football season conflicted with the Canadian championship, I VCR'd it and watched it later.

Since 2002 I don't think I've watched more than 3 Super Bowls, and the ones I have watched I fell asleep during.

Maybe I'm getting old, but the game is more like baseball than the sport I grew up with. Too many commercials. Too many TV timeouts. Why does a game that should take about 90 minutes real time have to be stretched out over 3+ hours sometimes? Stop go, stop, go, stop, go, 3 minutes of commercials. Sorry, fuck,

off.

Soccer, Hockey, Rugby. Running time, fast paced, zero commercials for two of those and limited in one.

I don't even like hockey but if you gave me a choice I'd rather watch hockey...

Devlin -
hedfunk -
Nick Diaz Fan -
e. kaye -

477 000 accord8ng to google., not including sponsers and he was a big deal in uk sport. Phone Post

Was watching Spanish football programme on sky the other night, bale is on 15m euro net a year, Ronaldo has just signed a new deal and the official word out of Real Madrid is that it's 17m euro a year but what's being reported is that's its actually 21million euros net. And with Ronaldo getting that, messi is in talks to renew his contract to take him to 22million. Will try and work out dollars Phone Post

22million euro equals 29 mil dollars after tax, Spanish income tax is 45% so looking at about 54 million dollars before tax messi will be on, and he will also have other endorsements on top of that. Phone Post

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/06/18/mayweather-tops-list-of-the-worlds-100-highest-paid-athletes/

Mayweather was #1 in 2012

Jordan and Woods are both industries unto themselves. They've probably each generated a billion dollars.