Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

Yes, that’s him.

Without hesitation can I say Royce Gracie’s seminar was THE worst I’ve ever been to.

Never seen a BJJ instructor --or any martial arts instructor-- have a worse attitude. Zero f@cks given by that guy. Zero.

BUT, saying he is a ‘Blue Belt’ is insane… even thought he was quite LITERALLY wearing a Blue Belt at that seminar. LOL. (He really was).

8 Likes

Hes more like a new purple?

1 Like

just stop already… Whats ur rank ?Im purple not that it matters but anyone in the BJJ community knows Rickson is a legand and for good reason.Rigan BTW was a very legid blackbelt Go roll with Rickson and show us the video

3 Likes

i would own todays rickson with modern bjj technique.

1 Like

In Case you thought i was making it up: There is a thread about it from 12 years ago.
https://forums.mixedmartialarts.com/t/what-happened-to-dave-camirillos-tattoo/1456683

1 Like

I last saw Rockson in August 2000, kid was super respectful at the Academy to the point you would never imagine him hanging with the wrong crowd let alone doing drugs.

I saw affiliates come in from out of town and he greeted them like family. Was so shocking to hear that December he was gone/missing. Don’t remember the time line but I want to say by December we heard he was dead.

1 Like

On top of that I remember little Kron. He was around and trained and competed but was clearly not that interested overall. I remember one time at a tourney asking him to roll (he’d be a Gracie I coukd actually submit), I was joking with him and I will never forget he tugged at his shirt “I don’t have a gi”. He had been rolling around with kids his age. Was really incredible to see him become the BJJ badass! Truly someting special!

2 Likes

Fucking Gracies use any excuse to duck a challenge.

2 Likes

Yeah when Reason opened his academy, all his family came. All of the family were super cool, especially Hello. It’s like we were his grandchildren and he was the proud grandpa.

Royce had his arms folded with an imperial look, giving yes or no answers.

I met Rickson at a BJJ tournament, with Aussie martial arts actor Richard Norton. He was slightly aloof, but friendlier than Royce.

1 Like

One of my sons went to HS with the son of a Gracie in the Central Valley. Apparently, the Gracie kid had a bunch of followers and they would show up at parties and bully other dudes.

Not sure if that is isolated behavior, or family/cultural.?.

4 Likes

OK, now in English!

1 Like

We could dream.

4 Likes

Ttt

Not doubting it, just stating how ragingly homosexual itis

I dig the King Hippo btw, no homo…

That was an easy read homie, was it edited after your “Now in English” request?

1 Like

Yeah ok. I have no dog in the fight but

1 Like

Prove otherwise. I actually have a very legitmate dog in the fight, but I’m a private person lol.

1 Like

Keenan called him and Helio modern purple belts lol so that definitely isn’t true.

2 Likes

There is truth that modern sport BJJ has evolved quite a bit, BUT Gracie family jiu jitsu was designed for FIGHTING, not tournaments.

Sport BJJ =/= fighting. A more apples to apples criticism of GJJ would be to compare it to modern MMA.

If you want BJJ that “works” in a fight context there are some necessary compromises you have to make. Some of these will put you in a disadvantage in modern sport BJJ. I mean Lapel Guard is great for Sport BJJ, but if you want your stuff to be completely fight ready, it’s basically a waste of time.

1 Like