Rickson awes Paulo Filho!!!

http://www.graciemag.com/?c=145&a=4184

Rickson awes Paulo Filho
Bomb!! Paulo Filho, Brazilian Top Team's undefeated MMA champion, is training with Rickson Gracie.

He confessed to GRACIEMAG.com to be astonished with the experience. Filho reveals that he has never seen anyone with the technical knowledge of the great Jiu-Jitsu myth. "I have trained with the toughest guys formed by Carlson Gracie. They were all great and I for sure don't want to diminish anybody, but I have to say that no one ever did to me what Rickson Gracie has done during training these last days," confesses last Pride Bushido star. Filho also clarifies that did not change teams. He is still part of BTT, although he points out that he maintains a certain degree of technical secrecy: "The opportunity I'm having is unique, so I'm not divulging it. Those are techniques that I intend to incorporate to my fighting, and hopefully will make me a more worthy Jiu-Jitsu representative."

Back in the 90's it was common for a great Jiu-Jitsu champion to train with Rickison and come out astonished. That was the case of Fabio Gurgel, Renzo Gracie, Roberto Roleta, Alexandre Paiva, Nino Schembri, among others. Filho statements are much more powerful for two reasons:

1) It is current news. It's been ten years since any first class fighter came public with such statements. Many even thought that Rickson's supremacy was a thing of the past.

2) Filho comes from the Carlson Gracie's lineage, where opinions about Rickson were the most skeptical within the world of Jiu-Jitsu, but maybe only because no one from Carlson's side had ever the opportunity to train with the icon before Filho. Rickson is training in Brazil for about five months now. Filho confirms that, despite his age, the Gracie is at his top physical shape.

Seriously impressive coming from someone with the grappling skills of Paulao!

Wow, thats awesome.

Fucking A

People will still doubt Rickson anyway.

People don't doubt Rickson's abilities. They doubt hes 400-0.........

No, people doubt his abilities.

People have doubted his MMA abilities, but I don't think anyone with a brain has doubted has grappling abilities.

Ryan G is correct- dont know why so many people doubt his BJJ greatness. Even though Paulo just said this, many BJJ champs have been saying the same thing for years.

I think it speaks volumes, as there was a thread about Filho on hear a few weeks ago with people talking about how he is the evolution of bjj in mma today. And to have someone from Carlson's camp, hell Paulo has the double pitbull logo tattooed on him, to finally train and then give praise to Rickson's skills should finally silence a lot of critics.

Fabio Santos, a long time close family friend of the Gracies, always maintained that Rickson was by far and away the best Jiu-jitsu stylist he's ever encountered. Rolls, until his untimely death in the hang gliding accident, was the family champ, whom Fabio described as "mean as a snake". After that, Rickson was supreme.

yeah i agree, i don't think people doubt that he's a great grappling champ, but they doubt that he'd be any good in todays MMA given his troubles taking Takada to the ground and subpar striking.

The legend continues to grow! Very nice to hear that he's still at that level...

There's no if about it. The real question is, how long does it take Rickson to tap Filho?

LOL, all the Rickson nut huggers are gonna go nuts now.

Rickson vs Fedor

Rickson vs Zangeif

The Question is , Are these statements meant to over hype Rickson as to pull a larger payday if he fights?
Im not doubting he is being truthful , Im just wondering if he's exagerating a bit out of respect for Rickson.

48 ain't too old to fight

Liborio by armbar rd 1 2:36

ttt

Carlson produced top fighters and a fighting team because that is what he focused on. I don't remember Rickson ever trying to produce a top MMA team or even grapplers for tourney's. He just taught BJJ for self defense which is what the Gracie's originally created the style for.

How good was Funaki? Rickson tapped him with a RNC, I know Funaki beat Bas,FShamrock etc..