Rick Barry

i was watching an interview on ESPN(?) with Rick Barry. He was saying he wants to coach in the NBA, but teams won't even call him back. Does anyone know why his reputation was/is so bad?

he is considered a very arrogant prick, he was an asshole when he played and even in his personal life. It does seem he has mellowed some but the guy was so competitive he got a T in an all-star game, hell they wanted to throw him out, lol

he lived and acted a certain way in life and now he is paying for it, just like Kareem. They both were assholes to the media when they played. They were very closed off people, now they want to be more open because they want NBA jobs, well I think they would both be very good coaches, especially Barry but you have to sleep in the bed you made, I think they should get a shot but I don't have much sympathy for them

"It does seem he has mellowed some but the guy was so competitive he got a T in an all-star game, hell they wanted to throw him out, lol"

For what?? Not like it matters, there's no way in hell that he could even come close to Pete Rose's competitive nature. lol

"the guy was so competitive he got a T in an all-star game" - this literally made me laugh.

"For what?? Not like it matters, there's no way in hell that he could even come close to Pete Rose's competitive nature. lol "

Yes it could, Barry was fucking crazy, he was more competitive than Jordan. Him and Rose are the same. Barry was just nuts. and he is also very opinionated. He voices his opinion alot and for one the warriors don't like his takes, so why would they ask him to help out, let alone coach their team.

All his kids hated him growing up except for Brent. Now they all have good relationships with him but growing up he pushed them so hard and plus the fact he was such a cock to their mother

Dennis Rodman will be back starting for detroit before Rick Barry gets a coaching job.

"Barry was fucking crazy, he was more competitive than Jordan"sj, thanks again for the info.lol at a Rick Barry interview.{JockBio.com: Was that the high point of your career? Rick Barry: Definitely. That's what it's all about. Winning. The way that it happened, in "Cinderella" fashion, with the camaraderie, there's nothing better. I wish I could have had that experience more than one time in the NBA.

JockBio.com: How did you lose that series?

Rick Barry: We altered the chemistry after the championship season and it hurt us. Against the Suns, we made some tactical mistakes and wound up losing a series we should have won. Had we still had Butch Beard I believe we would have won a second championship. It was sad. He was traded away because the GM, Dick Vertlieb, couldn't stand listening to Butch's wife complain to him all the time. To think that we lost the chance to repeat because of that.

I met Rick a few years ago and he was cool for the five seconds lol.

Rick does a radio show out here in the Bay Area and I listen to him while working. He kinda sounds like a prick, still a perfectionist, and you can tell he still wants to be the best. He recently auctioned off a dinner with he and Nate Thurmond for charity. He warned the potential winner not to bring any recorders which cracked me up. Paranoid.

With that said, he should be a coach if you have a soft team. A perfectionist, a prick, and a winner. That's what I want in a coach. He'd make a better college coach IMO.